Thread: HP Tuners Injector Pulsewidth Throuth the Roof!?!?

HP Tuners Injector Pulsewidth Throuth the Roof!?!?

Hey all, I?m relatively new to tuning. I?ve searched all of google but can?t seem to find any one with a similar issue. Recently I developed an issue with my car that?s causing me to bog down past ~40% throttle at any rpm. I have a wideband set up while data logging. I logged my injector pulsewidth and it seems like every time the throttle goes past 40-50% it shoots the pulsewidth until it chokes the car completely at 26+ ms while my wideband reads in the 8s! I disabled the maf and ran speed density only and it seemed to prevent the issue from happening so severely though it still dropped down to high 10s. That prompted me to determine my maf is causing that issue for some reason so I replaced it, re-enabled the settings I changed to revert to speed density only, but the problem came back. My commanded AFR is somewhere in the low to mid 13s so I?m not sure why it?s going so low. The tune on the car isn?t the best (I bought it like that but it was perfectly driveable. I just started researching on how to fine tune it but I?m running into this issue). Im currently at work and don?t have my laptop but I will upload both a short log as well as my current tune.

Also, I?m having a separate issue with the histograms. It seems like no matter what I try I cannot get them to fill out data when logging. All of the preset histograms that come with it work but mine do not and I can?t figure out why. I?m logging everything I need to and have followed tuning videos on how to set them up properly to no avail. If anyone could help me out I?d greatly appreciate it as these issues are preventing me from tuning my car so I?m only driving it the couple miles I need to drive every day for work. Thanks in advance!

If the histograms are not populating you are not logging the correct data. Repoll for parameters and make sure the logged parameters match the parameters you need on the histograms.

As far as your rich condition, have you made changes to the intake system pre/post MAF? It sounds to me like potentially you put the maf in a smaller tube, or it's in a bend or something. If that is the case you need to either completely rescale the MAF (if it's in a smaller tube), or you need to redesign your intake system so the maf a straight tube before and after for as long as possible. Airflow distribution through a tube is not the same when making a turn. This causes reading issues and inconsistency when trying to scale the MAF.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Thanks for the reply. I am logging everything I need to according to how all the histogram tutorials show down to the exact sensors and settings which is why I’m stumped. Now for the rich condition he whole intake side is completely stock. The only mods are a btr stage 4 cam, .650 springs, headers, and a speed engineering true dual exhaust. I took a look at the maf scaling and the curve is decent. No real noticeable peaks or valleys. I’m just trying to figure out why it only happens with the maf connected and not disconnected. And it only happens past 40% or so throttle. The weirdest part is that if I keep it under 40% throttle it’ll rev all the way up. I tried looking at the injector and pulsewidth tables to see if there is any multiplier dependent on throttle position but I didn’t see any.

Post your tune and logs, that is the only way we can see what it happening.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

I apologize for the late reply, didnt have a chance to upload them yesterday. I have made a work around by just completely disabling the MAF and now it runs great! Im not sure if it was a problem with the MAF sensor itself or if its with the harness but it wasnt worth washing the cylinders every time I gave it a little throttle. The only problem im still having is with the histograms. I set one up to log for my AFR error but it only seems to move across the rpm range and not across the map pressure range. Also if anyone knows how to tune idle with speed density only and could help me out id appreciate it. Im only having a near stall issue at low speeds where itll drop down to 400 or so rpm for a few seconds and then over shoot my idle and drop back down to the correct idle. The first two are tune and log file showing my issue with the maf where it more than 40% throttle it shoots my pulsewidths through the atmosphere. The third is my current speed density only tune i need a little assistance with my stalling issue. Thanks in advance everyone! Ilog 1.hpl log 1.hpl 01' Trans Am WS6 SD Only 3.hpt

Update for anyone having this problem in the future:

Still can’t figure out why I’m having that issue. I’ve completely disabled the MAF and am running full speed density. I have a wideband hooked up and I’ve ordered the serial to USB adapter so I can log my afr as well. Currently I’m tuning the VE through LTFT which I know I’m not suppose to but it’s gotten me within +-3 and the car runs strong. It runs a lot richer than I’d like at full throttle reading about 11. I suspect I’m going to have to log the afr and manually adjust it from there to get it up to around 12.5 or so. I really wish I knew why I’m getting that maf issue but nonetheless the car runs great right now aside from running richer than intended at wot. But an afr of 11 is substantial progress from the 8.0-8.5 I was getting before. Hopefully eventually I’ll learn enough to figure it out myself or hopefully someone with more extensive knowledge on the area can chime in so I will have to keep checking back.

Setup your scanner so that you can read the AFR error with your wideband when you get that adapater. Disable the fuel trims and use that error graph to make changes to the VE table. That is the most simple and easy way to do it.

If the fueling is still rich at wide open throttle that means you likely still have too much fuel in the VE. That last file you pulled has values well over 100 in it, that is going to be too high and causing the rich fueling. Also disable COT because you don't want that changing your commanded AFR at WOT.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Finally got around to messing with the tune a little. Work has been pretty crazy lately and have not had any time. I started over from scratch using a stock 01 trans am ws6 6 speed tune from the repository, made my idle changes, copy and pasted my VE numbers from my speed density only tune, and now its running considerably better. At full throttle it dips into the high 11s to low 12s compared to the 9s i was seeing before. Im not entirely sure what caused it but I narrowed it down to the tune that was on the car when I got it. If anyone in the future reads this and is having similar issues, its definitely worth trying to revert back to a stock tune and work from there.

On another note, I set my idle at 900 rpm but for whatever reason its staying somewhere around 950-975. Also, my car has a BTR stage 4 cam and it does not seem to want to chop consistently at all like other cars ive seen with the same cam. My exhaust note does sound a bit weird to me, it could be normal, but definitely sounds muffled. Ill post up my current tune and see if I can get a short idle video uploaded somehow, hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Tune From Scratch v3.hpt
    Last edited by WS6_LOU; 04-07-2021 at 06:32 PM.