Thread: Apple M1 native support

Potential Tuner

Apple M1 native support

Hello, now that race season is starting up again and Im getting stuff ready, I was wondering when the MacOS version of RR would natively support the M1 processor. It seems to work fine under Rosetta but rendering takes long enough without going through an emulator

thanks!
    stephen

Potential Tuner
    I would like to second this request, please

Potential Tuner
    Unfortunately there is still no word about M1 support. Email to support were not yet answered.
    Taking advantage of the Apple silicon will most likely be a huge step.
    I could compare DaVinci rendering on Intel vs. M1 and that shows great improvements.
    Please HP Tuners, bring out native support of M Series chips.

Potential Tuner
    I'd like to bump this again. It seems RR3 performs pretty bad on Apple silicon, which makes sense since it has to go through Rosetta. Please make an Apple silicon native application. I'd even pay more for it, and I say this as somoeone who already paid for the ultimate version.

Not to worry, it is definitely on the radar. I am expecting to release a RaceRender update in the near future, to both tie in with some other projects that we have here, and if practical will include native M1 support in the Mac version (assuming there are no big surprises / hurdles getting in the way)... That will be a version 3.x update, and as such will be a free update to all who have purchased RaceRender v3.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Not to worry, it is definitely on the radar. I am expecting to release a RaceRender update in the near future, to both tie in with some other projects that we have here, and if practical will include native M1 support in the Mac version (assuming there are no big surprises / hurdles getting in the way)... That will be a version 3.x update, and as such will be a free update to all who have purchased RaceRender v3.
    Hello. Can we get an update please? I have had to move to an M1 MacBook Pro as my old MacBook was damaged, I have taken a big hit in performance because Racerender doesn’t support M1 native yet. Can we get a timeframe please?

Potential Tuner
    Hello - Weston@HPTuners can we get an update please?

Tuner in Training
    Any update on a native M1 built binary? Am not seeing anything in the changelog https://racerender.com/RR3/ChangeLog.txt

Potential Tuner
    Is there a way to run RR3 on linux as well? That would be appreciated.

Potential Tuner
    Also interested in this....any update?

Potential Tuner
    Just piling on the bandwagon here, would love native Apple Silicon support!

Potential Tuner
    Almost one year after the last post of an official I like to ask, if there are some news to the matter. I love the app as it does everything I need!
    But I would also love to have it run even faster on my Mac. Please bring out native M-series CPU support.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Session View Post
    Almost one year after the last post of an official I like to ask, if there are some news to the matter. I love the app as it does everything I need!
    But I would also love to have it run even faster on my Mac. Please bring out native M-series CPU support.

I just bought a brand new M1 Pro MacBook Pro and was excited to see how well RR3 ran on it, only to be disappointed by the lack of Apple Silicon native build.

Rather than just complaining, I'll offer help. I am a software developer. Is it just a matter of not having access to an M1 Mac to build the software?
    I am willing to help, and, of course, will sign NDA's, etc due to having access to source code, etc.

Let me know.

Best regards,
    jay

Potential Tuner
    FWIW, my M1 Max MBP is handling RR3 just fine in v3.7.3. The video rendering is definitely noticeably quicker than my last i7 machine.

Potential Tuner
    Any update on this? It?s been a while

Potential Tuner

RR3 works very well under Rosetta

Quote Originally Posted by sergeydgr8 View Post
    FWIW, my M1 Max MBP is handling RR3 just fine in v3.7.3. The video rendering is definitely noticeably quicker than my last i7 machine.
    My 10-core M1 Pro MBP is rendering video (under Rosetta emulation) about 35% faster than my 6-core 3.2 GHz i7 2018 Mac Mini. So, yeah, it is definitely very acceptable.
    The Geekbench multi-core score is about 2X faster for the M1 Pro vs. the 6-core i7, so, a native version of RR would offer another 50% improvement, but, damn, this is pretty good.

The astounding thing is that the fans never even kicked on on the M1 Pro, where the i7 Mac Mini's fans were screaming.

It is also about 4.5X faster than my old 2014 3.0ghz i7 MBP that the M1 Pro replaced.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jas67 View Post
    The Geekbench multi-core score is about 2X faster for the M1 Pro vs. the 6-core i7, so, a native version of RR would offer another 50% improvement, but, damn, this is pretty good.
    If only the people maintaining RaceRender didn't disappear off the face of the planet... So much for hoping v3.8 would be released:

Tuner in Training
    See this thread: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Updates-Coming

It sounds like you're not hearing from Weston because he may be gone.