Thread: noob to hp tuners but not to tuning.

Potential Tuner

noob to hp tuners but not to tuning.

So as title states i am new to hp platform but do alot of stand alone tuning. basically i got hp tuners to do ls swaps in customers cars. using factory pcm is far more cost effective and power levels will be 700 or less. so to start the ball rolling im going to start with my daily driver an 01 tahoe. when i look at os avail i have only speed density and 2 bar. i have another p01 out of a 2001 gmc yukon xl and it has rtt options. So my question is if i licence the doner pcm and disable vats will it work in my tahoe without conflict from bcm and non matching vin in other modules. ) 01 is pretty low tech on can bus in that era if it even exists in my truck. on gather info on both pcm all it comes up with is the pcm. so am i correct assuming the doner pcm will be fine? basically have my stock pcm sit on shelf as back up. i have not licenced either at this point. the tahoe will get a single turbo but limited to 600hp as the 4l60 i build handle that pretty well and dont need or want to 80e swap my daily.

thanks in advance and look forward to alot of interaction on this forum.

Are you needing RTT options? I've honestly never used them.

Those computer don't have can-bus and the PCM is the only thing to read, it controls the engine and transmission as one. The BCM or anything else does not matter, it won't care that those are missing. If both of those trucks run the same TAC module if they are drive by wire they should be just fine.

The 2001 Tahoe computer will support 14-15psi of boost on the VE table no problem, you can go higher than that if you needed too. But honestly 10-12psi on a healthy 5.3 will be more than enough to blow the tires off. You'd be worried about your connecting rods past 500hp anyway.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    dont necessarily need real time but kinda figured may save a bit of time in initial tuning when boost is introduced. and i figure if i ever do hit 20psi i can still tune wot like anything else in speed density and push past resolution of 2 bar os and yea i agree the rods are only good for 500 to 600 with my year...lol. the real time tuning just sounds fun... and if i licenced doner pcm my factory one would be there just in case and also if i took turbo system off and went back to stock. i can use the doner pcm to put in the wifes 37 chevy pu when i finish getting parts. so a win win situation now that i know i can licence this donor pcm to learn hpt on with no ill effects on my tahoe... thx for the respose. im super familiar with holley and megasquirt and even haltec for high hp ls stuff. i kinda worked backwards, do alot of 1000 to 1500hp stuff now with customer demand getting into more docle 500hp range. and 500hp will scare crap out of 90% of the population anyways.

Yeah, 500hp will melt tires off in a heart beat if people aren't careful.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    neither truck are dbw...both are cable. i was just concerned about bcm and abs and stuff being upset if i changed the pcm . i cant remember how many modules are in my truck i would have to pick up the snap on and read all. but has bcm, and abs for sure. and a tcase module . all report through adl but i wasnt sure if it was true can bus where they comunicate with each other or just a shared data bus line for adl