Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019-up Ranger 2.3 tuning results?

Anyone have an OEM map they can post? I've got a Ranger on order (for awhile now) and would like to get familiar with it before I have it.

Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...anger-Ecoboost

PsychoSteve posted one further down the line. Let me know if you need any help - coming from Subaru's its been a very fun time learning about ford's ecosystem. These little things have some balls.

Thank you. I come from most of my customers having Subaru. I've tuned quite a bit of Fords, but older... Mostly old Taurus SHO's. Two of them were on TV shows, of that rings any bells.

Tuner
    Been almost a full year since I took on my Ranger. Thank you all for all of the information you guys have given me.

Hitting the drag strip one more time this month before the end of the season. Only other thing would be for me to get it on a dyno, but otherwise it's driving in everyway I could want it to!

Advanced Tuner
    Great news, Let us know how it goes!

Advanced Tuner
    Ever get back to the drag strip?

Tuner
    Unfortunately I couldn't we ended up having to go to a wake...

Advanced Tuner
    Oh Im sorry to hear that. Well let us know when you do

Tuner
    No worries thanks a ton!

Tuner
    So quick question for those that are still around. When it comes to moving towards E30...

I know that I can update the base Stoich number, or even let the trims handle for it... but when it comes to more power - I start to wonder about boost levels vs Timing..

For instance, since I have learned the Requested Torque method everything has been fine within the power I want to make. However, if i start requesting more and more torque (sans limits) its obvioulsy going to request more and more load (therein boost), not necessarily more timing, unless i give it to it dynamically or via the tables.

So in this case - whats the best method? Boost or Spark? Personally I am not sure I want to go over 23psi, theoretically there could be a point where I am requesting enough that it hits 25 psi. Any Advice?

Advanced Tuner
    Just my theory and it may be out dated. There is more power to be had with increased boost vs timing and its safer. There is a point of diminishing returns always of course. So i try to go up in boost first. Find the limits of what I'm comfortable with or the turbo efficiency limit or intercooler etc. Then if Im still not seeing any knock, Ill increase timing slowly and track the power gains through a dyno or time slips or dyno software.

Like I say, I may be out dated

Advanced Tuner
    I believe reubone is correct that at the same power level it?s safer to run more boost and less timing vs the opposite. The conflicting part is that more boost and less timing becomes increasingly less efficient. Turbos run out of flow capacity and efficiency falls, backpressure builds up, intercooler sheat soak, and you could run out of fuel system. More timing is more efficient and can do more power with less air and cooling, but also it?s more dangerous.

The age old question?

Advanced Tuner
    Ford's control strategy will usually prefer timing over boost, if it can hit the same torque at less boost, it will... But if you're already requesting enough torque to try getting more boost, that kinda gets tossed out the window.

In the past I've preferred boost over timing, but direct injection engines can tolerate more timing before detonation occurs too, so that's something to keep in mind.

When running e30, you probably don't have to do too much to timing from stock, other than maybe increase cylinder pressure limit timing, then just let the system add in timing until it sees knock and backs off.

Tuner
    Thanks all. I?m out in PA for thanksgiving and have good access to corn out here. Seem to have made a nice e30 tune and it feels strong. Upped the cyl pressure timing a bit and limited boost max to about 23.15. Seems to run very strong and is adding timing up to the cyl pressure ceiling nicely with no neg corrections. I?m getting about 8 degrees at WOT and can probably map this a bit more, but it for sure is loving the timing towards higher RPM. It?s very cool to see all of these things work together once you get past the limiters.

Tuner
    How would you all feel about seeing the knock sensors acting like this?

Am I to close to the threshold - and should I pull back a few degrees (i have breathing room from the boarderline adding tables)....

It seems as though positive correction is fine, but I feel like the fact that the cyls are not in sync is showing that some cyls are knocking, even though its not negative. When i run e30/e40 i have all cyls in sync and its running as happily as possible.

12_8_cruise.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    I recall one of your earlier logs doing that as well, maybe even when it was stock. I was very surprised to see Ford running this thing into knock on every cylinder at steady-state cruise. If I am right so far, I guess they're very confident in sensing knock at levels low enough such that they don't cause damage. One thing's for sure, it's one way to improve fuel economy, but man...it's running at 1.3 load and about 8 deg timing at steady cruise. It sure seems like it would be able to sustain 80 mph at less than 1.0 load.

Advanced Tuner
    Not quite 1.5 air load, but it's close... Not in power enrich, no knock, more than 8* timing while actively adding timing.

I mean, isn't that one of the key benefits of DI, run more advance and keep out of knock?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    There was a chance i was hitting a hill in these areas, I live in northern NJ so we have quite a few steep hills, even on route 80 where this was logged from.

Mike, you are correct I see this even with stock map. I really am not comfortable with it, or id rather them all be in sync. One thing I did notice is that it happens in the final gear, so i guess there just might be to much load and it is holding 10th when it shouldnt be.

Advanced Tuner
    Not being in sync is perfectly fine and even a good thing. The per cyl is working exactly as it should.

If it were mine I would cap the knock advance to prevent it. But I have a coyote that runs .35 load and 40 deg timing at cruise.

Tuner
    Ok, i think thats the route i am going to take for now anyway, is drop the dynamic advanced down a bit and get it closer. I guess i just have to get used to the per cyl.