Thread: I want my LS7 to CHOP

Potential Tuner

I want my LS7 to CHOP

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for a while in these posts and have been trying to learn everything I can after some shady situations with local tuners. My issue came from me installing an new intake system (MSD Atomic, 102mm TB, halltech intake) and now I don't have the same chop I did before. I have done multiple rounds and iterations of tuning my VVE and MAF which isn't too bad with some driving and patience but the idle is kind of kicking my butt. I have a TSP stage 2.2 cam with their PRC 285 heads and before I did the intake stuff it had some mean chop, but now its kinda muffled and flat sounding (turndowns off the x-pipe so it should be loud) Im just driving myself up the wall and would like a sanity check or some tips. I've checked for vac leaks, capped off my active exhaust, my vacuum sits at about 40 kpa, reletively stable idle (no hunting) but it's pretty sensitive when I go to take off (idle drops and wants to stall). Sorry i tried to fit as much info as i could so kinda long winded. Idle Work.hpt Thank yall for any help!

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    slab sum-bich in it
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Can you look at your idle settings from your previous tune? I mean.... you can only tweak it so far but...usually keeping it smooth as you can with the given cam and vacuum. Cam overlap is what it is ya know? At least that's how i always understood it.
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

Senior Tuner
    Do you mean you want a fake cam sound? Like a ghost cam setup?

Advanced Tuner
    PM sent. I believe what you're looking for is in the Idle Over/Under Speed timing tables. These can control the cam sound at idle to a certain extent.
    Last edited by village_idiot; 04-12-2021 at 05:16 PM.

Potential Tuner
    So I've been messing around with it. I know it has the potential to sound mean but ever since I did the intake system it just sounds flat and doesn't have the same rhythm I guess.

Potential Tuner
    So not fake cam sound, ive got a TSP stage 2 and it used to have a mean chop before i did the intake system. just trying to get that back. The only reason i havent been messing with the over under tables is because it had a good sound before without them. it kinda steered me away from that, but im still trying to learn so any info is much appreciated.

Senior Tuner
    My cam had a nasty mean chop when I got it installed and tuned at my initial tuners shop. I thought I had this wild cam and that it was tough as. Heaps of shake and surge around idle speeds.

After I learnt a little bit and started fiddling myself I've got the cam dialed back nicely to the point where I'm now able to install a stock stall if I wanted. About +/- 2 deg adaptive idle correction on average. Sounds almost factory.

In your case if you want to introduce the fake cam chop sound back, you need to hit the idle under over speed spark tables.

This post from hp academy will tell you how to do it. Their example is on an L98.

https://www.hpacademy.com/previous-w...cam-hp-tuners/

Senior Tuner
    Add some proportional air as well to make the spark correction to have to work harder