Thread: 6L80E Tuning Questions

Tuner

6L80E Tuning Questions

Right to the point... a lot of searching, but I couldn't find anything to answer these. I'm a total newb when it comes to the 6L80E platforms.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT (E38/T43)

1) Is there a general consensus of what's too much TCC Line pressure? I've had to increase the offset and apply ramp pressure quite a bit to keep a converter locked while decently accelerating (<30% throttle). Cruising at 70mph requires ~80psi, and the pressure required to maintain a hold while lightly accelerating requires ~110psi. I'm currently at the point where it needs more pressure to hold under higher TQ loads, but I am concerned about adding the pressure without reaching out to the pros here. Surely the folks running high HP and locking at WOT can shed some light on this.

2) For this "older" platform is the Virtual Torque table solely used for TQ Management? Seems like the later platforms use it for shift timing and other airflow/TQ based functions within the tune, but this version doesn't appear to have much affect at all outside of TQ management calcs.

Thanks in advance!

Tuner
    Can anyone help with these questions, please? Even if it is just a guess or conversation piece, it is welcome here!

Senior Tuner
    1) Unlocked at WOT, I'm no help to you there. But I do run the max TCC pressure of 758kPa with adapts off to keep it locked solid during cruise. Anything above 50% throttle and it slips. It's not a very good aftermarket converter I have.

2) Throttle follower, traction control, trans torque management and LINE PRESSURE. VTT's are extremely important for auto guys.
    The shift pressure tables handle your shift pressures, but the VTT's effect how much line pressure you have when in gear as well as other obvious shift things like which row you're in for shift times/ pressures etc.
    Also, the torque management role the VTT's effect us quite pronounced, for example with under reported torque, and 100% torque management requested, a lower amount of spark is pulled. Conversely, increase the VTT's still with 100% torque management allowed, and you will find alot more spark is pulled, in fact well into the negatives for the fast shifts if your ecm spark settings will let it go that low.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    1) Unlocked at WOT, I'm no help to you there. But I do run the max TCC pressure of 758kPa with adapts off to keep it locked solid during cruise. Anything above 50% throttle and it slips. It's not a very good aftermarket converter I have. I am only concerned with TCC pressure (locked). Just wondering if anyone has a "do not exceed value" they generally go by. Interesting... I don't even see a TCC related table that limits it to 758kpa.

2) Throttle follower, traction control, trans torque management and LINE PRESSURE. VTT's are extremely important for auto guys.
    The shift pressure tables handle your shift pressures, but the VTT's effect how much line pressure you have when in gear as well as other obvious shift things like which row you're in for shift times/ pressures etc.
    Also, the torque management role the VTT's effect us quite pronounced, for example with under reported torque, and 100% torque management requested, a lower amount of spark is pulled. Conversely, increase the VTT's still with 100% torque management allowed, and you will find alot more spark is pulled, in fact well into the negatives for the fast shifts if your ecm spark settings will let it go that low.Sorry for the confusion; I understand how TM and VTT work together. I am just wondering what other roles the VTT plays on this platform. From what I can tell, it is only taken into account when applying any form of Torque Management. On other platforms (newer models) it seems to do a lot more.
    See comments in red.

Senior Tuner
    No stress.

From the transmissions point of view it determines your in gear line pressure.
    On the ECM side the idle circuit uses it. The effect is quite pronounced if you can get the torque reading right on a cammed car.
    And any other stuff that has torque as a table axis or parameter.
    Thats all i know.
    Gen 5 is a whole different beast.

There is a 6L80 / 90 builders facebook group that has some very knowledgeable people. I recommend reaching out there. Hopefully someone will know what the shaft seals and TCC piston can take.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    No stress.

From the transmissions point of view it determines your in gear line pressure.
    On the ECM side the idle circuit uses it. The effect is quite pronounced if you can get the torque reading right on a cammed car.
    And any other stuff that has torque as a table axis or parameter.
    Thats all i know.
    Gen 5 is a whole different beast.

There is a 6L80 / 90 builders facebook group that has some very knowledgeable people. I recommend reaching out there. Hopefully someone will know what the shaft seals and TCC piston can take.
    Fair enough. You hit the nail on the head - I am just saying you can game the torque side of things on this gen ECM where on a Gen 5, it seems MUCH more critical and not easily gamed.

Thanks for the advice. Didn't know there was a page for that, but I should have known! HA!