Thread: 6r80 Converter lock Up 2015 Mustang

Tuner in Training

6r80 Converter lock Up 2015 Mustang

Has anyone had luck just leaving the convertor unlocked all the way through on this car? I keep having issues with the car dropping rpms in 3rd and then the car no longer pulls up top and doesn't get above 6K in 4th. My tuner is telling me it's the convertor locking causing the car to bog. The car has a D1X Procharger and that's what it feels like is happening I just find.it hard to believe a convertor locking could bog a car making 1000HP. Am I way off in my assumption? I just recieved a file with the convertor unlocked in all gears. Is this the norm?

Advanced Tuner
    No not at all. Converter locked is nothing for a blown yote.

Make sure its not tq limiting on you. Sounds like it is.

Tuner in Training
    The more I think about this issue, I feel like it is going into overdrive. The RPMs drop and stay the same but the only odd part is on the log it clearly shows I am in 3 and 4th when this happens. I assume "overdrive" only works in 6th or is there a way in the tune to apply overdrive in 3rd and 4th? I am obviously no tuner but is overdrive just basically locking the convertor?

I had a problem similar to what you are mentioning when I tried to copy a Roush transmission settings to my stock file. There is a table messed up. Can you post your tune file and I'll compare it to mine?

Advanced Tuner
    overdrive means your in a gear ratio numerically lower than 1. I.E. the drive shaft is spinning faster than the engine. These days its just a figure of speech as nearly all vehicles made in the past 40 years have overdrive.

No. Over drive is for the gear ratio your in has nothing to do with the converter.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks

Tuner in Training
    PM sent

Tuner in Training
    The best way to explain what happening is if you were in third in a manual going 45 and shifted to 6th gear is what I'm dealing with. The log shows the correct gears but it sure feels like it's popping into 6th. Thinking possibly a bad PCM, is there any way the log would show the wrong gear?

Tuner
    Turn your gear selection on. Go for a drive and see exactly what gears youre in.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rryanfla View Post
    Turn your gear selection on. Go for a drive and see exactly what gears youre in.
    I'm absolutely in the right gear. I've done that and like I said the log shows the gear too. Thanks for the reply

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas514 View Post
    I'm absolutely in the right gear. I've done that and like I said the log shows the gear too. Thanks for the reply
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...vs-tranny-tune

Cross reference your tranny tune with this one. It was given to me by a great tuner. I have been running this on my 17 Gen2R..hope it helps

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Ryan

Advanced Tuner
    @ OP: You will get a much better assessment and opinions if you post datalogs with the appropriate channels and more info about your setup. Otherwise we can guess all day and still be wrong.

That said, a centrifugal blower requires high RPMs to provide the most power output. Locking the converter will naturally result in a loss of power due to the engine speed slowing down, which slows down the blower speed (yes similar to going to the next gear but usually less impactful at high rpms depending on the converter) . The power loss could be minimal or maximal depending on the power characteristics of your setup and tune.

My car moves out big time in 4th and even 5th gear regardless of the converter being locked or not and I'm no where near 1000hp. If you can't climb higher than 6000rpm in 4th gear I'd assume something is drastically wrong.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbolt22 View Post
    @ OP: You will get a much better assessment and opinions if you post datalogs with the appropriate channels and more info about your setup. Otherwise we can guess all day and still be wrong.

That said, a centrifugal blower requires high RPMs to provide the most power output. Locking the converter will naturally result in a loss of power due to the engine speed slowing down, which slows down the blower speed (yes similar to going to the next gear but usually less impactful at high rpms depending on the converter) . The power loss could be minimal or maximal depending on the power characteristics of your setup and tune.

My car moves out big time in 4th and even 5th gear regardless of the converter being locked or not and I'm no where near 1000hp. If you can't climb higher than 6000rpm in 4th gear I'd assume something is drastically wrong.
    Thanks for the response. My tuner unlocked my convertor all the way (according to him) and I took the car out Friday night to the track and it shifted just as is it should. That was definitely the issue but I still cannot wrap my head around how the convertor would cause the RPMs to drop that much. Very strange to me but the car is working as it should.