Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-up Ranger 2.3 tuning results?

Advanced Tuner
    Ok I missed that in the log. I “ass”umed that at 2.0 load you were at wot. So what’s the load go to at wot? 2.0 seems high at <50% pedal, especially with the tables not defined past 2.0 load.

I can help with the shift points and such. I’ve spent a lot of time working on that on mine. The mach1 shift points are very aggressive vs trucks and even the regular GT, so I’ve been learning from it.

Tuner
    Turns out I also "ass"umed that setting the max torque tables a little higher wouldnt impact the truck in anyway. While i havent touched really anything under 2.5k - I did update the 2k RPM max torque area, and I am wondering if, because the truck isnt limited to a certain degree, its pushing itself a bit further and requesting more torque than previously limited. Or that the driver demand table is actually asking for something unrealstic and was previously limited by this table (if that makes sense).

Long story short - i wonder if that is what was pushing my load up. I might also test with a stock map thrown back on and see if i repeat it.

Outside of that, I just filled up with some Shell 93 (had been using Wawa the past time so i wonder if it was just meh 93).

Advanced Tuner
    You should be able to follow the Ford logic to determine load request.

Start at the pedal translation, then driver demand, then torque to load for the appropriate mapped point.

Have you messed with shift character?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    You should be able to follow the Ford logic to determine load request.

Start at the pedal translation, then driver demand, then torque to load for the appropriate mapped point.

Have you messed with shift character?
    Not yet - the shift character is confusing me a bit. It says max character is 1 but then in the actual tables it has 2 for the 4x4l, like was talked about a while back.

Where are these characters defined - are they even?

shift character.JPG

Advanced Tuner
    I noticed that too on the max shift character. Does it shift noticeably different in 4x4L, like firmer or more violent shifts?

The shift characters are called base, alt1, and alt2 throughout the transmission calibration. I checked and alt2 is defined but looks pretty different than my alt 2 (mustang drag mode).

Tuner
    havent even thrown her in 4l yet. only 4x4 once haha. Where is the alt2? i only see like cooling red 2 and 3. dont see alt2 anywhere in my map (could be blind)

Advanced Tuner
    The shift character table you opened assigns the shift character to each drive mode. The characters are created by the transmission shift data like torque ramp rates, ramp times, torque management, etc.

Tuner
    The shift character table you opened assigns the shift character to each drive mode. The characters are created by the transmission shift data like torque ramp rates, ramp times, torque management, etc.
    OH i see.

Tuner
    I just can't wrap my head around why Ford would be okay with this Pre-ignition.

Its very obviously only in high gear situations (i have even tested the stock tune itself). Have you guys noticed this even in other engines like the 2.7? I get that its a phenomenon we can't always predict, but I'd really like this truck to last a long time.

My WOT pulls dont have any issues - so my next idea is to mess with the boarderline tables and knock timing back some in that area...

Advanced Tuner
    Is it preignition or knock? Those are 2 different tables. Do you have a log of it?

Did you ever figure out why the load was going to 2.0+ at 20% throttle? What is the load at wot?

Tuner
    I defintely figured out the excessive load, like i said above - it is because i had updated the max torque values around that range and it seems to have moved that limit. (really thats the only thing i touched without thinking about, but even then it was only around like 2k rpm, must be interpolating i suppose)

load around 30% throttle should be 1.0-1.2, WOT i am seeing about 2.27 load.

I will still see this issue anywhere between 0.6 and 1.2 load in 9th or 10th gear and it seems fairly random. see attached for a pretty long log.

It will be adding timing in some of the same spots in other areas so I'm just not sure whats going on here - that is why i am assuming LSPI.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 12-15-2021 at 09:21 AM.

Tuner
    Also - the "Knock Detected" PID is always no, not sure if that actually is used or not with this logic

Advanced Tuner
    Knock detected only works if it happens to scan the data at the time of knock. I don’t use it.

Advanced Tuner
    You might try pulling knock retard data for each individual cylinder. That could offer insight as well.

Tuner
    Thanks.

In terms of shifting schedules. Can you have your downshift higher than your upshift? seems counter intuative and might make it shift loop lmao. Any insight on that?

Advanced Tuner
    I’m not sure how it handles that.

The mach1 shift schedule is the latest, highest-performance 10r80 schedule Ford implemented. It has the downshifts at 90-95% of the upshift values.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbelar21 View Post
    I defintely figured out the excessive load, like i said above - it is because i had updated the max torque values around that range and it seems to have moved that limit. (really thats the only thing i touched without thinking about, but even then it was only around like 2k rpm, must be interpolating i suppose)
    What are you calling "max torque values"? The driver demand?

Tread lightly because the spark tables aren't defined past 2.0 load so it won't ramp timing down as load exceeds 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Rbelar21 View Post
    I will still see this issue anywhere between 0.6 and 1.2 load in 9th or 10th gear and it seems fairly random. see attached for a pretty long log.

It will be adding timing in some of the same spots in other areas so I'm just not sure whats going on here - that is why i am assuming LSPI.
    I reviewed your log and your knock retard curve looks like it's working as it should. It's making a saw tooth pattern where it advances until it sees knock, retards, and so on. It does this nearly the entire log. I'd like to see how actual timing compares to MBT. If you're trying to optimize timing, then I would definitely log MBT, Borderline, and Timing on one graph. It's a little surprising that you can't reach MBT at those light loads at cruise.

Tuner
    What are you calling "max torque values"? The driver demand?

Tread lightly because the spark tables aren't defined past 2.0 load so it won't ramp timing down as load exceeds 2.0.

I reviewed your log and your knock retard curve looks like it's working as it should. It's making a saw tooth pattern where it advances until it sees knock, retards, and so on. It does this nearly the entire log. I'd like to see how actual timing compares to MBT. If you're trying to optimize timing, then I would definitely log MBT, Borderline, and Timing on one graph. It's a little surprising that you can't reach MBT at those light loads at cruise.
    Yeah its doing this on the stock tune at this point - not anyhting i had done it seems. I have done nothing with timing, mostly just dont want to see this hahaha. From the subaru world - any knock is bad - and from what i remember it would learn knock for load levels..

Remember i legit havent touched anything here at all now - that was a stock tune. Is this normal ford logic where it touches knock almost all the time?

Tuner
    Anyone know why there are more mapped points in the timing tables for the ranger? looks like this 2.3 is similar in terms of tables avaialble to a 2.7 than it is to a Focus RS 2.3

The main reason i am asking this is because i want to raise the combustion stability limit, however i notice there are tables in the BKT (and MBT for that matter) that are 15 across the board. Id like to ride the BKT tables like engineermike mentioned (and i have read in other areas), but that 15 is scaring me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Go to airflow-variable camshaft-mapped points and see which points are active. I bet the ones that are all 15 are inactive.