Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFR Error Math???

AFR Error Math???

Hey guys, need a little help setting this up......

Not sure what the hell is going on with the math but I cant get my LM-2 to give me a proper percentage that makes sense

Using this math function given I am getting ridiculous percentages (as seen behind) for AFR error, this is definitely not right as the commanded AFR was around 11.3 and the AFR read by the Innovate LM-2 was 12-13.....as verified by my nose because it smelled hella rich!

Annotation 2021-04-09 234017.png

Senior Tuner
    your math is not right keep it the same as the default one without the extra u put in there

I tried that and get stupid numbers too........

Losing the will to live with this one, so my AFR math should be correct according to this current one but if you look at the logged AFR at around 12:1 and commanded then look at the % error in the graph something is definitely up as I'm not 40% rich if I'm running at 12:1 AFR

Capture.PNG
    Capture1.PNG

C'mon surely someone has to have an idea?

Here's a better example

1011 RPM

Commanded AFR = 12.46
    WB AFR = 13.20

That gives an error ratio of 5.9% lean vs commanded at idle

Now why is it showing 45.25% ?

My user math is as follows

(([LM-2 Transform] - [Commanded AFR]) / [Commanded AFR]) * 100 = AFR Error %

No doubt I'm missing a simple trick here but I have no idea what, this is a steep learning curve for me so any help would be appreciated as I've probably just over looked something. But as you can see from the graph read out the AFR transform from LM-2 is showing correctly and the same in the recorded PID so I have no idea why I cant get the correct percentage

I have also tried it using the generic sensor rather than the transformed readout and it comes back with the same stupid numbers

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG
    Last edited by South Lakes Speed Shop; 04-10-2021 at 04:46 PM.

I never ran into this issue because I didn't have to create a custom wideband graph for my AEM wideband. I just click the premade one that is already in there and it worked perfect.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I never ran into this issue because I didn't have to create a custom wideband graph for my AEM wideband. I just click the premade one that is already in there and it worked perfect.
    It is getting to the point where I'm just going to buy an AEM and in fact I may well do........

The LM-2 looked good which was why I went with it but in hindsight I probably should have gone AEM, it is loaded in via serial direct to laptop and scanner so there should be no issue with the signal (and isn't going off the readout on gauge vs recorded AFR)

Just makes it impossible to tune accurately without it working

Is it reading correctly in your channels?
    Just the graph is messed up?

Can you post the actual log?
    Last edited by dhoagland; 04-10-2021 at 05:53 PM.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Is there nothing there in the MATHS - predefined that work?

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    Is it reading correctly in your channels?
    Just the graph is messed up?

Can you post the actual log?
    Yes, just the graph seems to be messed up.

Someone on one of the facebook groups suggested it may be trying to output in EQ still even though its a transformed function (thus giving the wacky numbers)

Log attached

Reduced spark C5 900rpm idle.hpl

Is there nothing there in the MATHS - predefined that work?
    Unfortunately not, I tried all the user math before starting to make my own

I think I might be on to something

Can you send your tune file so I can have the correct table values?
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    I think I might be on to something

Can you send your tune file so I can have the correct table values?
    Sure, I'll attach it here

For reference engine is on stock injectors, but is a 383 with ported heads, Holley fabricated sniper intake and an MS3 cam

C5 - It runs! Reduced spark.hpt

Try this graph
    I'm showing you about 6% lean.

NOTE
    This is for your secondary VE table. As I understand that is referenced when you have the MAF failed.
    You can get the trend and paste into your primary VE if you decide to re-enable your MAF

This is only taking the info from the "Transformed" wideband
    It assumes that is correct

Side remark here, get bigger injectors before you get too deep. You will be out of fuel in no time with those small things.

Side remark here, get bigger injectors before you get too deep. You will be out of fuel in no time with those small things.
    Thanks, I will modify the secondary although given the AFR readout that still doesn't make sense that it is showing the primary as 40% rich

I was also under the impression that primary was tuneable whilst MAF is failed

As to injectors I am aware they will be at their limit but if need be I will put an RPM limit on the engine to stop it going past where they can fuel and upgrade in the future. The 4l60e is the weak link at this point so don't want to be revving to the moon, 6000rpm redline with 5000rpm shift point should keep both in a safe limit

I did bump up the secondary VE by 15% earlier today but haven't flashed it on yet, if it is showing at 7% lean then that should theoretically fix that graph and make it rich when I retry.

My main concern is still the primary though

The primary VE is not used in speed density on this OS, only the secondary VE table. That's why there is two table.

The primary VE table is only used when NOT in speed density along with the MAF.

This is an early OS you are using. Computers after the year 2000 removed the secondary table and only have one VE table that is used all the time.

Here is your Primary Graph layout
    It shows the same readings just missing some cells

I could be wrong on the Primary vs Secondary
    That might be another question to post in the Gen 3 Section

Anyway
    You now have 2 graphs for each of your VE tables. I'm sure there is no harm adjusting both

The primary VE is not used in speed density on this OS, only the secondary VE table. That's why there is two table.

The primary VE table is only used when NOT in speed density along with the MAF.

This is an early OS you are using. Computers after the year 2000 removed the secondary table and only have one VE table that is used all the time.
    Thanks for the Clarification!!

Delete the LM2 Eq from your Channels. As your AFR is being averaged between the LM2 AFR & the LM2 Eq.

Then just use the default AFR Error in your Graphs.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    Delete the LM2 Eq from your Channels. As your AFR is being averaged between the LM2 AFR & the LM2 Eq.

Then just use the default AFR Error in your Graphs.

Russ Kemp
    Good to know