Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019-up Ranger 2.3 tuning results?

Advanced Tuner
    I’ve found the vehicle speed and vcmscanner clock very useful for timed acceleration. Just be sure to put it on a fast data rate and minimize pid’s.

Just be aware the vehicle speed PID isn't always going to be accurate as actual speed. So 0-60 mph according to VCM Scanner might actually be 58 mph or 62 mph.

Tuner
    Well I blew the doors off my friends F150 2.7TT XLT so that felt good haha. Figured I'd update that everything is so far so good!

Good job! How much air mass are you flowing now?

Tuner
    Are you looking for Air Load or Mass Flow Rate? I only have Air Load on my Logs.

Air mass / mass flow. You should log that, probably one of the more important channels/PIDs to log. Even though EcoBoost is mostly speed density, it still calculates air mass/mass flow fairly precisely. Without knowing your pressure ratio or boost levels, I'm going to guess it is between 35-42 lb/min.

Tuner
    I'll add it to the list and get back to you - dont have the odb2 with me at the office so i will have to get it tomorrow. Boost level WOT usually sits at 22lb pretty level.

I'm guessing maybe 40-45 lb/min. I don't have the specifics on that turbo but I do know it is not the same turbo on the Mustang or Explorer, and is a bit bigger.

Tuner
    38 Lb/Min @ 5.5k rpm (21.5ish PSI)

I am noticing that I am hitting Turbo FMEM in my driver demand limit source - is this just a limit or am i actually hitting the limits of the turbo?
    I feel like i cant be hitting the limits of the turbo as others are saying their hitting 23 psi in the ranger.

I'm not chasing boost numbers, i am fulling subscribed to the torque model, but i feel like i should be able to safetly squeeze a bit more out of it up top.

Is it closing the throttle plate when you get to that level of boost and air mass flow? Can you try to lower the boost to say 18-19 psi and see if you get more mass flow? The goal is to get more mass flow and not necessarily the highest boost possible. That being said, 38 lb/min from that single turbo is pretty badass. That's almost like the turbos they use on the Ford GT ( a pair of them). In comparison the twin-turbos on the EcoBoost V6s generally max out at 20-30 lb/min each (~30 for the 3.5 HO and 3.0 EcoBoost)

The Turbo FMEM pops up from what I have seen on the majority of the tunes made by tuners. From my understanding, it indicates the turbo has exceeded the modeled efficiency and compressor/turbine speed limits. That said, I usually don't see the throttle plate closing or spark being reduced when this occurs, the WGDC doesn't necessarily change either.

The Ranger's 2.3 turbo is a bit bigger than the other 2.3 turbos as well as the twin-turbo setups on the V6s, so with a bigger compressor exducer the designed velocity limits that seem typical of all turbos, yields a slower compressor speed limit.
    Last edited by metroplex; 02-17-2022 at 09:02 AM.

Tuner
    Let me try to get a snip of the WOT pull for you - I'll attach here. It is closing the throttle plate once I hit that.

So really, from what I see and understand - my next step to more power (limited to 93 octante), would be stepping up timing to knock then. This little thing pulls, so I don't want to stress it, but that seems to be my next option if I want to pull more out of it.

I did remove the borderline octane adjustment, allowed for more dynamic advance, upped the torque demand, and hit where I am at now. So my plan is to add to the borderline tables based off of my weighted areas to perfect it, and err on the side of caution.

The log is really just an on ramp mash and I didnt have it in manual mode so its not a full gear pull. (dont mind all of the PIDs, like i said i am starting to look into my boarderline tables individually)

ruby_WOT.hpl

Does the Ranger normally shift at that RPM (5600ish)?

Tuner
    WOT stock is about 5,650. I upped it to 5750. I know one guy cranked it to like 6k+ but idk how I feel about pushing the turbo that far - it looks like it has the breath, but im not quite there yet.

Althought now you say that - i am noticing it looks like 5650... and its not going to what i set it to.
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 02-17-2022 at 10:16 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Stock turbo on the mustang falls off pretty hard around there too, just blowing hot air.

Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    Stock turbo on the mustang falls off pretty hard around there too, just blowing hot air.
    Good to know! Corresponds with the Mustang compressor map. The Ranger's 2.3 compressor map is a bit different (efficiency islands) so I figured it could flow more. One more thing to try is lower the boost to about 18.5 psi to 19 psi and see if it flows more. Worst case is you go back to your current settings.

Tuner
    Metro (or anyone else) - how exactly do I target or limit boost?

Right now I am only going off of Requested Torque essentially for "finding" my boost targets. If i was to bring boost down a bit to say - 18 like you said to get similar or potentially better flow... i could theoretically bring timing up and see safe power from there. I currently have reduced timing (really just removed from the added border line tables and upped the allowed dynamic advance to be a bit higher to see where it sits) and targeted higher torque numbers.

While personally Id rather use boost than timing... Im not hitting peak boost at lower RPMs (which seems to make sense as the turbo does seem bigger). Essentially Id like to hit the right balance.

Regardless, the boost holds REALLY well from 3/3.5k on, id like to use timing to make the torque at 2.5-3.5 and ride out the boost while tapering timing out from there (similar to the method i used on my WRX). Consistency is what i am aiming for in the long run, does this logic still hold true with the ford ecus?

Tuner
    bump - Might try it out shortly.

Advanced Tuner
    I think Ford had it right, in that load is a more consistent and relevant means to control the engine than boost.

Tuner
    Drag strip tomorrow! I will let you all know how the little tremor does.

Tuner
    EDIT - I also noticed that my desired TIP goes down to 35 in 5th gear is there anything cliping this?

So the ranger got herself a 14.25 @ 93.81mph.

This was my goal so I am happy I hit it, however - I am trying to understand why I am not hitting my desired loads at what seems to be in 5th gear.

If anyone has a change to take a look, find the log attached... I can tell the throttle is closing and with that I am not entirely sure either - should I be requesting more torque at higher RPMs? I have done my work on trying to get rid of limiters (atleast i think so)

Long story short - I am extremely happy with this truck and I for sure turned some heads, I just know I might be able to pull a 13.9 out of her where there is 5 full seconds of lower boost in 5th gear...

Ruby_Track.hpl
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 06-12-2022 at 04:09 PM.