Thread: Log-Data Time Format

Potential Tuner

Question Log-Data Time Format

Hi everyone,
    I am new with RaceRender, doing my first steps.
    As it turns out to me that the syncing of Data to Video is the hardest part, I tried two different modes to log the data.

I tried with "time (sec)", which is simply seconds since start of logging
    Data= 0.000 0.250 0.500 1.000 1.250......
    this is a bit hard to sync to the video (works but a log effort)

I can also configure logging date as actual time/date
    date= 04.11.2021 10:25:56.9200 AM (and so on...)
    Now my idea was that it would be a lot easier to sync, as I have also a GPS-time based time in the videos.

Anyhow, I cannot make RaceReder understand this format.

Is there any way?

Thanks

Stefan
    Last edited by Birdie.; 04-11-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie. View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am new with RaceRender, doing my first steps.
    As it turns out to me that the syncing of Data to Video is the hardest part, I tried two different modes to log the data.

I tried with "time (sec)", which is simply seconds since start of logging
    Data= 0.000 0.250 0.500 1.000 1.250......
    this is a bit hard to sync to the video (works but a log effort)

I can also configure logging date as actual time/date
    date= 04.11.2021 10:25:56.9200 AM (and so on...)
    Now my idea was that it would be a lot easier to sync, as I have also a GPS-time based time in the videos.

Anyhow, I cannot make RaceReder understand this format.

Is there any way?

Thanks

Stefan
    RaceRender seems to work best with numeric data. Most of the apps that record data seem to output in epoch seconds with 3 fractional digits for milliseconds (e.g. 1618182789.785 = Sunday, April 11, 2021 7:13:09.785 PM GMT-04:00 DST).

There is a "Date and Time" display object which will take that large number and converts it to a something more like what you posted, but it doesn't seem to handle the end of months particularly well, so I recommend grabbing the Display Object from the bottom of this post instead if you want to display something to line things up.

Personally, I try to find something that easily shows in my data that can be matched well to my video: the first time my car starts moving. That lets me get things synchronized to within a second of each other since I can match the first time the Speed goes above 0 in the data to the first frame of movement in the video. I can then fine-tune that even further by matching the gauges that I can see in frame to the gauges that I'm displaying on screen.

Extracting the GPS time and then using that as a comparison might be more exact if you trust your phone and GPS to display the exact same time, but your mileage my vary. I just checked on the GPS time that RaceRender can extract from one of my recent videos, and it was off by 0.548 seconds based on what I lined up my data with (by exactly matching the displayed gauges to the video).