Thread: 6.7 Throttle response

6.7 Throttle response

I mapped out these maps for throttle filtering. Is this what is needed to make the throttle more responsive?
    If so, which ones are needed and what do you set them to? Just zero them?
    Thanks

Throttle filtering maps.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jr2185 View Post
    I mapped out these maps for throttle filtering. Is this what is needed to make the throttle more responsive?
    If so, which ones are needed and what do you set them to? Just zero them?
    Thanks

Throttle filtering maps.jpg
    Basically those are the time constants for the pedal filtering (think like an RC Curcuit). The time constant is typically ~1/4th the time for a system to reach the transient response, or in this case for the actual torque to equal requested torque. By setting those to 0 you are making the pedal to torque system react instantly, with no time delay. There should be 2 tip in as well as 2 tip out map for all gears, including reverse and neutral. One of those is open powertrain (TC unlocked) and one for close (TC locked) you need to zero all of them of you want no delay ever.

Quote Originally Posted by CKrueg View Post
    Basically those are the time constants for the pedal filtering (think like an RC Curcuit). The time constant is typically ~1/4th the time for a system to reach the transient response, or in this case for the actual torque to equal requested torque. By setting those to 0 you are making the pedal to torque system react instantly, with no time delay. There should be 2 tip in as well as 2 tip out map for all gears, including reverse and neutral. One of those is open powertrain (TC unlocked) and one for close (TC locked) you need to zero all of them of you want no delay ever.
    So would it be advisable to not zero them and just lower them?

So would it be advisable to not zero them and just lower them?
    Mine are all zeroed and I love it. However if your driving off road a lot or don't want it to be too touchy that might be excessive.

Mine are all zeroed and I love it. However if your driving off road a lot or don't want it to be too touchy that might be excessive.
    Agreed i do some slow driving in parking lots and sometimes it can be a little rowdy, i keep it closer to stock in low torque areas, but when i tip in it gets it!

Thanks for your help, guys. One more question, what do you do with tip out? Same or leave stock?

Thanks for your help, guys. One more question, what do you do with tip out? Same or leave stock?
    It's really how it feels, I've had one setting work great on one truck and on another not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    It's really how it feels, I've had one setting work great on one truck and on another not so much.
    A lot of this can also depend on the pedal to toque map, if its pretty aggressive at lower pedal positions this can easily make the truck really jerkey. I actually made my pedal to torque a little less sensitive off idle and it helped, while keeping the instant response.

Banned
    isnt that the same as ramp time? instead of zero wouldn't you want to make everything 1.0?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerstrokecustoms View Post
    isnt that the same as ramp time? instead of zero wouldn't you want to make everything 1.0?
    Its not like the map on the 6.0 and 7.3 that you set to 1. This map effects the time constant for pedal output. Ive confirmed setting to 0 results in no pedal lag. Feels like an old throttle cable engine.

Tuner in Training
    Have any of you guys done a 13-14 with an upgraded charger from a 15/16 truck?

I'm having some trouble getting off idle response where I'd like it. Any tips would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by HBSSROB View Post
    Have any of you guys done a 13-14 with an upgraded charger from a 15/16 truck?

I'm having some trouble getting off idle response where I'd like it. Any tips would be appreciated!
    I haven't done any 15+ retrofit tuning for the 13-14, but I would recommend looking at VGT position mapping, driver demand tables, and fueling tables. Also, adjusting the timing tables will help spool the 15+ turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad0407 View Post
    I haven't done any 15+ retrofit tuning for the 13-14, but I would recommend looking at VGT position mapping, driver demand tables, and fueling tables. Also, adjusting the timing tables will help spool the 15+ turbo.
    Another thing to look at to improve throttle response is the tip in/out tables. You can gain a lot of response by lowering those.

Tuner in Training
    Another thing to look at to improve throttle response is the tip in/out tables. You can gain a lot of response by lowering those.
    Do you have an A2L paramater name for these? I don't think they are in HP but I can add them. If you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

Do you have an A2L paramater name for these? I don't think they are in HP but I can add them. If you can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
    They are under "DRF" Driver request filter. The Maps are labeled "base time constant for reference filter in gear position 1 corresponding to engine speed and actual engine torque (tip-in)" and so on for the rest of the gears. Tip in and tip out for all gears, open powertrain (TC unlocked) and TC locked.

Tuner in Training
    They are under "DRF" Driver request filter. The Maps are labeled "base time constant for reference filter in gear position 1 corresponding to engine speed and actual engine torque (tip-in)" and so on for the rest of the gears. Tip in and tip out for all gears, open powertrain (TC unlocked) and TC locked.
    I have those mapped, but noticed little to no difference zeroing the maps. Maybe a touch more fuel being added, but I can't get the charger to come on sooner than 1800-2k rpm.

I'll double check my UDF file... maybe I botched something there. It sure seems like the inferred vgt position is just wrong.

I have those mapped, but noticed little to no difference zeroing the maps. Maybe a touch more fuel being added, but I can't get the charger to come on sooner than 1800-2k rpm.

I'll double check my UDF file... maybe I botched something there. It sure seems like the inferred vgt position is just wrong.
    If your lambda limit is being clipped you won't see much of a difference. Also what year is your truck or what turbo does it have?