Thread: 2017 dodge charger idle hunt on ve tune

Potential Tuner

2017 dodge charger idle hunt on ve tune

Vehicle is stock with cold air kit. I did a ve tune and when it is cold it has a idle hunt. Here is the tune and a log file . Any help will be appreciated.2017 charger cold startidle hunt.hpl2017 white charger new pcm final tune dfco and temp control back on.hpt

Look at your ve. It's all hacked to crap.. make it smooth and maybe it won't need to hunt for idle bud.. otherwise set it back to stock.

Why did you turn off ANN? You have a stock setup. Are you wanting to disable VVT as well?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rockystock View Post
    Why did you turn off ANN? You have a stock setup. Are you wanting to disable VVT as well?
    I tuned the car with ann. No problems cold or hot.
    I was trying to ve tune the vehicle for learning since it is stock and not highly modified. This is my first dodge to tune. Before i attempt a modified vehicle i wanted to learn on something simple. Once the vehicle gets to operating temp all ve is +-3 percent. This problem is only cold and only for about 45 second to a minute. Thanks for the replies.

I see. With the ANN disabled, you'll want to also disable VVT. The reason is that the ANN allows the engine to run optimally as the cam moves around. Without ANN, the fixed VE tables can't provide for sufficiently quick changes to estimated VE as the cam moves around, especially during rapid transients. You can hammer out a VE table like you're doing (and I did); but the transients and overall drivability will constantly bring the suck.

I tried tuning the way you're doing it and experienced bizarre feedback loops where the engine would suddenly start vibrating, among other strange things. As soon as the cam would start moving too quickly, the aircharge, pressure ratio, spark, etc. would also start moving, possibly moving either RPM or aircharge back down, which would then cause the cam to retard back some, and round and round it would go. And fast, too, like six or seven 100-150 mg aircharge fluctuations per second.

Anyway, hope that helps save you some time. If you do decide to disable your VVT along with ANN, I've attached a text file of data for the VE tables you can apply in your tune. Just select all in the file and copy, then paste into both of your VE tables. They should look like this when you're done:

VE Table - Stock 5-7 ANN Disabled.png

VE Table - Stock 5-7 ANN Disabled-2.png

VE Table - Stock 5.7 ANN Disabled.txt

The above table is from earlier 5.7 stock tunes, before they started using the mangled tables in 2011. The table should more closely correspond to the fully advanced cam position (for the 5.7 that would be about 127 degrees exhaust angle), which is where the cam will be when VVT is disabled. The tables should give you a much better starting point for tuning. If you've tuned or otherwise modified your fuel injector tables, definitely return them to stock when you're tuning speed density. Just go easy and don't attempt WOT until you're confident the VE will be close. Also recommend subtracting maybe 3 degrees from the lower third of your spark tables while you're tuning, just to help avoid knocking. Once the VE is close to being dialed in, start returning your spark tables to stock.

I think that there are other parameters that were optimized for VVT, so you will probably still have some mysteries to solve.

Almost forgot - if you don't have a wideband O2 yet, you're better off returning to the stock tune until you can get one.

Oh one more thing - the experience you get by tuning your VE tables can be directly applied to tuning with the NNT.

Good luck!
    Last edited by rockystock; 04-25-2021 at 03:44 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks Rocky this the type of information I was looking for. I have been tuning gm and some fords and this is a different animal. Again thanks for the help. Brian Williams

Potential Tuner
    Oh yaeh I do have a wideband and a dyno. Just need the experience now.