Thread: Auto to manual swap

Auto to manual swap

Trying to help a friend with a Gen 3 swap into an old Jeep. The donor engine is out of an automatic transmission vehicle, and he is running the original Jeep manual transmission. So my question: Can I simply flash the ECU with a manual transmission tune file from the repository, or does this require a Tech2? I am just trying to find the easiest way to do this.

Thanks

Tuner in Training
    You could do a pass-through re-flash with a Tech 2 if you have TIS2000 and the cables. You could also do it through GM SPS/Techline Connect if you buy the $40 per VIN subscription. I did the EXACT same swap in my Jeep, so I've been here! I got a random VIN off CarGurus for a 2002 Silverado 4.8 with a manual trans, reflashed the PCM with that, then licensed it in HPT for further tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra30689 View Post
    You could do a pass-through re-flash with a Tech 2 if you have TIS2000 and the cables. You could also do it through GM SPS/Techline Connect if you buy the $40 per VIN subscription. I did the EXACT same swap in my Jeep, so I've been here! I got a random VIN off CarGurus for a 2002 Silverado 4.8 with a manual trans, reflashed the PCM with that, then licensed it in HPT for further tweaking.
    I was wondering if Segment Swap was an option, obviously you would need the same OS..
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Ok, thanks. I do not have a Tech2, and was not sure if HP Tuners could do it. I have seen guys simply turn off all TCM related DTCs, deactivate abuse mode, and call it good. Sounds like that might be the easier option if it works just as well.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    I was wondering if Segment Swap was an option, obviously you would need the same OS..
    To be honest I am not sure. The same OS restriction is of course true, but I kinda pulled a fast one with my setup. The PCM (and engine) was from a 2001 with an auto trans. I flashed in a 2002, 12212156 manual OS for 2 additional reasons.....one, e-fans. Two.....as with my Camaro, in 2002 GM deleted EGR. It saved me a lot of tweaking in HPT afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by cobra30689 View Post
    To be honest I am not sure. The same OS restriction is of course true, but I kinda pulled a fast one with my setup. The PCM (and engine) was from a 2001 with an auto trans. I flashed in a 2002, 12212156 manual OS for 2 additional reasons.....one, e-fans. Two.....as with my Camaro, in 2002 GM deleted EGR. It saved me a lot of tweaking in HPT afterwards.
    Oh
    Well if you wrote entire I would think your good to go
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Gen3's typically do not freak out when swapping auto to manual, just disable all the transmission junk (DTCs, abuse mode, etc.).

It's the Gen4s where somebody takes an auto trans platform and chops off the TCM and then wonders why it acts all weird.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post

It's the Gen4s where somebody takes an auto trans platform and chops off the TCM and then wonders why it acts all weird.
    Is that the scenario where you have to reflash the PCM with a 2010 Camaro calibration and wire the VSS directly to the PCM itself (the 155mph problem)?

Has to be a manual trans calibration that's compatible with the rest of the hardware (ECM service number, pedal, TB), there is no one single 'right' OS to use. There are four different year ranges just for E38s and they cannot mix-n-match OSes between them, or else you end up with a fancy doorstop.

The Gen4s with integrated TAC have to be flashed with Tech2/MDI or other J2534 passthru that works with GM SPS.

Gen3 is either cable TB or elec with an external TAC module, so the TAC isn't part of the PCM OS - these can be write-entired in HPT just fine - if you want to spend the credits licensing a repository file of unknown provenance.

Gen3's typically do not freak out when swapping auto to manual, just disable all the transmission junk (DTCs, abuse mode, etc.).

That seems like the easy solution. I had heard the segment swap thing does not work for the manual trans swaps for some reason.

Do you see any issue with just disabling all the trans DCTs as far as readiness monitors and such go? We are in California, and this Jeep is going to have to be smogged. So he is using all the factory emissions equipment. I just want to make sure we can get all monitors to “ready”.

We are in California, and this Jeep is going to have to be smogged.
    I don't know how picky they will be about changes to the non-engine stuff. It might pass everything OK, but for the sake of at least being able to show that you did everything you could the right way, I'd rather start with a base tune that actually matches the drivetrain. Of course, it could still fail for other reasons even if you do that.

I don't know how picky they will be about changes to the non-engine stuff. It might pass everything OK, but for the sake of at least being able to show that you did everything you could the right way, I'd rather start with a base tune that actually matches the drivetrain. Of course, it could still fail for other reasons even if you do that.
    That was my thought, but I do not have any personal experience dealing with the smog referee. My project is a 1968, thank god. No smog on that.

Once the swap is approved, it is just a matter of passing a regular test every few years. In our case here, that really just requires all the OBD2 monitors to be set. I know from past experiences, that is pretty easy to do with HPT.

So I guess the only other question would be this: how do I go about flashing a base tune for a manual? Can it be done with HPT?

Gen3 is either cable TB or elec with an external TAC module, so the TAC isn't part of the PCM OS - these can be write-entired in HPT just fine - if you want to spend the credits licensing a repository file of unknown provenance.
    But I'd rather get the file straight from GM, programmed in with GM-compliant tools.

Just because a repository file has a blank file history does not mean that it has not been altered in some way, written to a PCM, and then re-read. Doing that clears the changelog, and AFAIK a while back when HPT removed all the obviously-modified files from the repository, all they could realistically do was check for a blank changelog.

P01 or P59? What's the current OS (application - year/make/model/engine RPO)?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWMD82 View Post
    That seems like the easy solution. I had heard the segment swap thing does not work for the manual trans swaps for some reason.

Do you see any issue with just disabling all the trans DCTs as far as readiness monitors and such go? We are in California, and this Jeep is going to have to be smogged. So he is using all the factory emissions equipment. I just want to make sure we can get all monitors to “ready”.
    I don't know how you will ever get it smogged in Cali. You can't put the jeep VIN in the PCM with HP Tuners and with Cali looking at CVNs now I don't see how any swap can get smogged.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xLS1 View Post
    I don't know how you will ever get it smogged in Cali. You can't put the jeep VIN in the PCM with HP Tuners and with Cali looking at CVNs now I don't see how any swap can get smogged.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ng-Smog-Checks

Yep, I had heard the CVN thing was coming. I work at a STAR certified smog shop, and have yet to encounter this issue.

This is going to be a legal swap that will be approved by the “smog referee”. There’s no way to put the VIN of a 78 Jeep into the ECU, and they are aware of that. BUT, it is starting to look like I may need a stock, unmodified file. If it will not pass without an OEM CVN, then it looks like that is my only option.

P01 or P59? What's the current OS (application - year/make/model/engine RPO)?
    I am not totally sure at this point. I need to read out the tune file next time I am at his shop. About all I know is that it is a 2003 6 liter.

I still need to figure out exactly how this vehicle will be smogged once it is done. It is a 1978, but my understanding is that with a BAR-approved engine swap the vehicle must then conform to the standards of the donor vehicle. However, I do not know if this means it just needs to have tailpipe emissions at 2003 standards, or if it also gets an OBD2 test that checks calibration data. I do not know how that would work, as the emissions tester would identify the vehicle as a 2003 Silverado (or whatever). I know I am probably best off tracking down a factory file if possible.