Thread: Dyno tuning issues

Dyno tuning issues

I have a 2014 Ram 5.7l that i am currently trying to dyno tune, not having the least bit of success.

Truck has shorty headers, cai, and a cam. NO CAM PHASER, NO VVT. VVT has been disabled in the tune along with neural network.

First of all, i am only able to perform tuneable runs at above 4000-4500rpm due to not having access to adjust the parameters to keep it from downshifting, unless i pay $200 for the 4 tcm credits just to be able to perform a full dyno run. I am accepting that that is just not going to happen.

Primary issue though is, the very first run, not having touched anything to do with wot, has so far made the most power. Ever since that first run, power has decreased from there due to timing being pulled. Getting fuel dialed in does make more power than the tune i started with, however, there is still a 20hp/50lbft gap between what is makes now and what it made on the very first run. I also have run it multiple days now, so anything to do with heat has been ruled out. I have even copied the WOT base timing table over to the WOT Thermal table with no luck. Example of what i am seeing for timing: Very first run at 5k rpms the truck was running 16.5deg, whereas every run after that has been at most 10.5deg and as little as 8deg. I have even loaded the original tune i started with back in and it is still down 60hp because somehow actual timing is less than before. Also absolutely no knock retard in these runs so rule that out too. Nothing in the logs show any explanation for this, i have everything to do with ignition logged.
    I had gotten to the point where i have added 8+ degrees to the WOT Base, WOT Thermal, MBT Base, WOT VVT Lockpin, and even Part Throttle base and while i actually did eventually make a bit more hp, torque was still way down and actually did start throwing kr in that region. Also, even though i was adding 8+ degrees, thats not atall how much it actually increased timing, more like an additional 4-6deg.

I am currently at a loss right now as the original WOT settings make the most power and the least power on the same exact tune, and everything i can do to increase power puts me somewhere in the middle. FYI that first dyno run made 318hp and 361lbft and now on the same tune is making at most 300hp and 318lbft, running 11.6-12afr(again at stock fuel settings). I can post dyno runs and logs/tune if needed.

Also, this is not my first time tuning a hemi, but is the newest one i have tuned. Few weeks ago i tuned a 2013 charger hemi with vvt without issue. I have never had any type of issue like this on a dodge platform.

I have also been having some issues tuning a 2011 corvette. Mostly strange idle issues that i have never ran into before, again i have tuned many gm gen 3 and 4 vehicles in the past, but last week it did start throwing p0606 code, along with some communication codes related to pcm and tcm, went to write it after that(had a 2014 mustang in the past get a no start and communication codes and writing the tune back in fixed it) and it said "controller unlocker: time out" and would not let me write to it again. At that point, replaced pcm and reflashed with factory software, bought another license, and continued to tune. I was writing tunes to it this morning just fine, just went back to it and not when i try to write, it says "unlicensed vehicle". Does not pull up the window that says something like "show license options", it just simply says in the vehicle writer window unlicensed vehicle.

What i am wondering now, being that these 2 vehicles are having strange things happen and the only thing they have in common is the use of the same MPVI2, if this device is responsible. Might need to open a support ticket but want to see what you guys have to say first.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    if you had a loaded dyno it would be possible, but make sure to disable traction in the VCM special functions in the scanner.

usually it works out as been tuning dodge since it was only diablo and never had issues.

with regards to your fueling and overall. cam change in does requires a complete make over for fuel and ignition
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post
    if you had a loaded dyno it would be possible, but make sure to disable traction in the VCM special functions in the scanner.

usually it works out as been tuning dodge since it was only diablo and never had issues.

with regards to your fueling and overall. cam change in does requires a complete make over for fuel and ignition
    All i have access to is an inertia dyno, no load control. As i get into 2nd gear on the dyno, abs starts applying brakes just before the brake light illuminates. when the brake light comes on, all abs functionality is ignored.

I am aware that a cam will require fuel and ignition changes. Fuel is not a problem. I set PE to 12.5 across the board, adjust ve for that target, and once that is consistent i adjust target from there for most power, given that there are no other issues as i am running into now. And i have had this truck right on target FA, like i said, fueling is not the issue.

Ignition is the problem i am dealing with as it continues to run almost half the timing on the same tune. Only thing i can come up with is that there is some hidden parameter in the scanner, maybe in the editor, that is causing this, or like i explained in previous post that maybe something is going on with the mpvi2. Also possible that the truck has an issue in itself but no clue as to where to begin to look. Truck pulls just fine, no misfires, knock retard, or anything like that. Just commands less timing and makes less power.

I have also tried disabling all torque management that has to do with spark or etc with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SultanHassanMasTuning View Post

Just went into the scanner with this truck under special functions, under traction control, and clicked disable. It brought up a window that said "unable to initialize function". Tried it with key on engine off, engine running in park, and engine running in drive.

Quote Originally Posted by performancemastersllc View Post
    Just went into the scanner with this truck under special functions, under traction control, and clicked disable. It brought up a window that said "unable to initialize function". Tried it with key on engine off, engine running in park, and engine running in drive.
    Pull the anti-lock fuse (abs fuse)

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw_50 View Post
    Pull the anti-lock fuse (abs fuse)
    x2
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q