Thread: 4L60 TO 4L80 SWAP 09 SILVERADO need help

Potential Tuner

4L60 TO 4L80 SWAP 09 SILVERADO need help

Hello,

I have an 09 Silverado it's a 2wd 4.8 with a 4L60. The 4l60 went bad and I want to turn it into a wild prerunner one step at a time so I thought it was a great time to do a 4l80 swap. The swap is done I've done everything on this forum to the letter.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/power...on-gmt900.html

I have a 04 4l80 that I rebuilt all new bands, high energy frictions, new steels, seals, bushings, filters, new pump assembly, the direct drum was ring cut, so put in a new direct drum, Transgo HD2 shift kit. It's got a Jegs 3000 stall billet torque converted Part Number: 555-60414. New driveshaft yoke, a 4l80 shifter linkage, modified the cross-member, new AN trans-lines (I used 4l80 specific connectors so that there is no rear oiling issue), auxiliary trans cooler, new dipstick, the swap is done it's in the truck and all the wiring and pin removal and swaps adding the speed sensor was all done according to the above link. I got a new tcm with the van info on it.

Heres my problem I got HP tuners and as soon as I downloaded the tune the truck it popped up with a check engine light and the dash read "SERVICE STABILITRAK" and "SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL" now the thing is it didn't have the check engine before I downloaded the tune from the truck, I hooked up a little Bluetooth code reader and the code is U0100 which I looked up is an unknown issue. It seems to have the error if I use the original TCM or the new one. I used 2 credits on the truck but when i try to load the unedited ecm tune back to the truck it asks for more credits I emailed tech support a whole bunch of times after some unhelpful generic answered I finally got:

"Hi Campbell,
    The Infolog you've provided shows no ECM or TCM. BUt I do see the license for the vehicle. So maybe something is not hooked up as they should be showing up in the Infolog. This could also be your issue with the relicensing. I would make sure everything is connected and powered up correctly Pull a new Infolog and it you see an ECM/ TCM try to write the file. If you still get an Unlicnesed vehicle then send me the file you're trying to write."

The other issue is there does not seem to be the little gear indicator square around any of the drive modes "PRND123" the truck doesn't seem to know what gear it's in. The 4L60 I took out did not have a neutral safety switch nor even the plug on the harness for a neutral safety switch, it seemed to work just fine and I don't even have a place to plug one in. I'm not the first owner of this truck but it ran and drove a bunch of miles before the 4l60 gave out.

I figured I would put this out there now the battery is dead because it's been sitting there for a couple of months at this point I put a charger on it, I'm going to try to start it again this weekend we'll see what happens (it's at my girlfriend's parents house because they have a lift). I tried to crank it and the headlights dimmed no crank so I don't know if it's just a weak battery or something preventing it from cranking because of the code, I'll find out this weekend and update this thread. I'm stumped if you can figure this out you're a lot smarter than me. If you need any details just ask.

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune up.

Did you use the 4L80E TCM OS from that post on ls1tech? If so, it likely won't work. 09 was a changeover year for GM with ECM and TCM comms (and also 60Es changed), you need to use the 09 Express Van TCM OS so everything plays nicely with your 09 ECM OS.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the info ScarabEpic22!!!

Here is my tune file
    09 4.8 silverado BB.hpt

So I need to order a new TCM or is this something I can do with HP tuners? And if I do need to order what VIN should I give them?

These are the wiring mods I did, do these still apply or do I need to change something?
    Removed K(orange), V(light blue), S(white), T(tan/black) and U(brown) wires from transmission connecter. Moved U(brown) wire to the S location.
    Front Input Speed Sensor (ISS) made by using the orange and light blue wires. Added a VSS connector, connect orange to terminal A and light blue to terminal B. Moved the low signal wire from pin 45 to location 26 in the TCM harness.
    Installed the front Input Speed Sensor wiring connection
    you're supposed to install the shift selector switch on the driver side you removed from the 60 but never had one so didn't do that
    factory speed sensor pluged back into the 80e tailshaft sensor

You can write-entire a T42, they don't have hidden segments like the Gen4 ECMs do.

If you do some clever ebay-fu you can find T42s for as little as $10 each, shipped. 24223112, 24226863, 24230461, 24234503, 24235340, 24235776, 24239224, 24239427, 24242391, 24243901, 24251062, 24252114 are all interchangeable.

Advanced Tuner
    I missed the MPLS/PNP switch is missing, that's likely required with the 80E swap. The 09+ 60Es went to an internal switch, so when swapping to an 80E, you need to use/source one for the 80E. Speculating that the 4L80E was almost done with production, so it wasn't worthwhile for GM to make any changes to it. Without it, the cluster won't display the gear properly.

Check your cigarette/12V lighter fuse, usually GM has the OBDII on the same circuit. Make sure you're in ON, not just Accy as well.

When you first read the truck, expect to have the dash light up and throw weird messages. After the read or write completes, the DTCs should be cleared and it's not a problem.

Is this file "09 4.8 silverado BB" the first read you did? And did you make sure to license this file? If you licensed it and are still being prompted, open the file and remove the FSCM module from it.

We should be able to solve this with segment swapping the right pieces into your file. I created 2 base files from the one you posted, 1 has all 3 Express Van segments (Transmission, Transmission Diagnostics, and System) copied and the other has just Transmission and Transmission Diagnostics. You'll need to adjust shift points, converter lockup, tire sizes, gearing, so forth from here. As blindsquirrel mentioned, you'll need to do a Write Entire with the TCM (no need to flash the ECM).
    Last edited by ScarabEpic22; 04-09-2021 at 07:54 PM.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS - manual, CGM, 6M, sunroof, mods in process
    2008 TrailBlazer 3SS AWD LS2, loaded, dropped, modded, SE22 Performance tuned. And then some...
    2002 TrailBlazer LT 4WD 4.2L I6, lifted, tires, exhaust, SE22 Performance tuned

Potential Tuner
    Ya'll rock!

I ordered a MPLS/PNP switch and a pigtail should be in tomorrow, I'm trying to figure out how to splice the MPLS/PNP switch into the harness right now. I'll post up what I did to help anyone who comes across this in the future once I figure that out.

Hopefully I can get my license issue worked out in the next couple days and get those tune files loaded up, you the man ScarabEpic22! thank you!

I'll keep ya'll updated on what happens!