Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019-up Ranger 2.3 tuning results?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Go to airflow-variable camshaft-mapped points and see which points are active. I bet the ones that are all 15 are inactive.
    as per usual - you the man.

Another question (am i getting annoying yet?) - I started to get a bunch of exhaust protection limits a few revisions ago. Driver Demand - Exhaust Temp Control; Torque Air Limit, Torque max source, etc.

I had disabled exhaust manifold protection - even upping the enable / disable, and i even maxed out the exhaust->exhaust flange temp->flance temp inv as per some other docs i had read.

Still hitting them. Am i missing something somewhere or is this also coming from the Catalyst Protection and O2 sensor protection?

Advanced Tuner
    Careful not to confuse things like "Torque max source" vs "Torque source". I believe the max source is simply the next one it would hit, not the one it's hitting. I don't even log "max sources", just the sources. Post up a log and I'll take a look.

Tuner
    That makes sense. See attached.

I also have a wildly random Lean Spot to Stoich that i just saw today on this pull which is my next question. Even with the stock logs i have seen a little bump higher than what i am requesting then it goes right back to what i am requesting - This one is just a perfect spike.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    I see it. I don't know what's causing it off-hand, but if I would put the fuel source and lambda on the highest data rate possible and delete most of those PIDs off your list to speed up logging of the relevant data. Airlimit source and max sources can all come off, as well as baro, inferred octane, charge air temp, and others. When diagnosing a problem that happens so fast, you need dense data. I would add "commanded" lambda to the list, though, also on a high data rate.

Another note is that you're hitting the cylinder pressure spark limit. That's an easy one to get around if you so choose.

Tuner
    I see it. I don't know what's causing it off-hand, but if I would put the fuel source and lambda on the highest data rate possible and delete most of those PIDs off your list to speed up logging of the relevant data. Airlimit source and max sources can all come off, as well as baro, inferred octane, charge air temp, and others. When diagnosing a problem that happens so fast, you need dense data. I would add "commanded" lambda to the list, though, also on a high data rate.

Another note is that you're hitting the cylinder pressure spark limit. That's an easy one to get around if you so choose.
    Any idea on the exhaust temp?

I'll remove some of the fluff for sure. Spark limit is as easy as just upping the Cyl Pressure Spark table correct? Then id be riding the borderline tables like we talked about, right?

The truck is making the power i want / like, i mostly just want to make sure the fueling is proper - is there anything wrong with what you are seeing outside of that?

Advanced Tuner
    I don't see the exhaust temp stuff as being an issue at this time because they are max's and limits that aren't actually active. Torque source is driver demand and fuel source is power enrichment, so the exhaust temps aren't affecting anything.

On the spark source, yes you should be able to simply increase the cylinder pressure spark limit table.

Outside of that, the log looks really good.

One other thing that I've heard about but haven't looked into much is that some have figured out how to get the throttle and wastegate to both open more, which yields more power due to reduced pumping loss. My understanding is that to control load/boost Ford runs the wastegate more (or all the way) closed and modulates the throttle. You can use WOT start and end to force the throttle open, but the wastegate by itself doesn't do as good a job controlling boost due to response time. I don't know what they are doing to move control more to the wastegate and less to the throttle but it might be worth looking into.

Advanced Tuner
    Mostly modifying the wastegate base duty cycle.
    In my testing it appears that the wastegate tends to run over on boost target then the throttle reels it in, so if you change the base DC so the wastegate targets less boost, it will keep the throttle open more.
    The problem is that you'll lose quite a bit of response and will probably leave it feeling sluggish.
    So maybe modify it and get a better balance of wastegate vs throttle is the ticket, but I wouldn't go nuts trying to fight to keep it open all the time, it's a loosing battle and not much to show in terms of power gain.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    Mostly modifying the wastegate base duty cycle.
    In my testing it appears that the wastegate tends to run over on boost target then the throttle reels it in, so if you change the base DC so the wastegate targets less boost, it will keep the throttle open more.
    The problem is that you'll lose quite a bit of response and will probably leave it feeling sluggish.
    So maybe modify it and get a better balance of wastegate vs throttle is the ticket, but I wouldn't go nuts trying to fight to keep it open all the time, it's a loosing battle and not much to show in terms of power gain.
    any idea on the random lean spike?

Advanced Tuner
    Can't view the log right now, but it could be lambda torque reduction.
    If it's just trimming back to stoich briefly, I wouldn't worry a lot about it, because of direct injection, it can deal with fairly lean conditions without causing damage.
    It has no issues running stoich at 23psi if it really wants, when the combustion model says temps are getting too high from that, it will enrich.

Tuner
    Any idea on how the borderline correction tables work? I notice it says that table would be multipled by the Knock Ocatane Modifier - but if it is at 1, and this is at negative, it seems as though its TAKING away timing. wouldnt that work against the logic? We would want it to add to the borderline tables as the modifier grows, no?

Essentially i feel as though working with these tables might be beneficial instead of modifying straight up every single one of the borderline tables - Now that the modifier is at 1, i am seeing some knock at full throttle. but when it was at .5 i was getting phenomenal power and smoothness.

tldr- i upped the cyl pressure so that it used borderline, but as knock modifier grew, the timing obviously seems to have gone up and is starting to knock at WOT (to much timing)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rbelar21 View Post
    Any idea on how the borderline correction tables work? I notice it says that table would be multipled by the Knock Ocatane Modifier - but if it is at 1, and this is at negative, it seems as though its TAKING away timing. wouldnt that work against the logic? We would want it to add to the borderline tables as the modifier grows, no?

Essentially i feel as though working with these tables might be beneficial instead of modifying straight up every single one of the borderline tables - Now that the modifier is at 1, i am seeing some knock at full throttle. but when it was at .5 i was getting phenomenal power and smoothness.

tldr- i upped the cyl pressure so that it used borderline, but as knock modifier grew, the timing obviously seems to have gone up and is starting to knock at WOT (to much timing)

I use MBT as the max limit for spark to make the most power as determined by Ford, so I try to stay below MBT.

The octane modifier aka Octane Adjust Ratio goes from -1 to +1. You want it as close to -1 as possible. So when you multiply the OAR of -1 against the correction table that is also negative, that becomes positive and gets added to Borderline. On my N/A 2018 Explorer 3.5 V6, the OAR hovers around -0.08 to 0 with 87 octane fuel and goes to -1 with 93 octane fuel. On my 2.7 EcoBoost, the OAR stays pegged at -1 with either 93 octane, E30, or full E85. I rarely use 87 octane with that tune/engine but I found an old log and it was -0.25 with 87 octane. Don't be like Youtubers and start posting OAR's with different gas station gases that differ by 0.01! haha

The PCM looks at BKT and MBT and uses whichever is lower after accounting for the adders/modifiers, etc... This oversimplifies it and there are a bunch of internet keyboard commandos who will disagree, but this seems to be the case for the past 20+ years tuning Fords in my experience.

I'd recommend adding to the borderline tables for the mapped points at WOT and only for the WOT regions (RPM/Load/etc) incrementally for the fuel you intend to use. The 2.7 is the odd ball since its MBT is fairly low relatively speaking. So when you start to add a bunch to BKT or the Borderline Correction / Knock Correction tables, it can easily exceed MBT and then the PCM starts to use MBT which may be relatively low compared to other MBT/engine tables, but is still quite high.

If you want the most power out of a GTDI engine, you need to play with E30-E50 which is like 105-110+ octane effective due to the evaporative charge cooling from DI and alcohol.
    Last edited by metroplex; 12-27-2021 at 09:38 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I use MBT as the max limit for spark to make the most power as determined by Ford, so I try to stay below MBT.

The octane modifier aka Octane Adjust Ratio goes from -1 to +1. You want it as close to -1 as possible. So when you multiply the OAR of -1 against the correction table that is also negative, that becomes positive and gets added to Borderline.

The PCM looks at BKT and MBT and uses whichever is lower after accounting for the adders/modifiers, etc...

I'd recommend adding to the borderline tables for the mapped points at WOT and only for the WOT regions (RPM/Load/etc) incrementally for the fuel you intend to use.

If you want the most power out of a GTDI engine, you need to play with E30-E50 which is like 105-110+ octane effective due to the evaporative charge cooling from DI and alcohol.
    Hey Metro. The ranger utilizes Knock Octane Modifier - which in this case we actually want positive, not negative like the older OAR. That is what is confusing me with this table.

I also can deduct this because the LSPI->Hi table is referenced when the Blend factor is +1, Lo is -1, and nominal is 0.

Edit - And yes my WRX LOVED e30 too so id love to start looking at that if i could find some haha.
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 12-27-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Hey Metro. The ranger utilizes Knock Octane Modifier - which in this case we actually want positive, not negative like the older OAR. That is what is confusing me with this table.

I also can deduct this because the LSPI->Hi table is referenced when the Blend factor is +1, Lo is -1, and nominal is 0.

Edit - And yes my WRX LOVED e30 too so id love to start looking at that if i could find some haha.
    Well, OAR is the PID you monitor but it is still the Knock Octane Modifier. The 3.5/2.7 uses the same values. Same thing. You want it at -1 or as close as possible.

Borderline Octane Adjustment is all negative values, and this gets multiplied by whatever your octane modifier is at, then gets added to Borderline.

Say OAR is -1 and Octane Adjustment is -4, then +4 degrees gets added to your Borderline value. I can see this happening when I log Final Spark Advance, BKT, MBT, and Knock Correction. The 2.7 was giving me issues running at MBT all the time at WOT and I figured out it was the Borderline Octane Adjustment. I made it too negative in certain regions and because MBT was fairly low (relatively speaking) it was use MBT.
    Last edited by metroplex; 12-27-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    Well, OAR is the PID you monitor but it is still the Knock Octane Modifier. The 3.5/2.7 uses the same values. Same thing. You want it at -1 or as close as possible.

Borderline Octane Adjustment is all negative values, and this gets multiplied by whatever your octane modifier is at, then gets added to Borderline.

Say OAR is -1 and Octane Adjustment is -4, then +4 degrees gets added to your Borderline value. I can see this happening when I log Final Spark Advance, BKT, MBT, and Knock Correction. The 2.7 was giving me issues running at MBT all the time at WOT and I figured out it was the Borderline Octane Adjustment. I made it too negative in certain regions and because MBT was fairly low (relatively speaking) it was use MBT.
    Understood - i just looked up and saw the firmware update someone posted, so really that table would be mutlipled on the OAR number itself then, not KOM

Advanced Tuner
    Hey Metroplex, have you ever run across one that adds more knock advance than the max advance table allows, even if the max knock advance table is fully populated with all 0’s?

Hey Metroplex, have you ever run across one that adds more knock advance than the max advance table allows, even if the max knock advance table is fully populated with all 0’s?
    Not sure. I do know the OAR/Octane modifier is not the same as knock advance, where the PCM can add more spark if there's no knock detected. I've tweaked mine to add more spark than normal because I can switch between 87 and 93 octane as well as flex fuel.

The main tables are the BKT and MBT. Everything else is an adder/modifier to the respective BKT and MBT tables. The PCM just uses whichever value is lower. If there's knock correction that gets added/subtracted to whatever table it was using. So that's why I log Final Spark Advance, BKT, MBT, and Knock Correction. That way I can see what's going on with some simple math.

Understood - i just looked up and saw the firmware update someone posted, so really that table would be mutlipled on the OAR number itself then, not KOM
    Not sure what the firmware update was for, but OAR/Knock Octane Modifier has always really been -1 to +1, where the best case is -1 (use of high octane fuel) and that is multiplied by the BKT Octane Adjustment (which happens to be all negative).

Tuner
    Sorry - turns out that was on Cobb, but still seems to be the same here in the 2.3 ECU. (for reference post #6 - https://www.mustangecoboost.net/thre...now-kom.20011/)

In the attached pictures you will see that i am logging KOM - there is no Octane Adjustment Ratio (or OAR) to log in the channels. whether that is because the PID itself is OAR and then just the inverse i have no idea.

However, it seems as though that Borderline->OctaneAdjustment Table IS going off of OAR. as i tested just now and added 2 degrees to the adjustment table (going from -4 to -2, -3 to -1, etc) and the final timing went down. This is where my confusion was previously - but i am seeing it happen in real time so it does seem as though that hypothesis is correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 12-27-2021 at 12:35 PM.

Ok same thing. I guess I labeled it as OAR on my histograms but am logging Knock Octane Modifier. The lowest it goes is still -1.00 and that gets multiplied by the borderline octane adjust table and added to BKT.

So your final timing went down after you lowered the adjustment table? Sounds about right.

Tuner
    well - i can now confidently say i am very happy with my setup!

little truck rips for what it is. I would like to get a 0-60 at some point so i have to figure out the best way to accomplish that.

How much airmass is it flowing at WOT?