Thread: 2001 dodge dakota 5.2 swap ecm and tune HELP

Potential Tuner

Question 2001 dodge dakota 5.2 swap ecm and tune HELP

i have a 01 dodge dakota 2wd with a 2.5 nv1500 i want to swap in a 5.2 with a nv2500 or a 727 my issue im having the truck never came 5.2 only 2.5, 3.9, 5.9, 4.7 i need help finding out what tune can i use with out causing a ton of lights on and making my stuff like gauges and all that not work like i was gunna use a 99 ecm and a 99 dodge dakota 5.2 tune or a 01 dakota r/t 5.9 tune only issue is i want to try and stay 5 speed till i go to swap it over to 727 auto any help here would be great guys

I cant help with an actual tune but I have a bit of experience with swaps.
    From what I have found on the Dakota (my 08 has a Cummins) is that all of the ECM's will run the dash, my truck was a 4.7 and currently I have an older V6 ECM running the dash with sensors in the Cummins. You will need to flash the correct VIN# into the ECM if you want it to play nicely with other modules on the truck. You probably only have a FCM, ABS and air bag modules? The truck I'm working on at the moment has 27 modules to try and keep happy.
    I think you will be able to just use the 5.2 ECM since its there to run the engine. The signals it puts out to the dash are "probably" the same as the 2.5L.
    I'm not sure what happens with the tach, you may get lucky and it will just work.
    I'm new to HP Tuners but have been amazed at how easy it is to turn the lights off on the dash .
    When you get it figured out please come back and finish your thread so the next guy can learn from it. I think you would be looking for an NV3500? or AX15.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowedracer View Post
    i have a 01 dodge dakota 2wd with a 2.5 nv1500 i want to swap in a 5.2 with a nv2500 or a 727 my issue im having the truck never came 5.2 only 2.5, 3.9, 5.9, 4.7 i need help finding out what tune can i use with out causing a ton of lights on and making my stuff like gauges and all that not work like i was gunna use a 99 ecm and a 99 dodge dakota 5.2 tune or a 01 dakota r/t 5.9 tune only issue is i want to try and stay 5 speed till i go to swap it over to 727 auto any help here would be great guys
    You'll want a '01 5.9 Dakota (Dakota R/T) PCM, though I'm unsure if HP Tuners software can flash out the auto tranny controls or not (still learning/researching); if it can, that PCM will work for you - otherwise, you'll have to do a bit of research and cross-reference to a 5.9 Ram PCM that had a manual transmission. I'm currently in a similar boat - I have a '00 Dakota R/T, but along with a new motor, I'm doing a manual transmission swap, so I need to figure out if the HPT software can flash out my auto controls, or if I need to get a Ram PCM first.

Also, whatever PCM you track down, make sure it matches whether you have the SKIM security (Grey key) or not; otherwise, your truck won't start.

Potential Tuner
    thank you so much guys for all the info still looking into it and also looking at the vin change videos i keep seeing and thinking about maybe getting a a ram ecm and changoing it to a 5.9 dakota vin and then flashing in a 01 dakota tune i found on here