Thread: 2014 E38 L77 w/ E-1840-P cam misfire log

Tuner in Training

2014 E38 L77 w/ E-1840-P cam misfire log

its so ugly
    where do I start looking?
    plugs are about 1 month old and so are the plug wires.

About the car --
    Complete OE exhaust system no other performance upgrades.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by TURBOPOWERED68; 04-16-2021 at 04:54 AM.
    1986 GN Stand alone FAST XFI
    1968 Chevelle Turbo LQ4
    2014 Caprice 6.0 6L80

Go ahead and post the tune file as well. Depending on cam size, you may have to make some adjustments to misfire sensitivity. I had to completely disable random misfire tests on my car, 235/248 cam on an ls3. My logs just as ugly as yours, turned out to all be false misfires...

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick912 View Post
    Go ahead and post the tune file as well. Depending on cam size, you may have to make some adjustments to misfire sensitivity. I had to completely disable random misfire tests on my car, 235/248 cam on an ls3. My logs just as ugly as yours, turned out to all be false misfires...
    Problem is -- The car is running like it has a misfire or two.
    1968 Chevelle Turbo LQ4
    2014 Caprice 6.0 6L80

Tuner in Training
    so number 2 is the problem
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TURBOPOWERED68; 04-15-2021 at 08:18 PM.
    1968 Chevelle Turbo LQ4
    2014 Caprice 6.0 6L80

If you create an 02 voltage chart, you can see that your O2's are not switching well, leading me to believe something is up with fueling, or if you're running an aftermarket set of headers that change 02 location you may need to make some adjustments to your proportional and integral delay tables. It also shows its commanding an afr of 14.06, I'm not sure if you're running an ethanol sensor and its adjusting afr based on that, it would be useful to log commanded lambda to be sure. If you can confirm that plugs, wires, and coils are all functioning properly, I would definitely start with getting your fueling problems squared away to start.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick912 View Post
    If you create an 02 voltage chart, you can see that your O2's are not switching well, leading me to believe something is up with fueling, or if you're running an aftermarket set of headers that change 02 location you may need to make some adjustments to your proportional and integral delay tables. It also shows its commanding an afr of 14.06, I'm not sure if you're running an ethanol sensor and its adjusting afr based on that, it would be useful to log commanded lambda to be sure. If you can confirm that plugs, wires, and coils are all functioning properly, I would definitely start with getting your fueling problems squared away to start.
    Thanks
    Will Lambda to the log chart, Also the entire exhaust system is OE with no glowing cats or holes in the system. Going to dig into the coils, wires and possibly injectors this week. Already ordered a new set of spark plugs.
    1968 Chevelle Turbo LQ4
    2014 Caprice 6.0 6L80

Sounds like a good plan. Also make sure to double check plug gaps while you're at it before shelling out more money on a new set if they are only a month old.

Tuner in Training
    one thing I am a little annoyed about is the misfire detection threshold was set at 6500 rpm -- so here i am running the misfire test over 25 times in all kinds of loads and getting nothing back but zeros.
    Once I discovered this I set the threshold to 500 rpm and walla look at the picture.

Swapped coils and still #4
    Swapped plug wire and still #4

Installing new NGK TR6 plugs today
    Just ordered new set of OE injectors
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1968 Chevelle Turbo LQ4
    2014 Caprice 6.0 6L80