Thread: VVE Tuning E38 on a G8 GT

Potential Tuner

VVE Tuning E38 on a G8 GT

I am in need of some help. I am new to tuning and am trying to tune my 2009 G8 GT. I think I have my MAF table good. (I hope) and have moved on to my VVE Table. I have spent hours reading forum posts and watching youtube videos. It seems like everyone has their own opinion on how best to do this.

So here is the wall I have run into. My tables are getting close if I use WB error, but only after the car warms up for like 5-10 minutes. Before that they are crazy. (I have attached log files for each one.)

So I have 2 main questions: 1. Am I tuning this correctly and 2. why am I getting these results.

a third question that's in the back of my head is that maybe I have a vacuum or exhaust leak, or something else wrong with the car.

So here is how I am tuning:

These are my settings in HPTuners:
    Engine - Fuel - DFCO
    enable ECT - 493
    disable ect - 492
    enable rpm - 8000
    disable rpm - 7999

Engine - Fuel - O2
    o2 readiness ECT - 493 across board
    LTFT
    Min ect 493
    Max ext 0

engine diag - airflow
    maf freq fail high - 2
    maf freq fail low - 1
    p0103 - error on first

Both Spark table
    Subtract 5 degrees

I am logging a histogram that is EQ error ratio vs MAP vs RPM and adjusting VVE by 1/2 %

Please help me!

Thank you in advance!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by malimir View Post
    I am in need of some help. I am new to tuning and am trying to tune my 2009 G8 GT. I think I have my MAF table good. (I hope) and have moved on to my VVE Table. I have spent hours reading forum posts and watching youtube videos. It seems like everyone has their own opinion on how best to do this.

So here is the wall I have run into. My tables are getting close if I use WB error, but only after the car warms up for like 5-10 minutes. Before that they are crazy. (I have attached log files for each one.)

So I have 2 main questions: 1. Am I tuning this correctly and 2. why am I getting these results.

a third question that's in the back of my head is that maybe I have a vacuum or exhaust leak, or something else wrong with the car.

So here is how I am tuning:

These are my settings in HPTuners:
    Engine - Fuel - DFCO
    enable ECT - 493
    disable ect - 492
    enable rpm - 8000
    disable rpm - 7999

Engine - Fuel - O2
    o2 readiness ECT - 493 across board
    LTFT
    Min ect 493
    Max ext 0

engine diag - airflow
    maf freq fail high - 2
    maf freq fail low - 1
    p0103 - error on first

Both Spark table
    Subtract 5 degrees

I am logging a histogram that is EQ error ratio vs MAP vs RPM and adjusting VVE by 1/2 %

Please help me!

Thank you in advance!!!!
    What mods are done to the car?
    The tune appears to be mostly stock, other than trying to fail the MAF sensor.
    It's not being failed properly. Be sure to change P0101, 102, and 103 to MIL on first error.
    Also need to 0 the Test ERT Min and the Test Enable Delay values.
    Also need to Max out the Max Fail Effective Area under the Engine>Idle>Airflow settings.
    I'm not sure why you subtracted 5 degrees from the Spark tables though.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Mods to the car are only LT Headers, CAT delete, and X-Pipe

I subtracted 5 degrees from timing as suggested in other how-tos for tuning safety.

Thank you again!!!!!