Thread: Questions on MPVI2 Enhanced Scanning - what parameters can be scanned?

Tuner in Training

Questions on MPVI2 Enhanced Scanning - what parameters can be scanned?

Background
    I bought the MPVI2 exclusively to support remote telemetry via TrackAddict. I will not be doing any engine tuning. I've had it about a year and I've never even installed any of the desktop software (VCM Suite, etc.) until just now so that I could update the firmware.

I know that I could also use it for engine tuning, but I already had a shop use HPTuners and a dyno to tune the engine, and I'm very happy with it. I don't have any other cars that I'll be tuning.

After I bought the MPVI2, I discovered that I'm not getting any more data through TrackAddict than I get from a cheap OBD2 bluetooth module.....so I was excited to see that the Enhanced Scanning option was coming and is now here.

I went to try it out this weekend, and I found that I need to get the pro option ($250) to use the enhanced data. This is a lot of money just to enable better telemetry, especially considering that my initial $299 purchase did not give me any more telemetry than a cheap OBD2 module.

Question
    Is there a way to find out what extra parameters will be available to me on my specific car before I spend the money? I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber R/T.

I'm specifically interested in knock data, data from the secondary coolant temp sensor, oil pressure switch state and anything else that is interesting.
    Last edited by John Galt; 04-12-2021 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typos

The PRO feature thing isn't going to let you see more data in the scanner, the standard MPVI that you have now is going to work the same way with the scanner for seeing vehicle data.

Did you search for those specific channels in the scanner to see if you can log them??
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The PRO feature thing isn't going to let you see more data in the scanner...
    I thought that the new MPVI2 Enhanced scanning feature was supposed to enable additional data in TrackAddict, and that I need to buy the PRO feature to see that data. It seems to say exactly that in the announcement thread: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...p-Instructions

As it is right now, I've done the firmware update and connected the MPVI2 to TrackAddict....I searched through all the data....there is no additional data available.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any way to get the additional data besides buying the PRO option?
    2. Is there any way to see what additional data I will get before I pay for PRO?

I missed the trackaddict part I guess.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

There are two levels of enhanced data available in TrackAddict for Android when using an MPVI2:

1) In Legacy mode, there can be a handful of additional parameters for GM vehicles that are available for selection. This is a small bonus that was thrown in for all MPVI2 users, but comes mostly from older work that was done prior to TrackAddict's acquisition by HP Tuners, and it's provided as-is.

2) Enhanced modes are available when using an MPVI2 with the Standalone Data Logging firmware update, and requires Pro Feature Set and at least one vehicle licensed (we're looking into other ways to offer this for data-only users, but that's how it's set up for now). There will not be any in-app parameter selection in these modes, as that would be rather exhaustive within a mobile app (sometimes 200+ parameters to choose from). Instead, there are two easy presets (Motorsports and Tuning) and a Custom option that uses the same custom channel configuration you had configured for Standalone Data Logging using VCM Scanner.

Prior to having Pro Feature Set, you can get a pretty good idea of which parameters would be available for that Custom mode by connecting VCM Scanner and going to add more parameters to its channels list... Most everything that's listed there should work for TrackAddict's Custom mode and for Standalone Data Logging, with certain exceptions (presently no support for old ISO9141/14230 "K-Line" vehicles, Dodge SCI modes, etc). If it's a modern CAN-based vehicle, then you should be in pretty good shape, and we also have a firmware update to address most oddball issues that have been reported so far. I expect we'll push that to all users in the near future, but we can also get early access to affected individual users where appropriate.

At the present time, the Enhanced mode data channels are recorded in TrackAddict's data logs but are not present in its Live Telemetry Streaming. I expect to rework that in the future so that it can be included...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    Prior to having Pro Feature Set, you can get a pretty good idea of which parameters would be available for that Custom mode by connecting VCM Scanner and going to add more parameters to its channels list...
    I've never used VCM Scanner, is there a video or something that can walk me through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Weston@HPTuners View Post
    At the present time, the Enhanced mode data channels are recorded in TrackAddict's data logs but are not present in its Live Telemetry Streaming. I expect to rework that in the future so that it can be included...
    Ahhh, okay, this is important. My use case is to monitor my race car from the pit while it is out on the track. Data logs are not as interesting (for me).