Thread: 2011 F150 5.0, ETC Max Throttle Angle, Optimum Power

Advanced Tuner

2011 F150 5.0, ETC Max Throttle Angle, Optimum Power

Hello, I see that 82 to 83 degrees is the maximum throttle angle in the stock calibration.

Table 44355 (ETC Max Throttle Angle vs RPM) has the engine speed axis all "16,383" and the throttle angle axis is all "90*".

What does this table translate in saying what the maximum throttle angle at a realistic 2000 rpm would be?
    I can't tell if this is a limiter table that's referenced for lower rpms or simply says that no matter the RPM, 90 degrees will be the maximum blade opening?

Another table that seems to follow a similar idea is 38171 VCT Optimum Power Enable Pedal Position % vs RPM
    Here the engine speed axis is all "6000" and the pedal position axis says "55".
    Is this interpreted as the VCT Optimum Power mode being prevented from enabling below 6000 rpm?

You are correct in all your assumptions. If you were to want to use one of the tables you mentioned, you must edit the axis values to have realistic rpm ranges

Advanced Tuner
    Ok thank you.
    I edited the Max Throttle Angle table's rpm axis to read 1000 rpm, 1500 rpm, 2000 rpm and 16,383 rpm is the default in the remaining cells.

I set the 1000 rpm max to 63 degrees.
    1500 rpm max to 72 degrees.
    2000 rpm max to 82 degrees.

My understanding is that from this 2000 rpm cell to the next 16,383 rpm cell, it will use the values in between for a maximum limit, which are 82* @2000 rpm and 90* @ the unrealistic 16,383 rpm break point.
    Assuming that despite 90* being a limit, it can only open 82* as per the [12409] ETC Throttle Angle Max parameter being 82.00*

I tried to somewhat be gradual by having the blade open 75% rather than 100% by 1000 rpm just in case too much airmass causes a new knock scenario at low rpm where it wasn't present before.

Advanced Tuner
    That's not right.

Keeping the same number across the axis was Fords way of making things simple for them by letting them use one number in place of 6 numbers scattered throught the RPM.

You said OP enable has the same axis of 6000 with a pedal value of 55 in the cells. The values mean any where in the RPM you exceed throttle position greater than 55 OP will enable. That's one of the thresholds of OP. Thresholds are scattered through out the tables and some might be overlooked. For OP, you have Op Pedal Enable and OP Load enable. Both of those thresholds need to be met before going into OP. Your pedal has to be xx% and your air load has to be xx% to transition to OP.

82 or 83 should be max angle. The throttle body calibration shows 82* as WOT, max angle. They're both limiters, set them the same.

The data in between the cells interpolate. If you have a table with 2 cells in it. One cell has a value of "1", the other cell has a value of "3". The interpolated data in between those to cells would be 2. It's like that in between every cells, left, right, up, down, all the data in between is calculate and ran through the ecm.

Advanced Tuner
    So the 6000 rpm values on the rpm axis don't mean anything then if 55 pedal position will always be the threshold to get into OP?
    At the same token, you're also saying that the 16,000 rpm value with a 90* max throttle angle, is still saying that at any RPM, 90* throttle angle will be the maximum it can ever see? According to those 2 tables and not factoring any other clips.

Advanced Tuner
    I understand they scale between cells but the first cell is 16,000 rpm and not 0, so I'm confused.

Advanced Tuner
    In other words, what's the significance of 6000 rpm in the OP table if it doesn't matter under that rpm for OP to enable. Why not have 1 rpm in there, the logic doesn't make sense that you're suggesting but I'll do my own testing and see wtf is truly going on.

Advanced Tuner
    Power enrichment table had a similar situation where the rpm axis was all "6500" in the factory tune.
    Everyone says PE is disabled from factory which would make sense as this vehicle doesn't exceed much past 6400 rpm stock.
    However I'm new to this Ford world and see that even a few years apart, utilizes slightly different logic in certain tables.

So what seems to make sense doesn't initially, in a few days I'm going to do a ton of datalog tests monitoring when certain modes are triggered/enabled as maybe this 2011 Copperhead f150 ecu does things a little different.

Advanced Tuner
    I don't know why Ford did it like that either. 6000 is their favorite digit.
    You have your OP table. You have your fuel tables, there's tables in VCT tab and throttle angle max.

Think about the fuel enrichment table, there's no way they would target stoich from 0 RPM to 6000 RPM, once at 6000 RPM then you get fuel enrichment. Why they used 6000, I don't know, but Ford knows that if someone is 90% throttle, they're WOT, OP enabled, PE enabled. It's there so you can customize it however you want want, to the way you drive.

tableschange.PNG

Advanced Tuner
    You are totally right, sorry for doubting you. Just did a scan with the stock tune, 82* throttle angle basically right away from idle full throttle and power enrichment commanded 0.85 lambda right from low rpm full throttle.
    Thank you for your info and I simply had to see it all for myself as this was much different than the usual logic.

Advanced Tuner
    I leaned the PE a little bit at lower rpms and went with 0.85 lambda from about 3500 rpm till redline. Thought I'd notice a bigger difference but stock was about 0.81-82 commanded up top so not a big contrast.

I haven't tried any cam timing changes but the current 'OP intake valve open' is stock at -50 full advance until 4250 rpm where it retards a little to -45.
    5000 rpm is -30, 5500 rpm is -25.
    Assuming there are some gains retarding from stock in the sub 4500 rpm range.

Exhaust valve open is 5* at 1000 rpm.
    10* from 1500-3000 rpm, 12* until 5000 rpm and 15* onwards.