Thread: Whipple Flight Controls

Whipple Flight Controls

So I have been working on modifying the tune on my S550/Whipple setup, and I have a question perhaps someone has ran across before myself.

So, with the Whipple flight controls, you can change the power/gear, octane adjust (PCM's ability to add in timing based on OAR), amongst other things. This is also built into the VCM scanner. Now, it APPEARS this is built or incorporated into the BCM as best I can tell, as you can make these changes with the engine running, and you get the typical BCM/Interior light flash like when you do an As-Built write.....

So I have experimented with this a bit.

I am trying to develop a system that allows me to have more control over the power, essentially to help dial the car to an index class (11.0/12.0/ect). Much easier to dial the power down I would think, sort of like a throttle stop. So, I went into driver demand and simply reduced the requested torque. It worked. Until I power cycled the ignition (assuming the PCM then queried the BCM for vehicle config data), and then no matter what the driver demand/launch tables were set at, it ignores them in the tune.....

So, wherever the Whipple software/flight control is writing, overrides what's in the actual tune on the PCM, for certain parameters it seems? It has revv limit controls, knock system on/off, and you can even add timing in small increments, in addition to an overall Octane adjust (limits KR system ability to add in timing based on knock).

It MIGHT make sense as to why most custom tunes require a full reflash, as this system seems to point the PCM to the BCM for certain changes.

really appreciate any insight into this!
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Or hptuners isn’t modifying the calibration correctly.

contact support@hptuners

Interesting find. I had trouble in the past getting the values in the knock retard - max advance table to stick. No matter what I try, it will never advance more than 4 degrees, and I made a thread about it a while back. I keep thinking about ditching my modified Whipple tune and going back to a stock cal, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to start from scratch.

It certainly appears the Whipple tune is looking somewhere else for some parameters. Considering how much, and what you can change as far as parameters in the Flight Controls/Whipple software, there has to be some code/parameter set somewhere it is using.

And indeed, this is a huge problem once you really start modifying the Whipple tune in some areas it appears.....

I'm assuming most tunes like PBD/Lund all do away with the power/gear feature for this very reason, to revert the OS back to something more like normal as far as tuning goes.

Shame. Power/gear is a great feature.....as well as the octane adjust, and can all be done literally on the fly with the Whipple cal.