Thread: L76 E38 no injector pulse

Tuner in Training

L76 E38 no injector pulse

Hi all! Very newbie here! have a L76 running an E38 ECM in a kitcar and have no injector pulse. tried all sorts of cures from reading the forum but to no avail! No fault codes and have not changed the any of the tune as it has to pass engineering and our dept of transport inspection. have got the starter relay disabled and are directly starting it instead of using the ecu to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated E38, and running a porsche gearbox so only need spark and fuel.
    Best regards

Was the VATS and starter check/relay dealio disabled with a write entire?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Hi 5FDP
    yes ive checked all the basic things including VATS and starter check and done a write entire, should i see inj pulse while cranking? checked voltages at injectors, all good , do i need to tell the ECM im cranking? Im not using a powertrain module and therefore i dont have the signal to the ECM that i am wanting to start, Thanks for the help as i am very new to this and tearing hair out !!

Post the tune you have in it right now.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post the tune you have in it right now.
    Hope this works couldnt see an "attach file " anywhere.....
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like you applied the 2 bar OS to this file.

You should not have done that if you don't plan to run boost. The 3 VE table have zero data in them, so now you have no fuel. Plus it changes the MAP sensor data to 2 bar settings, also further screwing things up if you are on a completely stock engine.

Go back to the stock tune with a write entire and ONLY change the VATS and starter stuff.

Tuner in Training
    Thankyou 5FDP the learning curve is steep! Your help is greatly appreciated! I did see the 2 bar but as i was sure i had not changed it i left it alone. thanks again for the help!

Tuner in Training
    I cant seem to cancel the "speed density 2 bar " even if i open the sample file for the camaro E38 it has the 2bar code modification allready set and i cant change it, any ideas?

The code modification will always show in the stock tune, just never apply that code if you don't plan to use it. The calibrations details page will show the stock OS and the 2 bar OS if applied to the file.

So you don't have the stock factory file that the computer came with? Or did you buy this computer used from someone?

If you don't have that or didn't save the stock file then you will be kinda stuck.

There are ways to make that 2 bar tune work but the stock tune file is quicker and easier. You'd have to apply the 1 bar MAP sensor data back into the tune and create the 3 new VE tables. The two axis are flip flopped between the stock VVE tables and the 2 bar's VE tables so you need to use a spread sheet to correct all that.

Tuner in Training
    I dont seem to have a calibration detail page , could you have a look at this as its the earliest copy i have from the ecu. The ecu came from a wrecker that supplied the motor but the ecu may not have been from my exact motor..oldecu28032021.hpt
    have tried this version but still no pulse!!

Tuner
    oldecu28032021vatspatchenabled.hpt
    this should get you running. vats patch was still disabled. remember to always save a stock file, then copy and start tuning on the copied file. fuel pump should prime first unless you have it running all the time with key on. 2bar is not applied on this one. do a full rewrite.

Tuner in Training
    Hi CranknChrome
    Thanks for the help, i tried the file and saved the log, no start , lambo30032021ver2.hpl now im wondering if its my wiring but i have checked and rechecked and cant spot the mistake!
    Any help greatly appreciated !

Tuner in Training
    Can anyone tell me what could stop an injector pulse in an E38? All injectors test ok (click when grounded ) got fuel pressure, any help greatly appreciated

Tuner in Training
    hi all Can anyone tell me where "fuel source " is as i had some help today and he said "fuel source is "IMOB" hence no injector pulse, and yes VATS has been turned off.

Tuner

try this

oldecu28032021vatspatch.hpt

try this same thing full rewrite. not sure where a fuel source or what it is on the program. never seen it. maybe you have gotten by now..

Tuner in Training
    Hi all, sorry for the delayed reply but yes, i did solve the problem! number one problem was that for some unexplained reason HPTuners was not displaying the injector time in the window, it was blank! which i took to mean NO injector pulse, this was incorrect as a tuner that looked at the data told me that indeed i did have injector pulse. testing with a noid light proved this even tho HPTuners had the window blank. but it still wouldn't start !! 8 blocked injectors caused by buying a motor out of a wreck and letting it stand for 6 years while i built the car. our crappy fuel turns to shellac over this time!
    Boiled the 8 injectors in fuel injector cleaner for an hour cleaned up 4 but the other 4 would not budge! bought 8 new injectors and the motor runs and starts fine but still no injector pulse time in window!
    Hope this helps somebody!