Thread: Basic Overview of 6.7 Tuning?

Potential Tuner

Basic Overview of 6.7 Tuning?

I've had a few Duramax's (LBZ and two LB7s) and am familiar enough with EFI Live that I can pull a stock tune file and upload someone else's modified tune via my laptop. Other than that, I have not done any tuning.

I just picked up my first Ford diesel, a 2015 6.7

Since I'm new to the Ford and HP Tuners, I'm wondering if I can get an overview of the process. I think I understand it's pretty different from EFI Live.

I'm trying to figure out if I can tackle tuning on my own for this truck. I don't want any more power than stock, I just want to be able to make a few tweaks and re-flash my truck without bricking it. I certainly don't want to wind up with any less power than stock.

Can someone explain the basic overview of the process?

If I get HP Tuners software, how do I obtain the stock file from my truck?

Once I have my stock file in hand from the truck, do I simply load it into HP Tuners software and tweak away?

Once I've done what I want to the file, how do I get it back to the truck?

I've seen some people talking about downloading base files from Ford, what is that about?

What about some talk I've seen of converting to BIN files?

I'm sure I'm sounding like a total newb, but any help is appreciated. TYIA

Hi fl0w3n,

Congrats on your first Ford Diesel, to get your stock file, you would need to read the vehicle. You can do this by downloading the HPT VCM Suite, I recommend downloading the BETA version since there are more parameters. You would go to the editor and go to "read vehicle" and pull the stock file. Once you have the stock file, you can go ahead and make your tweaks. Once you are done with your edits/changes, you should save your file and go to "write vehicle". Make sure that you have purchased credits for the module you are wanting to upload the file to, this is called licensing. For a 2015, you would only need 2 credits. There's a process on how to purchase credits, and etc on the HPT website. To my knowledge, BIN files are used with other tuning platforms such as Ezlynk. The base files from Ford come as VBF files which are converted to BIN. If you're only going to use HPT, then no need to worry about BIN files.

Have fun tuning your 2015. There's a lot of potential with these trucks just off the bat when it comes to just tuning alone, even with the DPF intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad0407 View Post
    Hi fl0w3n,

Congrats on your first Ford Diesel, to get your stock file, you would need to read the vehicle. You can do this by downloading the HPT VCM Suite, I recommend downloading the BETA version since there are more parameters. You would go to the editor and go to "read vehicle" and pull the stock file. Once you have the stock file, you can go ahead and make your tweaks. Once you are done with your edits/changes, you should save your file and go to "write vehicle". Make sure that you have purchased credits for the module you are wanting to upload the file to, this is called licensing. For a 2015, you would only need 2 credits. There's a process on how to purchase credits, and etc on the HPT website. To my knowledge, BIN files are used with other tuning platforms such as Ezlynk. The base files from Ford come as VBF files which are converted to BIN. If you're only going to use HPT, then no need to worry about BIN files.

Have fun tuning your 2015. There's a lot of potential with these trucks just off the bat when it comes to just tuning alone, even with the DPF intact.
    .VBF and .BIN files are more for flashing a specific base file strategy for your truck, which is useful when you are using User Defined Parameters. Since you are just starting out, I wouldn't worry about that. I would recommend doing as much research as possible about how these engines work and what some of the parameters do before you change them.

Tuner in Training
    Just an FYI, HP Academy has a practical tuning module on a 2017 F350 Power Stroke. The videos are done by Nick from Duramax Tuner. He aims to get 80 rwhp out of it.
    Last edited by Lins; 04-29-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lins View Post
    Just an FYI, HP Academy has a practical tuning module on a 2017 F350 Power Stroke. The videos are done by Nick from Duramax Tuner. He aims to get 80 rwhp out of it.
    Oh sweet! I'll definitely look into that. I've listened to their podcast a couple times.

I'm playing around with the software and a random 6.7 file I found to see what it looks like. It seems like under DTC's you could just disable certain P codes, but I assume that only stops it from coming up on a scanner. I'm guessing I'd need to look at "Modes" under various "Engine" tabs to ensure power levels are where I want them at each "Mode"?

Tuner in Training
    Disabling CEL will typically do only that, it won't change how the ECM reacts to the issue it's seeing.

Good post and pretty much what I was going to ask in regards to diesel. Picking up a 2015 Platnum in a few days. Done plenty of Gas tuning but have never even looked at a diesel tune yet. Are they torque based like a GM GEN V or fuel or airflow based?
    I always tune VVE....
    2016 C7 M7 Z51
    Callies ultra billet crank
    Callies ultra billet rods
    Diamond pistons
    Jhonson high speed lifters
    Ported and polished headwork
    Custom cam
    YSi-V7

They are torque based.