Thread: 05 f350 6.0 can someone review my tune?

Tuner in Training

05 f350 6.0 can someone review my tune?

ive been teaching myself to tune my 05 f350 6.0 5r110 truck, its a cclb 4x4 that weights about 9k loaded and regularly tows 5-10k, its got studs, 4" exhaust, frankenstein turbo of mostly stock parts, fass fuel system, stock injectors that are shot (they dont like oil temp below 200 degrees anymore) triple disc converter, and im sure other things i forgot...... anyway i was dreaming of a tune that was a mild tow tune for the first 50% a street tune for the next 30% and a safe extreme for the last 20% aswell as since i cant use towhaul to change anything but shift tables i am testing using it as a downshift button instead but havent spent much time on that part yet. im mainly just looking for something that runs good empty yet is safe to tow as long as i watch my gauges and keep from tickling the grill with my right foot, being that i have little experience in tuning i would like some input to see where i am at, a few weeks ago i had a friend in town and i used hp to put my pcm and tcm files back stock but skipped ficm files because i thought the only thing i changed there was pilot injection off and then loaded sct sotf file and ran it on extreme for a couple days but truck was shifting like crap so divorced the sct and went the next revision of my tune and all has been fine until last week i noticed a bit of coolant staining around my degas cap... im not to worried about this engine because its coming out of truck soon when i finish building the one in my shop but would like to get this tune finalized first because im leaning towards bigger sticks in the new engine and wont be able to fine tune this one later

2.5 is in truck, 3.0 is next to clean up some smoke from heavy throttle off idle
    Attached Files Attached Files

Banned
    2.5 file im guessing is tow?

1. fix your inferred map
    2. change max map to 500
    3. max desired on ebp bump up to 260.
    4. raise your ebp tables up a little more.
    5. fuel for max torque drop it down to 90
    6. fuel flow wot drop down to 100
    7. raise low end timing and drop high end.
    8. lower icp a little.
    9. icp to oil temp drop down to 28

start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post

1. fix your inferred map
    2. change max map to 500
    8. lower icp a little.

start there.

Learning myself with diesel so I have a question.

The inferred map. What needed to be fixed and why? Just asking as I’m used to GM so learning the Ford/diesel maps
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Banned
    the adjustment i would make on the turbo inferred map would start at 2000-3600rpm 43-73mg kick that up to about 36.25psi, 1600 -3600rpm do the same from 50-73mg.. and all of 62-72mg kick up to 36.25 all rpm.. gets the turbo to respond a lot better.. your tuning has the turbo coming in late for the amount of fuel your asking for.

Tuner in Training

1. fix your inferred map
    2. change max map to 500
    8. lower icp a little.

start there.
    2.5 and 3 is the same tune, just 3.0 is revised a little. the goal was to make the bottom half of the throttle safe for towing most anything with 50-80% throttle ramping up for a decent street/performance tune then the last 80-100% climbing even steeper for more of an extreme bit however as ive been playing with this ive kinda given that up and just keeping to the universal theme where i can tow 5-10k safely as long as i keep below about 75% throttle yet still having a bit extra on the top end for when im empty and the random guy next to me wants to race

as far as your list i started with my tune3 instead of tune2.5 because it wasnt much different

1. fix your inferred map
    -----i assume the inferred throttle, i did some tweaking cause it was a bit wonky but not sure if thats what you meant
    2. change max map to 500
    -----im not sure what you mean here, my closest guess was "map transfer function" and mine rolls up to 333 but 500 is a big jump and seems like that would be counter productive
    -----check
    -----did some tweaking for egr delete and smoothing out (not sure if good or bad) then upped map by 15%
    ----- please double check i did this right i assumed "max TQ fuel clip"
    -----check
    -----how much, this was my main consern is i dont understand how to judge diesel timing, on a gasoline i know to watch for spark knock and hard starts but with a diesel i have no clue what im watching or listening for nor do i know how to judge cylinder pressure for the sake of gaskets
    8. lower icp a little.
    -----i lowered icp back to stock levels for the most part which was my end goal anyway, just been doing it in baby steps (this file started as an sct performance tune with chunks of the sct 65hp tow tune spliced in then modified considerably from there)
    -----check

thank you for your help here aswell as my other thread, that project is still on the table, unfortunetly it keeps getting bumped back, had 2 friends with 7.3 trucks having problems and been spending all my major free time on theirs, the first one i got tired of fighting and just did a frame and driveline swap with one of my trucks a tree fell on because she was having weird injector problems and the trans temp problems came back and i was just done fighting it, the other one we thought was injector drip so he got some stage 1.5 injectors, crossovers, chip,etc only to have the knock still there, tore into it weekend before last and found chunks of cyl 3 piston skirt in the pickup tube.... when his truck is out of my shop and his engine off my stand ill get around to ordering the rest of the parts for my engine and go through my truck

Tuner in Training
    the adjustment i would make on the turbo inferred map would start at 2000-3600rpm 43-73mg kick that up to about 36.25psi, 1600 -3600rpm do the same from 50-73mg.. and all of 62-72mg kick up to 36.25 all rpm.. gets the turbo to respond a lot better.. your tuning has the turbo coming in late for the amount of fuel your asking for.
    missed this post, but i just did that, here is tune 4 with turbo inferred upped

Banned
    Is this a street tune?

Tuner in Training
    How are you able to switch between tunes for the SOTF feature? I want to add it to my truck but I am not sure how you change between them.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WFMCNALLY86 View Post
    How are you able to switch between tunes for the SOTF feature? I want to add it to my truck but I am not sure how you change between them.
    The sct livewire has the sotf stuff, i dont have that option with hptuner (they sell it but im not buying)

Is this a street tune?
    At this point basically a street tune that i can tow 5-10k aswell as have a strong top end for when im empty

I didn’t think the sct could do the SOTF with the 6.0?

I have a GTX and didn’t get that option lol
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Banned
    sct stopped doing the sotf

Ahh I see. I hope bill or Eric can look at why my ecm won?t read/write soon I have been itching to learn all this with the Diesel!