Thread: 6L45 tranmission replacement

Potential Tuner

Exclamation 6L45 tranmission replacement

Hi everyone,

Ive got a 2016 VF Commodore SV6 (Camaro v6 equivalent) with a 6l45 auto tranmission in it. Fairly recently, I had accidently blew the tranmission up.... no drive or reverse. I bought another 6l45 (4aga) gearbox which happens to be the correct one for the car. I have been told that the newish box would have to be coded/programmed/married to the main ECU of the car in order for the new trans to work properly... How do you go about doing that?

You could flash the TCM with a GM tool with the operating system for your VIN so that both the PCM and TCM match again.

I've never tried it but I don't know if HP Tuner would let you write entire your file over the TCM and make that work.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    HPT does not have this capability. The TCM needs flashed by the dealership or a manufacturer type scan tool.

FYI, if the dealer does a re-flash, they almost always re-flash the ECU as well (factory settings), so be prepared to have to re-write your custom tune into the ECU before it will run correctly again. It?s not quite as short as ?write file? either, because they change the OS# when they flash it