Thread: 370Z turbo tuning

370Z turbo tuning

Hey gang,

Perhaps a bit of a long shot as I see this is not a super popular Nissan tuning option, but I'm curious on a few things. I've been playing with HP as an alternative to "brand x" tuning software on a 370Z I have here with a turbo kit. Just a few observations

1. No knock PID as others have mentioned. Not the end of the world but would be nice to have one
    2. Fuel tuning - I don't see a lot of action done by adjusting the main and cold fuel compensation/trim tables. Especially in closed loop. Other brand tuning software generally leaves the MAF calibrations alone and tunes in fuel by these trim tables. Doesn't appear to work very well with HP. Have others had luck here?
    3. MAF tuning - this also appears to be a little erratic. Tuning bank-to-bank is a pain, but aside from that, I'm getting fairly inconsistent fueling at the same MAF voltage across subsequent runs.
    4. Timing - this appears to work OK. There may be some timing adders that come into play (akin to negative KR on Ford engines?) however ignition timing is not too far off from where it is commanded

For those that have much more experience on these than I do, how do you generally tune in fuel? MAF scaling or through the trim tables or via another means?

Tuner in Training
    Good luck getting a response here, I have posted a few things and there was mostly silence. From what I understand there is some development in the pipeline but nothing official. I will be going down the same route as you with a tuning turbo VQ37. How did you go with the timing adjustment for the increase in cylinder pressure? Adjusting the trimming tables? Hopefully once I start tuning Ill share any progress on here to help others struggling with the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kjlindgr View Post
    Hey gang,

Perhaps a bit of a long shot as I see this is not a super popular Nissan tuning option, but I'm curious on a few things. I've been playing with HP as an alternative to "brand x" tuning software on a 370Z I have here with a turbo kit. Just a few observations

1. No knock PID as others have mentioned. Not the end of the world but would be nice to have one
    2. Fuel tuning - I don't see a lot of action done by adjusting the main and cold fuel compensation/trim tables. Especially in closed loop. Other brand tuning software generally leaves the MAF calibrations alone and tunes in fuel by these trim tables. Doesn't appear to work very well with HP. Have others had luck here?
    3. MAF tuning - this also appears to be a little erratic. Tuning bank-to-bank is a pain, but aside from that, I'm getting fairly inconsistent fueling at the same MAF voltage across subsequent runs.
    4. Timing - this appears to work OK. There may be some timing adders that come into play (akin to negative KR on Ford engines?) however ignition timing is not too far off from where it is commanded

For those that have much more experience on these than I do, how do you generally tune in fuel? MAF scaling or through the trim tables or via another means?
    1) There should be multiple knock PIDs available for the 370 as memory parameters. If you aren't seeing them it's because we don't have your OS in our database which it loads the scanner definitions from. All you need to do is let me know what your OS is, I'll add it, download latest after it's built and repoll. You should see knock count, piston slap retard, knock retard, torque advance/retard among others.

2) These tables are defined at the same locations as other software. So something else is going on if it's not working for you that isn't software related.

3) Same as 2. This problem usually comes in the form of something mechanical (vacuum/boost/exhaust leak would be where I'd start)

Quote Originally Posted by Jchau1 View Post
    How did you go with the timing adjustment for the increase in cylinder pressure? Adjusting the trimming tables?
    Yes. There is a "high octane" timing adjust table which controls ignition timing. Keep in mind though that load is a factor of injector pulse width and not manifold pressure. Weird, I know. The image below is from my tune that is altered from stock. I haven't optimized timing yet but wanted it conservative while dialing in fuel.

timing.png
    Last edited by kjlindgr; 04-13-2021 at 11:35 PM.

Thanks for the response Evan. My OS is 1A37D, I believe, which is a 2010 370Z Nismo. If I can get those Knock values, that would be SUPER!

I'll smoke the intake tomorrow for leaks. I'll also capture some better logs and tune files and post them up. Thanks again!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlindgr View Post
    Yes. There is a "high octane" timing adjust table which controls ignition timing. Keep in mind though that load is a factor of injector pulse width and not manifold pressure. Weird, I know. The image below is from my tune that is altered from stock. I haven't optimized timing yet but wanted it conservative while dialing in fuel.

timing.png
    Did you change this map completely? Looks completely different to mine. I have a heap of negative numbers - Wanting to make sure there isn't something different about my map that's all. Loking forward to seeing what kind of progress you make with the tune

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but I'll also be chasing the same PID's update Evan but on the hardware OS 1NX6D 2011 Infiniti G37

I changed a lot of the stock map, but I can say there were no negative timing numbers in the OEM map. Here's the stock map I had:

timing.png

Tuner in Training
    Interesting, this is what mine looks like. Would you mind attaching a copy of your .HPT file?

Hp tuners timing.jpg

Attached is the OEM .hpt file for this vehicle

2010 370Z Nismo OEM.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Hey mate, did you end up having any more progress with this?

This is 2013 370z Turbo build engine low comp.
    I retard timing 3 grades, but after 2 pulls its back where it was. Its making 410 whp on 5 psi and 11.0 AFR
    Speed PID show 300 kms/h on 4th gear......190 km/h on dyno.
    Attached Files Attached Files