Thread: Looking for help: 08 Silverado

Potential Tuner

Looking for help: 08 Silverado

Purchased a 2008 silverado with a 5.3 (LH6) with 265,000 KM, I was going to disable DOD but when I read the file from the truck it seems someone had already beat me to it. Ive notice the fuel economy is quite poor, its not my daily driver but I figured something had to be different with my truck compared to stock.

Previous Owner Mods:
    shorty headers
    cat-back exhaust
    intake

Tire size: 275/65/20
    Gear: 3.73 (factory)

I was wondering if anyone felt like looking through these tune files and maybe let me know if they see any issues or surprises with the tune currently on my truck compared to a bone stock tune from the repository. My level of knowledge with tuning is low. I have HPtuners and use it for DOD related stuff as well as diagnostics. I compared the 2 files and it seems a bunch of stuff has been changed in my ECU. Just wondering if this is generic DOD related stuff or was someone doing performance tuning and maybe could be improved upon.

Truck is used for towing a car trailer and normal truck stuff.

2008 Silverado STOCK CODY.hpt
    Stock 08 Silverado Tune from HPTuners.hpt

Thanks in advance!

The tire size isn't right, so your speedo is off a little bit. It still says it's running the stock 31's instead of the 33's that you have now.

The tune is somewhat tame compared to others I've seen. They made the full throttle commanded fueling a little leaner which is fine, some timing adjustments. They turned off the engine side torque mngt and the spark/ETC cut for the traction control.

I don't see anything in there that would alter the fuel mileage a lot though. Other than your bigger tires that's about it.

You didn't post a log of how it's running so I can't see how it's doing. Like if there are high or negative fuel trims and that sort of stuff.
    Last edited by 5FDP; 04-11-2021 at 10:07 PM.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for taking the time to check out the tunes. I can take a log on my days off and post it. Just normal street driving or would a highway run be better? Or a mix of both.

Any reason that someone would mess with the engine side torque management or spark/etc cut for traction control?

Potential Tuner
    I?ve seen as low as 11 mpg or 20 litres per 100.

For better performance and throttle response mainly and so that it won't cut as much power if traction is lost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.