Thread: Goat rope garage vs tuning school vs erm vs greg banish...etc

Goat rope garage vs tuning school vs erm vs greg banish...etc

straight forward question which one of these books would you recommend for an advanced tuner that is starting out meaning someone that have already studied tuning on the internet from watching videos(goat rope garage youtube channel particulary as foundation videos and alot other) , reading articles,posts ,asking questions....etc for no less than a year until reaching a point where there is nothing more to learn so basically which one of these tuning books would you recommend to someone like this who wants to make sure he learned everything .
    since there is alot of books and courses out there but no one really have a clear review about them .

Advanced Tuner
    Greg Banish is the real deal and I got a lot out of his book, "Engine Management Advanced Tuning." Compared to the cost of his DVDs, the book is a steal!

Tuner
    The Tuning School has a nice package , cant go wrong with Kyle (Goat Rope)

Tuner in Training
    They all have there place. I've used all of them and taken bits of each to get an understanding of these systems. My vote if I were to start again would be erm (wish he was still here) buy that system I believe it's owned by full throttle or something? Do some tinkering and once you think you know what you are doing read it again and fully understand. Then banish, everything he has done is also great. I love goat rope but it's becoming too sponsored and pushy now on the products it seems. I also have all the tuning school materials. The online gen v stuff helped a lot. Continue educating yourself in these boards and you will gain immense knowledge from the regular posters also.

Everyone on they just steals the knowledge on the forum BUT Greg Banish... he helped pave the way..

Good for them to capitalize from the knowledge of the senior tuners here for free....

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

thank you all for your replys it helped me to understand that i should probably buy all of them after searching and reading about everyone of them , no harm can come from learning more and more about tuning which is something i love but i will need to start with the erm course since its the kind of info i am looking for at the moment then i will be cheking out greg banish books wished the 2 of them would still be here today....then i will gradually buy the rest of the books and courses left however i went to erm website to purchase the course but i am not sure how much does it cost because there is these packages with mpvi2 and mpvi1,widebands sensors.....etc and i dont want all this i just want the erm verision 2 tuning course with word or powerpoint files only if possible can someone show me the exact price for the course without the additional stuff it would be apperciated.
    Last edited by Varto20; 04-29-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Charles View Post
    Everyone on they just steals the knowledge on the forum BUT Greg Banish... he helped pave the way..

Good for them to capitalize from the knowledge of the senior tuners here for free....
    Totally respect you, I have learned lots from your input on this forum.

I would just like to say that Ed did acknowledge Greg Banish, Dave Steck, Vet Doctors, Russ K. EFI LIVE, and many others in his tutorial.
    I found Ed's book very well written and I think it is a great publication for a beginning tuner.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Never had the chance to meet ED... RIP to him... not sure what happen to ERM after his passing

ERM doesn't have their tuning info/course anymore... They sold it a couple of years ago... they are not doing it anymore... "As of September 8th, 2019 the ERM Performance Tuning Tutorial rights have been sold to Throttle-Up Industries LLC. All rights to the tuning tutorial now belong to them. Please contact them at 541-678-7827 with any further questions or info"

Have seen others post that they have tried to contact ERM by emailing them, calling them, several times, and never get a response nor get to talk to anyone... some have also purchased items from their site and never got them....
    So it seems as though they might be out of the game period...
    Last edited by 06MonteSS; 05-06-2021 at 02:59 PM.
    06MonteSS

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, Custom paint-matched Bowtie emblems, Custom painted SS emblems, BMR strut tower brace, CAI - Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Bo White Ported/Polished throttle body, Custom DiabLew Tune

Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    I would just like to say that Ed did acknowledge Greg Banish, Dave Steck, Vet Doctors, Russ K. EFI LIVE, and many others in his tutorial.
    Ed was actually one of my students a long time ago. It was good to see someone applying what was presented in the class, somewhat flattering. The other parrots and copycats, not so much, especially when they get the technical part wrong. For those looking for more high quality training material, we have all of our video content online now at the streaming site in my signature below. There's more coming, and I'm back to hosting the occasional live class.

Quote Originally Posted by eficalibrator View Post
    For those looking for more high quality training material, we have all of our video content online now at the streaming site in my signature below. There's more coming, and I'm back to hosting the occasional live class.
    I have purchased a few of Greg's videos and I'm very happy with them. The Flex Fuel one was a huge help when I installed my Flex Fuel Sensor. He identified some codes and tables that needed attention that I had not seen mentioned anywhere else.
    When I get a Gen V to tune I'll definitely purchase that Video
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner
    In the last six or eight years, because of the nature of my work as a technical writer, I've spent some time evaluating some of the tuning courses out there.

My favorites are:

Greg Banish's stuff, especially his books and his DVDs. I'll add that, even though his two books, Engine Management Advanced Tuning and Design and Tuning High-Performance Fuel Injection were released in '07 and '09, a lot of the content in those books is still valid, today. I also have viewed some of the video content he has online but have not had a chance to really get into them yet. In any event, I think that Banish's stuff is excellent, mainly because of his past experience as a calibrator for GM.

The "Tuning School" has some pretty good material, too. I've become a big fan of their home-study courses. I have the first three versions of their GM books. Admittedly the first version was a little rough in the proof-reading department but V2 was better and V3 very good. I have not reviewed the latest editions of the Tuning School's home study courses for GM Gen 3 and 4, but I hope to do so soon.

One thing I have not done is take any "Calibrated Success" or "Tuning School" in-person classes...mainly because none have been held near me. Based on my experience with both vendors' books and discs, there's little doubt in my mind that their classes are pretty darn good, too.
    Hib Halverson
    Just Another Tuner in Training.

Potential Tuner
    It`s rare those days to share ideas the way Greg did in his DVDs. But unfortunately, his book ... Maybe he should hire someone to make the text easier to read it? Change some styling stuff, at least use some paraphrasing tool for assistance;https://edubirdie.com/paraphrasing-tool. I don`t know, maybe hire some writer to help him with writing clear sentences. But I understand that everyone has his limits. However, Greg is one of the best in GM tuning.
    Last edited by Bortran43; 12-27-2021 at 02:23 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Jeff Evans, of 'Evans Performance Academy' has some of the best, up to date, instruction for a very reasonable price. The videos are downloadable, so there is no need to be in constant wifi mode when viewing, aka, no internet required once downloaded. Plus he has been extremely accessible via email. I purchased the Gen4 Master Program.

Greg Banish is the OG of proper modeling and coming from the OE engineering side of things breeds much more confidence in his teachings. I have much much respect for him and his direction early on in my GM tuning career.
    James Short - [email protected]
    Located in Central Kentucky
    ShorTuning
    2020 Camaro 2SS | BTR 230 | GPI CNC Heads | MSD Intake | Rotofab | 2" LT's | Flex Fuel | 638rwhp / 540rwtq
    2002 Camaro | LSX 427 | CID LS7's | Twin GT5088's | Haltech Nexus R5 | RPM TH400

Tuner in Training

Evans performance

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyboy View Post
    Jeff Evans, of 'Evans Performance Academy' has some of the best, up to date, instruction for a very reasonable price. The videos are downloadable, so there is no need to be in constant wifi mode when viewing, aka, no internet required once downloaded. Plus he has been extremely accessible via email. I purchased the Gen4 Master Program.

So you would say evans performance is the way to go