Thread: Stalls when taken out of park

Potential Tuner

Stalls when taken out of park

Hi, new at this so bear with me as a new guy to the forum and tuning. I have been doing a swap into a 70 c10, engine started out as a 2004 6.0 lq4 complete engine with harness, pcm, and trans. Long story short, its a 394(4.005x3.900) stroker with a ls3 top end and comp lsr cam, i rebuilt the 4l80, long tubes, 3 inch with a X-pipe. After getting burned by both crank and cam sensors because i bought generic parts house sensors, i finally got it to fire every time i turn the key. The issue I have is that it stalls when taken out of park and doesn't start in neutral. I have read many post about the moderate cam and idle tuning, but this seems more like the ignition is switched off, like i don't even feel the trans engage like a bad converter or insufficient power to stay running. If you brake torque it, two foot it, it shuts down the same. I found mention of a setting in system>general>vehicle options that relates to this, but not sure what it would be. I feel like this is a either I wiring snafu I made, or a setting I need to change. I am putting up my current tune, it is pretty stock save for some idle, general, and fuel tweaks. Any help is much appreciated. then i can start actually dialing in the fuel on this thing. -Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Does it crank but not start in neutral?
    Or no crank at all in neutral?

Not sure if that means anything, but might give a direction to wire diagnosing.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    Idk what your issue is, but I'd put the stock calibration back in and go from there.

Potential Tuner
    No crank in neutral either, if I put it back in park it primes the fuel pump. Could be a bad TR sensor, but it shows correctly in logger. The PN safety switch should not effect it staying running, not starting makes sense. ill look into later today, we are hosting easter so it probably not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by vikingbikes View Post
    No crank in neutral either, if I put it back in park it primes the fuel pump. Could be a bad TR sensor, but it shows correctly in logger. The PN safety switch should not effect it staying running, not starting makes sense. ill look into later today, we are hosting easter so it probably not going to happen.
    Agreed it makes no sense
    Maybe monitor your power wires (heck grounds too i guess) to your ECM and see what drops off when you come out of Park for a starting point.

Happy Easter, enjoy your party
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Potential Tuner
    In case anyone else has this problem, i figured it out, or at least have a bypass. After looking through wiring diagrams for trans range sensor and trans controls, power distribution, and figuring that its dropping power to everything on ignition relay. i couldn't find anything helpful other than ignition relay is shutting off, tested with engine off and still loses power with key on engine off. I was working off info from lt1swap.com, really good info there, my ignition hot wire from the ignition switch is going to pin a9 for c1 in fuse box. from my testing the power is interrupted when taken out of park but i don't see it in the schematics for a the circuit being effected, so i ohmed out the fuse box finding another pin that powers the relay control circuit and spliced my original ignition feed wire to feed both pins a9 and f8. It now stays running when put in gear. Which is a huge relief when it applied both forward and reverse, my first 4l80 build and had knowledge that the trans didn't have reverse before i got it. Hopefully this helps someone else in future for there swap project if they hit this snag. Only one last hurdle is figuring out aem serial to usb to hpt, but at least there is plenty of threads here for that.