Thread: GM Performance e67 ecu

Potential Tuner

Post GM Performance e67 ecu

Hi Guys, have a vehicle in for a tune with a GM Performance ecu. I have carried out a 2 bar o/s upgrade and on start up it kicks back like the timing is out once its running its all good.
    It wont let me do a crank relearn either. Im thinking something funny going on after o/s upgrade . Im not sure if this ecu supports o/s upgrade properly.
    Put the original tune in and ignition problem gone.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    If they are o/s upgradable would anybody have a stock tune file for this ecu.
    GM Performance e67, gm gen4,19258272_ls3_REL6. operating system 12638778.
    Thank You........................

Advanced Tuner
    I have that OS in my E67 on my supercharged Gen IV LS. That OS allowed me to tune it very well and natively supports at least 2 bar induction setups, no scaling needed. So I never saw any advantage to doing the 2 bar OS "upgrade". What kind of an engine is your E67 controlling?

Advanced Tuner
    Only benefits to the 2 bar OS IMO are the lower temp fan control, BOOST PE table (if needed) and the standard looking VE table. There might be other benefits though.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Advanced Tuner
    2.5 Bar MAP - Speed Density (E38/E67 ECM)This enhancement contains the following features:

2.5 bar (255 kPa) max MAP sensor support (calibration capability for GM 0-5V linear MAP sensors)
    Rescaled High MAF table supports up to 15400 Hz with 300 Hz resolution, also supports airflow up to 1024 g/sec
    New VE tables with 33 x 33 cell resolution each and configurable MAP and RPM axes (choose your own resolution)
    Charge Temperature based VE multiplier table, configurable axis
    TPS based VE multiplier table, 33 x 17 cells with configurable TPS and RPM axes
    MAP referenced "Boost Enrich" table
    Boost Enrich MAP threshold and hysteresis value
    Both MAF and Speed Density mode supported
    Boost based fuel cut, selectable MAP threshold cuts fuel to all cylinders when exceeded
    Rescaled fan temperature axis 163-250F (73-121C), stock is 192-250F (89-121C)
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
    I have that OS in my E67 on my supercharged Gen IV LS. That OS allowed me to tune it very well and natively supports at least 2 bar induction setups, no scaling needed. So I never saw any advantage to doing the 2 bar OS "upgrade". What kind of an engine is your E67 controlling?
    It is controlling a ls3 with Magnuson supercharger, Bosch 1650 injectors on e85. Running Maffless

Based on the issues I have seen others have with these, I would suggest changing to a production E67 & whatever OS best matches the rest of the components. The GMPP version is limited in ways that aren't accounted for in the editor - you can input values that the intentionally crippled ECM cannot follow, but a regular E67 would have no problem with.

Tuner
    Sounds like the Way to go when boosted, Why would someone use the VVE table over this?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Based on the issues I have seen others have with these, I would suggest changing to a production E67 & whatever OS best matches the rest of the components. The GMPP version is limited in ways that aren't accounted for in the editor - you can input values that the intentionally crippled ECM cannot follow, but a regular E67 would have no problem with.
    Thank you, I,m thinking you hit the nail on the head there..........................

Advanced Tuner
    GMPP E67 w/ original 430 HP 12638778 OS works fine for me with ~8 PSI PD boost on gasoline. What are the "issues others have seen?" Only hardware I needed to add was a connection and MAP sensor for s/c inlet pressure so the ECU gets a good read on ambient atmospheric pressure and s/c pressure ratio. Even the reverse lockout works. I did tweak a BUNCH of settings and reduce the Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable/Re-enable to 1400/1300 to get low RPM boost PE working as I wanted. I guess YMMV... Attached my tune for reference:

Russ_LSA_V108.hpt
    Last edited by pannetron; 04-02-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Fixed idle speed. Discrete/relay fans only. I believe there is a limitation in the range of VSS settings it can read, even though you are able to enter values outside that in the editor, and there is no documentation for what works and what doesn't.

If you never need to change things where it is limited you will never know what it's not capable of. With a production E67 you at least know the limits shown in the editor are the actual limits of what the ECM can read. Trying to diagnose a problem when there is no way to find out if it's something you did wrong or something the hardware is doing wrong is an impossible situation.

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting. The idle speed tables work on my E67. My fans aren't PWM so I used the two discrete fan controls and a couple extra relays to make a low/high speed setup. I like MAF control since I drive at wildly varying altitude. Maybe I'm just fortunate that it's in a 1966 Chevelle so life is simpler. Good luck to the OP.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
    GMPP E67 w/ original 430 HP 12638778 OS works fine for me with ~8 PSI PD boost on gasoline. What are the "issues others have seen?" Only hardware I needed to add was a connection and MAP sensor for s/c inlet pressure so the ECU gets a good read on ambient atmospheric pressure and s/c pressure ratio. Even the reverse lockout works. I did tweak a BUNCH of settings and reduce the Dynamic Airflow High RPM Disable/Re-enable to 1400/1300 to get low RPM boost PE working as I wanted. I guess YMMV... Attached my tune for reference:

Russ_LSA_V108.hpt
    Thanks for the input, would you have a stock tune file for this GMPP 12638778. This is very strange the vehicle came to me after having a camshaft and larger injectors fitted from another workshop for tuning. The maff is not connected and the wiring altered for the temp sensor into the blower manifold. They tell me it was tuned this way but looking at the tune file I cant see how. I modified the tune as I thought fit and applied. The vehicle now kicks back on startup as though is having trouble syncing the timing it also wont allow me to do a crankshaft sensor learn.Iin the new tune when running the fuelling is good. When I reload the original tune it starts ok (no ignition problems) but very rich and adjusting injector scaling or vve doesn't help at all. I am thinking the ECU is playing up but want to try every option available first.
    Attached files....
    Stevo TUNE 3 os.hptStevo first read.hpt

Potential Tuner
    This is a ls3 with Magnuson supercharger running on E85

Advanced Tuner
    Here's the original OS and calibration from my 430 HP LS3 GMPP E67 ECU:

OriginalVCM.hpt