Thread: Engine Threw a Rod with new tuner file Attached.

Potential Tuner

Engine Threw a Rod with new tuner file Attached.

Attached is the file when the engine blew. At this time not thinking it was the tuners fault. Just wanted to get some input and see if you guys see anything in the file.

It seems like it threw a rod out the oil pan.

2010 Base Vette
    A and A Supercharger kit
    Secondary drive belt system
    Alky Meth Injection
    91 pump gas
    3400 Stall ConverterEngine Blown 4-24-21.hpl

I don't see a tune file. Does your scan include a wideband input? Did you confirm the rod thru the oilpan? I see a lot of channels missing to determine much---might just be my setup though.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    He did have a wide band connected.
    I have not been able to confirm exactly what happned but huge hold in oil pan.

Advanced Tuner
    From what I see in the log, the tune looks okay but a little aggressive on A/F ratio until >5500 RPM RPM. If the engine had stock rods and top ring end gap, I'd guess that either the ring ends butted and jammed a piston in its bore or the stock powered metal rods just let go from the torque load at WOT. One odd thing in that log was the timing going to zero a bit before the end of the power pull. If I can believe the O2 readings, bank 1 looks like it might have gone lean. Guessing from the MAF airflow, the engine was producing 800+ HP when it let go. What were dyno numbers for that pull? Not sure that I believe the rock steady fuel pressure reading, was the fuel system really that good? That much airflow required a lot of fuel!

Potential Tuner
    Bosch 60lb injectors and a boost a pump, also had meth injection with 80meth 20water.

Pictures of failed parts?
    This can tell the story: Failed bolt, broken wrist pin, Spun bearing, ETC...
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by pannetron View Post
    From what I see in the log, the tune looks okay but a little aggressive on A/F ratio until >5500 RPM RPM. If the engine had stock rods and top ring end gap, I'd guess that either the ring ends butted and jammed a piston in its bore or the stock powered metal rods just let go from the torque load at WOT. One odd thing in that log was the timing going to zero a bit before the end of the power pull. If I can believe the O2 readings, bank 1 looks like it might have gone lean. Guessing from the MAF airflow, the engine was producing 800+ HP when it let go. What were dyno numbers for that pull? Not sure that I believe the rock steady fuel pressure reading, was the fuel system really that good? That much airflow required a lot of fuel!
    c6s (other than zr1) don't have a fuel pressure sender and will say 58 psi all the time.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    another main issue is that your not measuring boost and relying on the stock map sensor
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Senior Tuner
    I wonder what the big timing dip was... burst knock? Maybe but doubtful. maybe traction control.. does look like speed gets a little loose like its spinning.

I don't think the AFR commanded is a big deal. Timing before the big dip looks reasonable.

It would have been helpful to have wideband on the log.. I don't see it. Also oil pressure. The thing might have just starved for oil

The only thing I see that I don't personally like is it seems like the stock map sensor was used..

Just a heads up.. as a professional reading threads like this. You'll get a bunch comments from the peanut gallery about this and that wrong. These same people might only have 1 or 2 cars under their belt. I don't know who did your car but i'd read these comments with a open mind. This is the internet lol
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Thanks for the Peanut gallery reference. We always bow to your professional excellence in these matters. There are a lot of threads that you have not posted in yet---so, get busy O' Great One.
    Signed
    The Internet, lol
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Advanced Tuner
    not really enough pids being logged. The drop in O2 voltage on bank 1 is concerning though. Timing is extremely erratic as well. Like mentioned already, you really need to sift through the carnage to see what caused the failure.
    2018 Camaro SS, Maggie 2650, 103 TB, Big Gulp, E85