Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-up Ranger 2.3 tuning results?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I don’t know what the vid config is, but all of them use the same value. If it were me, I would increase the entire row the same amount.
    Thank you sir!

Advanced Tuner
    Does the ranger have a sport shift button? If so, you could apply shift character 2 to sport shifts.

Tuner
    It has a Sport Mode - by clicking down from Drive to Sport.

From looking at the maps, it defintely has pedal characteristics for acc pedal (think pedal commander), and quickly looking at the shifiting schedule it has an upshift, downshift, and coastdown for all the different modes (i have a lariat tremor so it has the terrain modes too it seems in here)

Advanced Tuner
    I think the ranger only uses shift character 0 and 2, and 2 is only used in 4L. Might be worth trying out 2 in sport mode.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    But isn't the torque model based on the VE Modeling for the engine/turbos as-is? If you're trying to push it to an air load higher than it supports, then it doesn't seem to make sense unless you are somehow changing something in the VE (like bigger displacement, bigger turbos, etc...)

I experimented with the torque/inverse torque tables with the 3.5 in the SHO and I was able to raise the boost quite a bit but otherwise didn't seem to do anything. I had the opportunity to look at a vendor's tune and noticed they tweaked the torque/inverse torque tables as well but for the MP's associated with WOT operation for that particular engine - the changes to those tables basically raised the load values in the inverse torque table.
    VE would be handled by the speed density quadratic equations, the torque model just correlates a torque number to load and vice versa.

Maybe the V6 software does it differently? It wouldn't be the first time. lol
    All I know is that I hit a hard wall at 2.4 air load and after extending out the TTL and LTT tables, I was able to consistency get a load of 2.6

Tuner
    Ah i see - just went into the characteristics table... what exactly does this do? you are right - they are all 0 except for 4x4L is 2.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbelar21 View Post
    Ah i see - just went into the characteristics table... what exactly does this do? you are right - they are all 0 except for 4x4L is 2.
    Typically the higher shift characters are more aggressive, faster shifts.

Tuner
    Welp - just playing with power enrichment, torque truncation on trans, upping the Max Torque limits to accept the stock table numbers WOT, and working with the LSPI limits - she moves for sure.

boost seemed to be limited to around 10-16psi stock, now have it around 16-19 in a linear fashion. Feels phenomenal and I didnt even up Driver Demand, add spark, etc yet.

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    But isn't the torque model based on the VE Modeling for the engine/turbos as-is? If you're trying to push it to an air load higher than it supports, then it doesn't seem to make sense unless you are somehow changing something in the VE (like bigger displacement, bigger turbos, etc...)

I experimented with the torque/inverse torque tables with the 3.5 in the SHO and I was able to raise the boost quite a bit but otherwise didn't seem to do anything. I had the opportunity to look at a vendor's tune and noticed they tweaked the torque/inverse torque tables as well but for the MP's associated with WOT operation for that particular engine - the changes to those tables basically raised the load values in the inverse torque table.
    It just depends. I know on my 2018 f150 I had to mess with it slightly in a couple places because I wanted more part throttle load. It would throw a wrench quick as hell just cruising down the interstate and hit a certain hill. I also used it to smooth out spikes in the boost on shift. It was pretty easy to compare what the raptors had going on and see what limits and loads I was hitting.

Now I was being a little on the aggressive side but hey its mine.

Tuner
    Has anyone noticed some Knock Retard at light to medium throttle? I'm assuming it's LSPI, but just wanted to check how frequent I should be seeing this.

When I go WOT I have 0 knock on 93 octane. I'm assuming this is because of the enrichment of the fuel... but how common is this on these engines?
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 11-27-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    How much knock? I typically see 1.5 to 2 degrees on a few cylinders while it's learning, that's pretty typical.
    If you're seeing more than 4, I'd be a bit concerned.

Tuner
    looks to be about 1-2.5 in high gears dipping in a bit.

highest it got was 3.3, only once but still.

edit - another thing to note is that i havent touched or added any more driver demand / messed with limits in that low of the rpm range - this seems stock.
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 11-27-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn't worry too much about that, I would just let the factory knock learn do it's thing.

Tuner
    I feel much better after logging all the cyls and everything else knock related - turns out the "Knock Retard" Param seems to be counteracting the cyl timing advance - which is fine with me for stock.

I actually am not getting legit knock - and the monitor that says knock detetected, along with the individual knock in cylinders is No / 0.

One thing you can do is monitor total ign timing, if under a hard pull you only see it dip down to around 5 to 6 degrees, your good.

Tuner
    any input from anyone on the Pedal Ratio Map - for automatics? I noticed that technically this is removing or adding a percetage of torque based on OSS.

any issue with setting this all to 1 to just make sure its pulling from the driver demand table?

Advanced Tuner
    I wouldn’t hesitate to try that. That table just makes the car accelerate with less pedal input as speed rises. It partially offsets the loss in mechanical advantage as you go up through the gears.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    I wouldn’t hesitate to try that. That table just makes the car accelerate with less pedal input as speed rises. It partially offsets the loss in mechanical advantage as you go up through the gears.
    I think i might try this atleast at the top, and the bottom. Seems like i could be overboosting pretty high and hitting limits.

Advanced Tuner
    I’d have to look at the table but I think at wot it just goes to 1.0. There isn’t anything higher than 100% pedal.

Advanced Tuner
    Stock runs up to 175%, does this map also multiply DD?
    Seems unlikely, since 75% over stock torque demand would be pretty high, no that limits wouldn't stop it really. But DD is set pretty low IMO too.