Thread: Cruze/Sonic 1.4T Injector Alternative for E85 for Daily Driver?

Potential Tuner

Cruze/Sonic 1.4T Injector Alternative for E85 for Daily Driver?

I have a 2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T M6. This car is a daily driver and does not have any performance modifications, nor will it ever get any.

Within a 6 mile radius of where I live, I can go to about 5 different stations to get E85. The cheapest gas station has it at $2.499/gal whereas the cost for 87/89/91 octane are $3.959/$4.159/$4.259 per gallon. Even factoring in the 30% decrease in range, there is a favorable cost per mile by switching to E85. From my quick napkin math, the price where the cost per mile is equal is about $3.569/gal on whatever octane. By filling up a 12.6 gallon tank with 100% E85, that cost is ~$31.50. To completely fill up the tank on 87, the current cost is ~$49.88 with the spread being about $18.38.

After doing some research on using E85 on the 1.4T, it looks like the bare minimum requirements that these engines need are the sensor, pigtail/plug wiring, hose, fuel fittings, and the injectors. The sensor is ~$80, the pigtail is ~$8, and the hose and fittings should be about another $30. As for the injectors, almost everyone upgrades to the Bosch 42.5# Green Giants. These injectors look very similar to the injectors commonly used in the 3800 world. The factory 1.4T injector is rated at 28.2# and the L67 injector is rated at 34.6#. If I go to the junkyard, I can pick up 4 injectors for ~$7 each. After adding up the costs for the sensor, pigtail/plug wiring, hose, fuel fittings, and the injectors, I am looking at an upfront cost of ~$150. Given the spread of what I am saving at the pump and my upfront cost, any fuel used after the next 8.25 fillups should be saving me money before tuning it.

Can I use the L67 injectors for my daily driver? Will the slight increase in flow be enough to handle E85 on a factory engine given my use?
    Last edited by Slipstream; 06-11-2021 at 08:54 PM.

Potential Tuner

injector recomendation

[QUOTE=Slipstream;653218]I have a 2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T M6. This car is a daily driver and does not have any performance modifications, nor will it ever get any.

Within a 6 mile radius of where I live, I can go to about 5 different stations to get E85. The cheapest gas station has it at $2.499/gal whereas the cost for 87/89/91 octane are $3.959/$4.159/$4.259 per gallon. Even factoring in the 30% decrease in range, there is a favorable cost per mile by switching to E85. From my quick napkin math, the price where the cost per mile is equal is about $3.569/gal on whatever octane. By filling up a 12.6 gallon tank with 100% E85, that cost is ~$31.50. To completely fill up the tank on 87, the current cost is ~$49.88 with the spread being about $18.38.

After doing some research on using E85 on the 1.4T, it looks like the bare minimum requirements that these engines need are the sensor, pigtail/plug wiring, hose, fuel fittings, and the injectors. The sensor is ~$80, the pigtail is ~$8, and the hose and fittings should be about another $30. As for the injectors, almost everyone upgrades to the Bosch 42.5# Green Giants. These injectors look very similar to the injectors commonly used in the 3800 world. The factory 1.4T injector is rated at 28.2# and the L67 injector is rated at 34.6#. If I go to the junkyard, I can pick up 4 injectors for ~$7 each. After adding up the costs for the sensor, pigtail/plug wiring, hose, fuel fittings, and the injectors, I am looking at an upfront cost of ~$150. Given the spread of what I am saving at the pump and my upfront cost, any fuel used after the next 8.25 fillups should be saving me money before tuning it.

Can I use the L67 injectors for my daily driver? Will the slight increase in flow be enough to handle E85 on a factory engine given my use?[/QUO

42# green giant found here
    https://zzperformance.com/products/b...pr_seq=uniform

you cant just plug in a flex sensor to a cruze, nor can you just change the injectors tuning would be required for both.

Potential Tuner
    [QUOTE=hptuneruser;653307]
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
    I have a 2013 Cruze Eco 1.4T M6. This car is a daily driver and does not have any performance modifications, nor will it ever get any.

Can I use the L67 injectors for my daily driver? Will the slight increase in flow be enough to handle E85 on a factory engine given my use?[/QUO

42# green giant found here
    https://zzperformance.com/products/b...pr_seq=uniform

you cant just plug in a flex sensor to a cruze, nor can you just change the injectors tuning would be required for both.
    My apologies, because I was posting here, I thought it was already implied that I have HPTuners and the credits applied towards the car. My questions were geared towards the hardware required to run E85, not the software.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2013 Cruze and a 2014 Sonic that both run E85 with the green giant injectors and tuning the relevant tables. There is no need that I have found for the hardware as the ECM appears to adjust just fine without it.

For the tune the flex sensor has to be enabled. I personally used Deatschwerks 60lb injectors in mine when I did it. 42lb are kind of borderline with E85 if you add any power at all. 50lb is a better choice than 42lb but they do work. One other thing I found is that the turbo 1.4 has a goofy exhaust cam. They benefit a lot by getting one of the larger NA exhaust cams for something like a Volt or an intake cam installed in the exhaust side. The latter requires a special tool that ZZPERFORMANCE has but I am not sure if it can be purchased separately from one one of thier cam kits. You would have to call them about it. My car idles better with the cam swap than it did stock. The throttle is closed more than stock and the timing is much more stable at idle.

Tuner in Training
    This is what I ran and added part number 640163 a 90 degree an fitting.
    https://paceperformance.com/i-223734...ensor-kit.html

Potential Tuner
    Due to the increased demand in the used car market, I ended up selling my car and getting more than I though it was worth. I wasn't able to confirm that the L67 injectors are big enough for E85 on a daily driver. However, I still believe they should be just enough on an stock 1.4T engine (in case this pops up in future searches).