Thread: 2015 Silverado startup idle fluctuation help

Tuner in Training

2015 Silverado startup idle fluctuation help

Hey guys,
    I have a 2015 Silverado that has a Maggie TVS 1900, Gwatney Performance low lift (.540 lift 215/230 duration) cam and DOD delete kit, Texas Speed long tubes, and a Speed Engineering 3" true dual exhaust sytem on it. I had it professionally tuned back in December after the install, average temp around 40 degrees. After that it got colder and i started noticing an undulating idle (shoots up to 13-1400 then down to 500 or below, then back up, back down, then settles in)on start up. Now that it is getting warmer out it's getting worse and swinging up and down several times times before settling in. If you put it in gear it'll still do it and it can make it surge and push the truck if you aren't ready for it. I asked my tuner and their answer was that I changed the exhaust so I need to come back and spend more money for a retune. I rechecked everything while logging with my wideband after the change and everything was still good, fuel trims were around 2% like they were before, just needed to add a bit in PE on the top end where the old exhaust was restricting a bit. This problem is at idle and was there before the new system anyway. Everything else is great, drivability is fine when warmed up. Just a little embarrassing to start this loud ass truck and everyone thinks you are revving it. Cold start log and current tune attached, any ideas where to make adjustments? Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Little B; 04-04-2021 at 09:41 PM.
    New to tuning, but not to cars. Just here to learn!

Tuner in Training
    A new exhaust won't cause the idle to do that. I have the same EXACT issue on my cam only 2016 5.3l. It only does it when the tune is in Speed Density, even though fueling is spot on. I am almost positive this an idle torque issue. But I have tried lowering torque in the idle areas of the VT tables and lowering the idle torque external load table but nothing helped. I can switch over to Maf only and it idles perfect, and runs pretty good.. So that's what I've been running for the past year. I'm going to try to tackle it again soon but I won't spend too much time on it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB L83/6l80e
    TSP cam 218/226, .635"/.635", 113 LSA 10% FL
    TSP LT headers
    Circle D Billet converter

Tuner in Training
    SILV,
    The new exhaust didn't cause it, it was doing that before. It is just getting worse now that it's warmer outside. The tuner had left mine in MAF only so I am already there too. My guess on that is that when you start messing with the virtual VE table in the idle area it really affects the higher end power negatively. Just a guess though. Fuel trims are still good even with the warmer weather. Looking at some other threads I am now looking at the Cranking Airflow which appears to control the first 4 seconds which is exactly when I'm seeing this happen. Right now I am comparing a stock tune file with the current one as well as the base tune he sent me to get me to his shop. Should have some time tomorrow to load this adjustment in and see what happens...
    New to tuning, but not to cars. Just here to learn!