Thread: 6R80 / 6F55 - Torque Converter Lockup in 2nd gear?

6R80 / 6F55 - Torque Converter Lockup in 2nd gear?

Does anyone know if the 6R80 and/or 6F55 is physically capable of locking the torque converter clutch in 2nd gear? I figure there is a reason why the factory never programmed either gear in either transmission for TCC Lockup in 1st or 2nd gear. I know there was a physical limitation for 1st gear TCC Lockup with the 4Rxxxx transmissions.

Any ideas?

Tuner
    I believe the TCC locks in 2nd gear in sport/sport+. With that you should be able to tune the TCC for 2nd gear.

Thanks, I did see that in the F-150s with the 6R80 although they are set the same for Base as well as Sport. I looked at my 6F55 tune and it shows that 2nd gear can be locked, but I am not sure why every 6F55 factory tune I've looked at keeps 2nd gear open.

After some experimentation I can't seem to get the TCC to lock in 2nd gear. There's about 250 RPM of TCC slip in the latter half of 1st gear, all of 2nd gear (at WOT) and it gets down to single digit slip in 3rd gear at WOT. I'm not sure if the TCC is intended to be fully locked in 2nd gear. The TCC speed ratio is about 0.95-0.96 in 2nd gear though.

Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...vs-tranny-tune

Cross reference this tranny tune I posted. Its for a TVS 17.

Quote Originally Posted by rryanfla View Post
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...vs-tranny-tune

Cross reference this tranny tune I posted. Its for a TVS 17.
    Most of the pressure stuff was similar to stock 6F55 pressures. But the TCC doesn't quite fully lock in 2nd gear. Are you seeing near 0 RPM slip at WOT in 2nd gear for the TCC?

Tuner
    I dont have my tuning computer with me now. Off the top of my head I am getting very little slip(sport mode) in 2nd gear, Drive mode TCC doesnt lock u til 3rd gear and still very little slip from little to WOT.