Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019-up Ranger 2.3 tuning results?

Tuner
    Backing the dynamic advanced down and pulling a degree from the borderline octane table definitely put it in an area where i feel comfortable.

Tuner
    Has anyone messed with Per Cyl vs Global timing? I would assume that per cyl is more "efficient" but do we understand how global reacts? does it err on the side of caution and go with lowest / first sign of knock or something else?

Advanced Tuner
    Ive asked this same question. As far as I know it has not been tried

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    Ive asked this same question. As far as I know it has not been tried
    hmmm okay - thanks for the response.

Advanced Tuner
    As far as I can tell when in global, it pulls the same from all when just one cylinder knocks. It works fine if your per cyl borderline corrections are accurate and you have no false knock. It gets more complicated than that though. Look under knock sensors- SDLF averaging. When in per cyl this table determines more about what it does. I don’t fully understand it but when you use 0’s it appears to work like you would expect. If you use 4’s then it appears to report a global number even when per cyl is selected.
    Last edited by engineermike; 12-19-2022 at 12:48 PM.

Tuner
    I think that brings up a good point, and a more technical one at that. If you notice my logs above - regardless of knock mode, is it worth doing cyl compensations to try to get them all the best power possible?

In other words, I am trying to get the most power I can out of the truck safety and efficiently. I notice that it seems a bit choppy at some points and i dont know if that is a product of a small displacement with a turbo on a truck - or if its the timing advancing and retarding on each individual cyl.

Advanced Tuner
    Your cylinders seem to be fairly closely matched at cruise, but I didn't look at WOT per cyl response (don't have vcmscanner with me now). I also didn't like it hitting knock so often. I have mine on per cyl and I have cylinder trims adjusted fter lots of logging. I set mine up to stop short of knock at WOT, but the problem you then face is that the knock threshold goes up and down with octane and humidity. Humidity alone can change it 3 deg and it's surprisingly not accounted for in the tuning. Now I'm stuck running 2-3 deg below the knock threshold when humidity is high. I'm trying to use OAR to account for this but I haven't made much progress so far.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Your cylinders seem to be fairly closely matched at cruise, but I didn't look at WOT per cyl response (don't have vcmscanner with me now). I also didn't like it hitting knock so often. I have mine on per cyl and I have cylinder trims adjusted fter lots of logging. I set mine up to stop short of knock at WOT, but the problem you then face is that the knock threshold goes up and down with octane and humidity. Humidity alone can change it 3 deg and it's surprisingly not accounted for in the tuning. Now I'm stuck running 2-3 deg below the knock threshold when humidity is high. I'm trying to use OAR to account for this but I haven't made much progress so far.
    Yeah its an odd feeling. On one hand I am putting a lot of faith in Ford and can just let the knock happen (and they are way smarter than me obviously), but then on the other hand I really really really don't want it at all (but to your point there are so many variables).

I suppose that is the point of the system, is to account for variables. It sure feels weird seeing it happen, though. So far i am becoming more accustomed to just saying - as long as its not knocking over 3 degrees on any given cyl over 1.2ish load, I am mostly happy...

Then you comment brings my brain to another area, if its not pulling more than 3 degrees its not modifying the OAR, and i suppose i should be happy about that. However, is it okay to knock even 0.5 to 1 degree almost all the time at cruise? As per everyone else's comments, it's doing what is supposed to do by adding then seemingly hitting knock and pulling, but it just feels wild that Ford is okay with adding to knock then starting all over again. Stock i believe its about -3 average then modifies OAR. So i find myself in this big ol circle hahaha.

Regardless I am glad you feel similarly and I am not the only one being a bit obsessive.
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 12-20-2022 at 12:31 PM.

If you had a class restricted race car, this is one way to possibly get over on another car. In this scope, you'll probably not gain anything but lost time.

Tuner
    Anyone have any issues with FMEM Pedal Follower? I have had this come up a few times and it just immediately goes into limp mode. Usually seems to be at higher pedal requests? after restarting truck it?s gone and fine - but it sure slams the throttle closed. In electric throttle pedal follower is disabled by default so I don?t understand why it?s coming up.

Tuner
    Here is the log - it always seems to be when i am going up a hill and there are consistent torque requests. You can see i was cruising and then floored it, the hill is fairly big.

FMEMPedal.hpl

EDIT: As an update. I believe it was the IPC... but i cannot be certain. I up'd the max IPC torque just a hair and it seems to not happen anymore.
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 01-03-2023 at 10:00 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I need tuned file of a broadline
    1- Low octane?
    2- Programming the transmission
    with the hight of tire?
    Anyone has tutorials that help me program this my ST, please help😔
    2020 Ford Explorer 3.0 6V

Tuner
    Hey All,

Hope everyone is well. I have a quick question. I have got load to come up properly at higher RPM and it is feeling very very strong.

However, I am noticing that brake torque is still deviating fairly heavily from what i am expecting. Is this based off of the torque tables? Does it even matter? It feels seat of the pants stronger, but data wise is showing what it normally would - just hitting closer to the 2.4 at higher RPM...

I am limiting spark via cyl pressure limit, I guess that could also be impacting what the computer sees torque wise - but isnt it supposed to balance that out with boost?

Again, it feels very strong, but i do not have a dyno to test on to see if it actually is "faster" unless i hit the drag strip again (which i plan on doing shortly).

I have raised driver demand, i cannot imagine that would be the problem. I can only think it would potentially be the Torque tables limiting me at this point... However (see attached) it seems like interpolated for the mapped point i am at, it would be asking for higher load (or atleast what the "desired" is).

Note: at mid range, the deviation of brake torque to desired is only like 50, towards higher RPM it is closering to 100+ difference.

Any thoughts would be amazing - thanks again all.

Edit: Looks like i was looking at the difference between indicated and brake torque, so it might not be to far off actually... Long story short I am attempting to get brake torque to stay inline with desired brake torque and it seems to start deviating towards the upper RPM limit. Is it because i have some knock return?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rbelar21; 05-18-2023 at 08:31 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Timing shouldn’t affect the deviation because there are correction factors for that. Do your torque tables extend to a high enough load?

Tuner
    They extend to 2.4, yes. Attached is mapped point 0 & 11 which are the highest percentages at this RPM range.

To that point, it seems like it is farily close to the 2.0 load range... but wouldnt it interopolate considering its between 2.0 and 2.4, where actual load of 2.3 is closer to 2.4?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    It will interpolate between cells, yes... But if the load is higher than the engine torque load axis, it will limit to that, it won't automatically extrapolate out beyond the axis.
    In my experience, it will actually limit to a few points below, around 2.35 or so.

Tuner
    Do you mean if i am at 2.32-2.38 like in my log at Higher RPM, it wont be somewhere between 2.0 and 2.4 from the Torque Model and it will be closer to the 2.0?

Do i need more resolution?

Advanced Tuner
    No, it will interpolate between cells and will figure a value somewhere in there... But if your load is 2.38, the torque table load axis is probably what's holding you back.

Tuner
    Meaning the torque model i posted above? or is that a seperate table.

Sorry for my ignorance on this, was trying to get to the max without touching modeling but it seems like if i want more i have to mess with it if that is the case.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, most likely you're at the max the stock torque tables will support, but extending them out isn't too hard:
    https://youtu.be/aT6dGcdprFg
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...f=true&sd=true