Thread: MDS Solenoid Vale (Tuning it to stay open)

Tuner in Training

MDS Solenoid Vale (Tuning it to stay open)

Hi all,
    is there an easy way to keep the MDS solenoids open through HPTuners without affecting anything else? Assuming not, but thought I'd re-throw the question out there.

Thanks,

ok correct me if I am wrong but commanding the mds solenoid to stay open would mean you are running in 4cyl mode constantly, correct?

and if I am correct in that, Why would you want to run a v8 as a 4cyl???

Tuner in Training
    I’ve replaced the lifters with non-mds lifters and a supporting cam. I’d like to feed pressurized oil into the gullies permanently to improve the lifters lubrication and thereby reducing the chance of a lifter roller failure. If I can’t, I’ll just pull the 4 solenoids and use plugs. Should have the same effect.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sPHYNX View Post
    I’ve replaced the lifters with non-mds lifters and a supporting cam. I’d like to feed pressurized oil into the gullies permanently to improve the lifters lubrication and thereby reducing the chance of a lifter roller failure. If I can’t, I’ll just pull the 4 solenoids and use plugs. Should have the same effect.
    just disable mds

Tuner in Training
    Not sure I’m explaining it properly, but I want the solenoids open, all the time. Disabled MDS would mean the solenoids are never energized.

Tuner
    Put the plugs and be done. You cant tune the solenoids to stay open as that would affect other parameters for those cylinders as ECM would think it should be cutting fuel etc... Don't forget the the little
    magnets down in the block under the solenoids.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the feedback. I’ll order those and move on, was hoping these was an easy way out.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by UHemiNow View Post
    Put the plugs and be done. You cant tune the solenoids to stay open as that would affect other parameters for those cylinders as ECM would think it should be cutting fuel etc... Don't forget the the little
    I agree, remove solenoids and fit plugs in your case. I am not aware of any magnets under the solenoids, news to me.
    2010 Jeep GC 5.7 Eagle Head motor, 2" OME lift, cats removed, full MDS delete

Just dump the MDS Solenoids even with them Disabled they still restrict some of the flow , the plunger from the MDS sits about 1/4 of the way in that galley.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Quote Originally Posted by UHemiNow View Post
    there are no magnets under the solenoids, the plunger has a magnet in it..

https://youtu.be/Gl5a5kY1D0c
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Tuner
    Thanks PurpleRam for clearing that up.

sPHYNX, please give feedback on fuel consumption once you have got rid of the MDS system.
    2010 Jeep GC 5.7 Eagle Head motor, 2" OME lift, cats removed, full MDS delete

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by skala308 View Post
    Thanks PurpleRam for clearing that up.

sPHYNX, please give feedback on fuel consumption once you have got rid of the MDS system.
    We've rarely seen any decrease in mileage, and generally see an increase. A lot of that can vary depending on driving/road conditions ie a lot of flat highway driving vs stop and go, or hills