Thread: 2003 5.9 3500 auto

Potential Tuner

2003 5.9 3500 auto

Bare in mind that I have only played around with this stuff on GMs, and my only previous tune was for my LS swapped jeep.

Anyways, I have an 03 Ram 3500 that had the ECM connector melt down, damaging the connector and the ECM. The ECM had a decent tune on it, but it is now cooked. I have a junkyard ECM, and engine harness swapped, and I want to go back to a known good (stock) tune. I can worry about hopping it up later.

Do I need a specific stock tune from somewhere, or can I use the auto generated stock tune? I assume the VIN needs to be changed on the donor ECM. Just need a little direction.

Rob

Banned
    If you need a known good stock tune and plan on using HP Tuners for tuning, the VCM Editor gives you exactly that when you do a read of the ECM. There isn?t a single stock read file any person in the world can give you for your ECM for use on HP Tuners. The VCM Editor reads calibration information and your VIN number and generates a stock file for use and writing to your truck and your truck only. Of course you can copy modified parameters from someone else?s tune file to yours but you can?t use specifically someone else?s file on your truck.

Banned
    I know people don?t like reading sticky?s on forums but...

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...n-and-How-To-s

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the response. I did find that sticky.

The big issue I believe is that this donor ECU has a different VIN. Maybe this isn't an issue at all? I just let the truck believe that it is the new vin?

Its a non-runner right now. Is my best bet to get the dealer to flash back to stock, matching the original vin?

Advanced Tuner
    You'd be better off finding someone with a J2534 device to change the VIN to that of your vehicle before attempting to read with HP Tuners. Otherwise, you'll end up with a VIN mismatch, and be no further ahead than you currently are.

What year is the ECM from? And is it from a truck that had the same configuration as your truck? IE. Auto vs Manual, California vs non California emissions, HO vs SO, ets...

Potential Tuner
    The donor is a 2003 auto as well. I do not know for sure it is optioned EXACTLY the same, but it is very close.

Right now the truck will crank, with no start. At all. I am thinking that at the very least it should start, run for a second, and then shut off. There may be another layer of problem here in the form of a blown fuse or something. I'll be digging into it later on tonight.

Potential Tuner
    Ive had to switch ecms before and your truck wont run tell the vin matches the truck had to take mine to the dealer to have it changed