Thread: C5 with LS7 lingenfelter glowing red CATS

Potential Tuner

C5 with LS7 lingenfelter glowing red CATS

Hello to everyone on this forum. My name is Toni and I'm from Barcelona SPAIN.
    I recently have bouht a 2002 C5 Z06 with an LS7 cammed lingenfelter engine (580RWHP on dyno).
    Now I have to pass the emissionn control and I install a new set of cats, and I could see at idle the cats overheat and glowing red. When rev to static 2000rpm cats temp goes down and have no red cats.
    There is no misfire, no codes, and AEM AFR stays arround 14,7, I try different idle timming from 13 degree to 26 degree and cats still glowing red at idle.
    Injectors are BOSCH 0280156030.
    O2 sensors are new.
    Plugs are new NGK TR6
    Cats are Magnaflow 59959, I also try KOOKS 307540 and all glowing red.

I also have a 2008 Z06 with a camed American Heritage engine (615rwhp dyno) with oem injectors, TR6 pluggs, and Kooks complette exhaust (307540 cats) and have no problem, cats still hot but no glowing red cats and pass emission control with no problem.

Any help will be apreciate.
    I can send datalogs and actual tune.
    Thanks on advance.

Toni

Throwing raw gas down the exhaust will do that. It will melt them VERY quickly.

Post the tune and log here.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Here are the last tune I modified, and datalog of this tune.
    Injectors parameters may be are not correct, I can't find the correct parameters for this injectors. Chrysler Neon 0280 156 030.
    Engine has FAST LSXR 102 and TB, LT Headers. Big cam but No idea about cam spec. Engine is LPE6380 lingenfelter.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by toni; 03-30-2021 at 05:31 AM.

Tuner
    Turn COT back on

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Doug
    I already try turn COT back on and at idle cats still glowing red.
    My cammed C6 Z06 has COT off and cats do not glowing red.
    Still trying different tune configurations and all ended with glowing cats at idle
    Thanks

The unknown injector data makes me skeptical.

I might just be blabbing but the idle airflow seems kinda low the injector pulse width at idle is still pretty high. Is the ETC area scalar right for this size throttle body?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Compare your file with stock tune you will see where you went wrong.

Adjust your Injector Timing at idle rpm, start with 50rpm increments. You should see a difference pretty quick. This is something often overlooked, for example I adjusted this and by doing so AFR became 5% richer using the same amount of fuel, so this means I'm sending 5% less, unburnt fuel out of the exhaust. That's 5% less fuel your cats would have to burn. With your cam you may see more.
    Last edited by 10_SS; 03-31-2021 at 09:57 PM.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 10_SS View Post
    Adjust your Injector Timing at idle rpm, start with 50rpm increments. You should see a difference pretty quick. This is something often overlooked, for example I adjusted this and by doing so AFR became 5% richer using the same amount of fuel, so this means I'm sending 5% less, unburnt fuel out of the exhaust. That's 5% less fuel your cats would have to burn. With your cam you may see more.
    where can I find this Injector timing table ?
    Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by C5 2000 View Post
    Compare your file with stock tune you will see where you went wrong.
    A lot different my camed LS7 vs stock LS6
    Thanks

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The unknown injector data makes me skeptical.

I might just be blabbing but the idle airflow seems kinda low the injector pulse width at idle is still pretty high. Is the ETC area scalar right for this size throttle body?
    I have a 102mmTB My ETC Scalar is stock 0,0255, I don't know if it's a must to change this parameter.
    This injectors are the ones the car has when I bought it, I don't know if injector data are correct because I can't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by toni View Post
    I have a 102mmTB My ETC Scalar is stock 0,0255, I don't know if it's a must to change this parameter.
    This injectors are the ones the car has when I bought it, I don't know if injector data are correct because I can't find it.
    Fueling probably isnt right, best to fix that first. But, it should be on that same page, down farther. Injector Timing/Boundary. This can clean up a stinky fuel smelling idle, and make more power. There's a big post about Injection Timing on here somewhere, should be very easy to find.

If you have a wideband, adjusting this should show your % error changing quite noticeably.
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires

If it is not to late already you may want to tune it with the cats removed. Once you get close put them back on. It is pretty easy to melt the honeycomb.