Thread: TCC PWM and Apply/Release Question for Stall Converter Tuning

Potential Tuner

Question TCC PWM and Apply/Release Question for Stall Converter Tuning

Hey everyone,

I recently installed a 2600 rpm stall converter and the rpm at higher speeds are just crazy right now and I need help ensuring the torque converter clutch is locking up. Circle d told me that at highway speeds the converter will have the same rpm as the stock converter when the clutch locks up making it a 1:1 ratio. This was not the case that I saw even with PWM % going to 98% according to the scanner. I attached the scan and tune file to this.

I saw on other forums when tuning the new stall converter the TCC duty cycle tables should be tuned to 100max/60min. Is this only applied on the TCC duty cycle tables or do I have to do this for 3rd and 4th gear, if so I cant find those tables. Or do I tune the speed vs gear apply/release tables to set my speed for which I prefer the converter to lock up?

Also last question, does anyone know if pattern A or B is the tow haul mode? I would like to tune the tow haul mode to ensure the converter stays locked up most of the time to manage heat. It's got a big cooler on it so I think it will be okay but still.

Thanks for all the advise. I'm still new to this but am very eager to learn and appreciate any and all input!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyman97 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I recently installed a 2600 rpm stall converter and the rpm at higher speeds are just crazy right now and I need help ensuring the torque converter clutch is locking up. Circle d told me that at highway speeds the converter will have the same rpm as the stock converter when the clutch locks up making it a 1:1 ratio. This was not the case that I saw even with PWM % going to 98% according to the scanner. I attached the scan and tune file to this.

I saw on other forums when tuning the new stall converter the TCC duty cycle tables should be tuned to 100max/60min. Is this only applied on the TCC duty cycle tables or do I have to do this for 3rd and 4th gear, if so I cant find those tables. Or do I tune the speed vs gear apply/release tables to set my speed for which I prefer the converter to lock up?

Also last question, does anyone know if pattern A or B is the tow haul mode? I would like to tune the tow haul mode to ensure the converter stays locked up most of the time to manage heat. It's got a big cooler on it so I think it will be okay but still.

Thanks for all the advise. I'm still new to this but am very eager to learn and appreciate any and all input!
    New converter install and no tune changes, now your having these issues?

I cant open tune/log at work.

Potential Tuner
    Yes for the most part. Had a front seal leak on my trans so I got it rebuilt and at the same time got the new 2600 stall converter. When I installed everything I scanned the stock file and saved it for my records and then changed the tune to disable DOD and correct the gear and tired wizard to correct for the 4.56 gears and 33s I put on last July. I only did this change to the tune at the time of the trans install because that is when I bought hptuners. Other than that it was no changes to the tune. I can try putting the stock tune in the truck again when I get a chance and see if that does anything.