Thread: best place to buy HP Tuners software etc

Potential Tuner

Lightbulb best place to buy HP Tuners software etc

looking for where to buy HP tuners software, set up for lap top. Cost effective.
    thanks
    Cool Hand Luke

Buy it straight from HP Tuners on the website. I'm sure you can find it on Summit racing too but I bet you only save like $5-10 if that.

Buy your laptop from like Bestbuy or something. Anything newer than runs Windows 10 will be just fine. I use a $250 laptop for years now, works just fine.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    I bought a used Dell E7270 off ebay for $350. Its prefect for using it in the vehicle as its not too large to be in the car with you as you use it. I had tried a 15" laptop prior and it was way too big while sitting in my lap while I was in the Camaro. It sits in the passenger seat fine as well, when I'm datalogging. This laptop also has an intel i7 CPU, 16Gb RAM and a 256Gb SSD. Pretty powerful little laptop for the money.

The only regrets when I first started is I didn't think I would ever do external sensors and stuff... Get the whole thing first go! MPVI2 w/ Proset & Prolink cable and you won't kick yourself later.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Coyote View Post
    The only regrets when I first started is I didn't think I would ever do external sensors and stuff... Get the whole thing first go! MPVI2 w/ Proset & Prolink cable and you won't kick yourself later.
    thats the info i am looking for Ranger Coyote... I want the most tuning i can afford. thanks for the tips.
    Cool Hand Luke

Potential Tuner
    a few more questions:

1. how many "extra credits" do i actually need?

2. one is showing blue tooth, is it best to use a connection cable or does the blue tooth work good?

3. do i need the "suite" or something different. Trying to learn all this terminology but its tough since i have not actually viewed the software yet lol
    Cool Hand Luke

Advanced Tuner
    I've used blue tooth for datalogging, but I dare not use it for read/write operations to the ECM. Not only that, it doesnt seem to like going from blue tooth to hard wire without closing out the program and manually turning off blue tooth before reconnecting with USB. I dont want to risk a dropped connection during a read/write to the ECM so I just use it with the USB at all times. Not worth the risk of bricking my ECM

Potential Tuner
    we use a program at work (industrial instrumentation called pro link whole different pro link) however if we lose connection during the upload or down load of data we render the "core" useless, so I can certainly relate.

I dont want to do anything to upset programming lol
    Cool Hand Luke

Look up your vehicle that you are going to tune on the HP Tuners supported vehicles list on the website. That will tell you exactly how many credits you require to tune it.

The VCM suite is your only choice, that is what we all use. The software can be downloaded straight from the website.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

The Pro link i was talking about is what you need to log external sensors. It's awesome check out this pic i made earlier working on a transform formula:

aemworks.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Credit depend on vehicle. Usually 2 but some vehicles require more. Some require an additional credit for the fuel pump control module (FPCM) on top of the credits required just for the one vehicle. Hp Tuners website has a vehicle tab that lists all supported vehicles and the credits needs to license. I dont think they specify the FPCM because thats optional