Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LNF tuning

Advanced Tuner
    Think of it this way, there is no airflow to pull heat out of the engine bay at idle. Vehicles are designed to pull hot air out when driving. Well, to some level. Hood and fender vents and other things help as well, but that?s not what you were asking about. IAT?s will rise at idle.

Yes you can change timing tables at idle from pulling. You can mess with all of the extras such as ECT and IAT. Most tuners I?ve seen don?t really touch it on a customers car, but they also don?t usually change the idle from stock either. Too much can cause it to have an issue, that the headache isn?t worth it is most likely why.

You can alter the tables just use common sense. I change all of mine, but it?s to meet what I need/want. Even timing and fueling is changed on mine. If you are afraid it might be too much risk, then either don?t touch it or post it here and ask about some of the changes you want to do to get others opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM173 View Post
    Think of it this way, there is no airflow to pull heat out of the engine bay at idle. Vehicles are designed to pull hot air out when driving. Well, to some level. Hood and fender vents and other things help as well, but that?s not what you were asking about. IAT?s will rise at idle.

Yes you can change timing tables at idle from pulling. You can mess with all of the extras such as ECT and IAT. Most tuners I?ve seen don?t really touch it on a customers car, but they also don?t usually change the idle from stock either. Too much can cause it to have an issue, that the headache isn?t worth it is most likely why.

You can alter the tables just use common sense. I change all of mine, but it?s to meet what I need/want. Even timing and fueling is changed on mine. If you are afraid it might be too much risk, then either don?t touch it or post it here and ask about some of the changes you want to do to get others opinions.
    So could I edit the IAT base table to not pull 5 degrees of timing at idle when temps are really high? I see quite a few posts saying the same thing that those with the K&N short ram intake had issues with high temps at idle vs driving. I will keep it as retarding timing if those temps continue to stay high during operation but during idle is what i would want to update.

I changed my histogram to show me the temps per cell and I notice all idle and low speed its running that hot then when I drive it drops to a cooler temp.
    Last edited by SSmile; 07-25-2021 at 11:36 PM.

USDM As Fck

@DaX.Media

Advanced Tuner
    You can always modify the table, as well as modify the values of the columns and rows to match what it is you are trying to accomplish. I forget which tables, but I had some that even with updated columns/rows it wouldn?t actually make the change to the column/rows. I forget now which those were, but I don?t believe it was anything to do with timing. However, just watch it and see if it is or not.

You can always modify the table, as well as modify the values of the columns and rows to match what it is you are trying to accomplish. I forget which tables, but I had some that even with updated columns/rows it wouldn?t actually make the change to the column/rows. I forget now which those were, but I don?t believe it was anything to do with timing. However, just watch it and see if it is or not.
    Sounds good I should be able to load it up on thursday and test it out!

Is it possible to set up histograms of say injection angle and or cams to figure out how to tune them better? I made a few adjustments to my single hom but id like to learn how to do those and my cams more! I am using the remote tune cam tables and injection angle.

USDM As Fck

@DaX.Media

Advanced Tuner
    I never bothered going into detail on the injection table. Not saying there isn?t benefits to it, as I?m sure there really is. I played with the cam tables a lot and you can get some good out of them. Yes you can log it. If I remember correctly there is commanded and actual. Just make sure you know everything about them before getting into it. The limits of them I mean. Then you can play with changes. I think I might have done a write up on cams and fuel injection, so look that up.

Also, when you change the table values (columns and rows), make sure you either change your histograms or expect it to not be exactly the same since it?ll be logging different.

I never bothered going into detail on the injection table. Not saying there isn?t benefits to it, as I?m sure there really is. I played with the cam tables a lot and you can get some good out of them. Yes you can log it. If I remember correctly there is commanded and actual. Just make sure you know everything about them before getting into it. The limits of them I mean. Then you can play with changes. I think I might have done a write up on cams and fuel injection, so look that up.

Also, when you change the table values (columns and rows), make sure you either change your histograms or expect it to not be exactly the same since it?ll be logging different.
    The reason why I ask is because I am not looking to make anymore power but to fix the random KR that comes up. From reading old threads people mentioned: spark being smooth, injector angle being adjusted, and cams adjusted. I have been trying to mess with my spark with no luck and I feel I am doing more harm than good so I have reverted back my main and optimum spark.

USDM As Fck

@DaX.Media

Advanced Tuner
    There are a lot of things that cause KR to show up. It doesn?t mean it?s actual KR.

Things to look for: are you requesting enough timing? Too little and it?ll cause timing issues and cause KR to show. Raising it can actually get rid of it. Also, is it pulling timing? If it should be at 10 but it?s showing 3 KR and showing 7 timing.

Also keep in mind that some sensors have known to have issues. You should also verify they are timed correctly.

Other issues with the vehicle can show up as KR and not be KR.

There are a lot of things that cause KR to show up. It doesn?t mean it?s actual KR.

Things to look for: are you requesting enough timing? Too little and it?ll cause timing issues and cause KR to show. Raising it can actually get rid of it. Also, is it pulling timing? If it should be at 10 but it?s showing 3 KR and showing 7 timing.

Also keep in mind that some sensors have known to have issues. You should also verify they are timed correctly.

Other issues with the vehicle can show up as KR and not be KR.
    I have checked a few logs and it shows no timing being pulled and I know people say "LNF have KR" but I also have read people have fixed their issues via what I mentioned above. I have left my timing stock since when I have played with it I have caused some things to not run as smoothly but I will keep reading and see if I can dig up anything else. I know I have to edit the optimum spark when I change main spark but that too has caused some weird effects which has made me hesitant to edit it more. I will try some spark changes again. I wish the older threads didn't lose their images posted (whoever uploaded to phtobucket and such dont have the images show anymore) so its reading a thread that says "take a look as this table here" and theres nothing to examine.

USDM As Fck

@DaX.Media

Advanced Tuner
    Without seeing your car and tune I have no way of telling you exactly what it is. I would say first start with making sure the sensors are clocked right. If they are, then move on to the tune. Other things can cause it, but yes a good tune can free a lot.

Potential Tuner
    Anyone know who can help with an lnf tune on an e39 stand alone? Car runs poorly and I'm too noob to figure this out.