View Poll Results: Should I Tune them myself?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes Scott, be a man!

2 100.00%
  • No, let the pros do it.

0 0%

Thread: Newbie - contemplating tuning recent LS swaps myself

Tuner in Training

Newbie - contemplating tuning recent LS swaps myself

Good Afternoon All,

In the last year I have completed an LS3/TR6060 swap from a 2013 SS Camaro into a '73 Corvette, and a LS6/4L60E from a 2002 Z28 into a '75 Corvette. Both run pretty well but are in need of a tune. I was going to take it to a tuning shop, but then thought maybe I would do it myself, I am putting together a list of pros and cons regarding getting into doing it myself and was looking for input:

Pros
    Cheaper(?) - the local tuners want about $500-$800 for each car, it seems with the hardware and credits using HP tuner would be cheaper than that for two cars
    Fun - I have restored several cars and built engines/rebuilt carbs/ etc. so this seems right up my alley, also have an ME degree and took internal combustion engine design in college and for much of my professional life I have worked on control systems for nuclear power plants / refineries etc so this is just a smaller version of that.
    Quality - potentially can get a better tune than the local guy

Cons
    May bust something.
    May end up with worse tune.

Let me know any thoughts or advice!

Thanks,

Scott
    Frederick, MD

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    depending on the parts on both projects, and the time on your hands. both GEN III and GenVI are fairly straight forward
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

With your background and all the Tutorials and Videos available I don't see any problems doing it yourself.
    And if you decide to change this down the road you can dial that in yourself.

Only draw back I see is time, as mentioned above, (Learning and Tuning)
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by dhoagland View Post
    With your background and all the Tutorials and Videos available I don't see any problems doing it yourself.
    And if you decide to change this down the road you can dial that in yourself.

Only draw back I see is time, as mentioned above, (Learning and Tuning)
    I plan on getting the MPVI2 with two credits from Summit today, that will get me started on the LS6, stand by for lots of questions!

Scott

Advanced Tuner
    I?d order it with the pro feature set so you can wire in a wideband. You can use the AEM with the obd2 pass through on some models (2010ish+ IIRC), but it doesn?t support the older Gen3 stuff on pass through