Thread: 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2l Cam Tune

Tuner in Training

2017 GMC Sierra 6.2l Cam Tune

Had a cam install done and the shop gave me my truck back stalling and refusing to start at times. I got it to stay running and not stalling by editing the idle tables. I am including the original tune file pulled when i got it back from the shop and the new one I am running now with my idle changes.

I think the VVE tables are messed up because it is still running rough and has hesitation on accel.

cam specs:

25-TSPL83TR-2-32 - Texas Speed & Performance Gen
    5 L83 5.3L Stage 2 Camshaft w/ +32% Fuel Lobe:
    218/226, .635"/.635", 113 LSA, 109 ICL

please let me know if you see any glaring issues.

also included an idle log.

2017GMCSierra62-fromshop.hpt
    2017GMCSierra62-mychanges.hpt
    rollingidle01.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I'm just learning too but i have the same cam and same engine in my 2014 sierra. I can't pull it up at work but I'll try and take a look at it later.

You can take a look at my tune on this page. WOT throttle tuning was done here but the truck was running good with no hesitation or anything like your going through.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...about-PE/page2

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonblarc7 View Post
    I'm just learning too but i have the same cam and same engine in my 2014 sierra. I can't pull it up at work but I'll try and take a look at it later.

You can take a look at my tune on this page. WOT throttle tuning was done here but the truck was running good with no hesitation or anything like your going through.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...about-PE/page2
    Just making notes on some differences

-idle speed reserve table is pretty close to stock on your truck. I've heard two different places that lowering it by 20% when you install a bigger cam is the way to go. due to the cam being inefficient down @ idle and needing less air. I know it helped my truck from not starting and stalling. tuner at shop did the opposite and raised them by 20-30%. Pretty sure it also helped because my MAF/VVE needs to be tuned properly.

-how I edited my idle torque limit/external load table was by inputting the value of 50 at target RPM and extrapolate up and down.

-one of the biggest reasons my truck was stalling was the rolling idle tables were untouched from stock it was allowing a dip to 585rpm@0mph.

-What is a good target RPM for this cam? I see you chose 735. I was aiming for 700 but I think a little higher were you are at is better.
    Last edited by Wildlyfe200; 04-15-2021 at 11:29 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I've had the idle rpm all over the place for 680 to 820 and found higher is better. I had it down at 735 trying to get it to chop more. But I ended up play with the under over speed tables to get it to chop pretty good. Right now I have the idle base set point at 780 and really like it there.

And my rolling speed Rpms are 820 in the first couple colums in first and reverse.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonblarc7 View Post
    I've had the idle rpm all over the place for 680 to 820 and found higher is better. I had it down at 735 trying to get it to chop more. But I ended up play with the under over speed tables to get it to chop pretty good. Right now I have the idle base set point at 780 and really like it there.

And my rolling speed Rpms are 820 in the first couple colums in first and reverse.
    I am making sure i don't go below 700 for now. Defiantly interested in some more chop but for now tryin to get a decent MAF tune. I am vey lean at idle and all over.

This is in forced closed loop.

Screenshot (60).png
    Last edited by Wildlyfe200; 04-15-2021 at 07:14 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Use your STFT with your O2's or STFT+LTFT to tune your idle and just cruzing around fuel trims. I saw you other post about wideband. When i started tune this truck I used the Wideband to do the part throttle tuning and it would never line out each time I made a change.

It wasn't until I did all of my tuning out of PE using the O2 sensors. Then I did some short WOT only logins using the wideband. Then all my fuel trims started to fall in place.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll show you what I did for some more chop.