Thread: Handheld flashers, a discussion that needs to be brought up.

Tuner in Training

Handheld flashers, a discussion that needs to be brought up.

As we know the ngauge is no longer a thing.... Honestly I wasn't a big fan of the ngauge because of it's lack of having monitors missing from vcm scanner (lack of OS based pid definition) Sure it had generic parameters like knock retard
    but did not have the parameter definitions offered in vcm scanner.

I see the RTD tool, but for the price imo I don't see the benefit over MPIV2. Now I don't want to go down that rabbit hole so I'm going to get to the point.

Why is there no android based flashing/datalogging? The parameter definitions for the cars are already mapped by OS, the MPIV2 uses bluetooth already and the phone can connect to it to use "track addict".

I'm not saying there needs to be a full vcm suite or vcm scanner. I'd just like a very basic app where in my "tuner" vcm suite I can export a file that is specifically designed to be flashed by this app and cannot be opened in vcm suite by the end user (encrypted file).
    and I can send them a datalog config (perhaps the save file of gauges from vcm scanner?) and the customer using this very basic app can "crank relearn, kam reset, flash, return to stock (app backs up stock file), and datalog from a config file that I send them"

I feel like this tool would vastly improve the remote tuning experience on hptuners as well as giving my customers the ability to flash other maps with out a laptop. This also allows remote tuners to protect their intellectual property as the exported vcm suite file designed to be flashed by the app cannot be opened in vcm suite.

Advanced Tuner
    There are different types of bluetooth protocols with different kinds of bandwidth limitations. The experts would have to comment on it but my suspicion is the v2 is bluetooth LE. This would be because iOS support for bluetooth devices cannot come about unless you're either bluetooth LE OR you pay Apple tons of money to get their MFI chip (and be approved by them). Assuming this is the case, I doubt bluetooth LE could be used for much more than a "remote control" interface because of its data transfer limits, meaning logging and flashing on any device isn't feasible.

Having said that, seeing as remote flashing is already possible with the RFD, maybe bluetooth remote-controlled flashing isn't impossible (or even too far off the horizon).