Thread: Torque Source: "TQ+ from Trans"

Torque Source: "TQ+ from Trans"

Does anyone know which Torque Source the "TQ+ from Trans" message correlates?

Is it "Trans Tq Increase" or something else?
    Wheel Torque Limit?
    Driveshaft Protection
    ??

Tuner in Training
    bump, curious too. hitting limits in 10r80, but want to retain some torque modulation to save the trans. it hits tq+ sometimes near redline. mainly curious about the terminology itself.

Tuner in Training
    Also curious about this, old thread, will hit search a few more times but post in case someone already knows

I still haven't figured it out. I think my question was from the 6F55 in my Fusion Sport.

My 2018 Explorer 6F55 is still different from the Fusion Sport as there is a phantom 2-3 WOT torque reducer that I can't figure out and neither can HPTuners. Bangs against some kind of torque limiter that cuts spark to maintain 160 ft-lb torque. Need to do this like 3 times and eventually it stops cutting so much spark, but the engine only makes 255 ft-lb peak. I don't have this problem on the Fusion Sport that produces over 400 ft-lb torque.

Then there's the 6F55 in my 2014 Taurus SHO that was good to go from the factory, no real tweaking/tuning on the trans was needed. Did exactly what I wanted it to do, etc... Ford went backwards with the transmission tuning as time went on.

I kinda a figured it out...not entirely but, the better your TM and SD models are the less this tq+ shit occurs...just a hint.

I haven't changed anything in the engine/turbos to warrant tweaking the torque model or speed density tables (stock engine, stock turbos, stock exhaust, etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by metroplex View Post
    I haven't changed anything in the engine/turbos to warrant tweaking the torque model or speed density tables (stock engine, stock turbos, stock exhaust, etc...)
    This is your perspective, not mine however i respect your opinion but...I stand "not" corrected.

IMHO even stock vehicles need some tweaking, Ford is not even doing the best job stock for many many models...it seems they take shortcuts on the way
    once in a while and this is why you might have some problems...sometimes this is done purposefully to save the drive-train, sometimes tuner had a bad day.

You don't always need to change anything in the turbo or engine to warrant speed density or torque model changes - this is very "shallow" approach.

Advanced Tuner
    Thats the most inaccurate post Ive ever read.

Ford designs their engines trans and ecus and have a team of engineers fully intimate with each aspect along the way. Nothing is done without approval.

Each component is exhaustively modeled, tested and ran through real world paces before it can be released for production. There is no one tuner calling shots theres literally an entire group of people that have very minor specific jobs for each individual aspect of the final tune.

If something isnt functioning correctly to you then that means you dont fully understand the algorithm.

Speed density and torque model does not require adjusting on a stock engine or even an averagely modded engine.

Advanced Tuner
    Some say TQ+ is when the engine is receiving torque, as opposed to producing it. However, while coasting down and downshifting, the throttle blips open during the shift to ?rev match? of sorts. During this time, the torque source is TQ+. I believe TQ+ is when the engine is commanded to produce more torque for transmission purposes, as opposed to shift modulation where it is to produce less torque for transmission purposes.

I don?t have an explanation as to why it would want a torque increase at wot due to the transmission, but if the throttle isn?t already wide open (wot start and end not used), there may be room to increase. Perhaps it?s a specific torque profile they?re trying to achieve for the shift.

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    Thats the most inaccurate post Ive ever read.

Ford designs their engines trans and ecus and have a team of engineers fully intimate with each aspect along the way. Nothing is done without approval.

Each component is exhaustively modeled, tested and ran through real world paces before it can be released for production. There is no one tuner calling shots theres literally an entire group of people that have very minor specific jobs for each individual aspect of the final tune.

If something isnt functioning correctly to you then that means you dont fully understand the algorithm.

Speed density and torque model does not require adjusting on a stock engine or even an averagely modded engine.
    Sure, so why you are here selling tunes for cars that work perfectly? LOL

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by engineermike View Post
    Some say TQ+ is when the engine is receiving torque, as opposed to producing it. However, while coasting down and downshifting, the throttle blips open during the shift to ?rev match? of sorts. During this time, the torque source is TQ+. I believe TQ+ is when the engine is commanded to produce more torque for transmission purposes, as opposed to shift modulation where it is to produce less torque for transmission purposes.

I don?t have an explanation as to why it would want a torque increase at wot due to the transmission, but if the throttle isn?t already wide open (wot start and end not used), there may be room to increase. Perhaps it?s a specific torque profile they?re trying to achieve for the shift.

Gotcha. 2019 F150 5.0. Was trying to figure out how to shut the nannies off when working throttle on glare ice situations (glare ice on 90+% of roads up here in Alaska for 6 months out of the year)

In comparison, my 6.2 raptor allows more torque with pedal input on shifting and thus can easily produce controlled wheel spin and come into a corner with a nice controlled powerslide in 4wd.

On the 2019 if you play with the throttle into similar corners, it shuts you down for a good 1 to 1.5 seconds. Especially if you are modulating throttle on and off. It's EXTREMELY frustrating. I've seen torque mod+ pop up when I'm trying to get more torque but it stays at a flat rate until it's finished shifting.

I would have expected it to be a rising rate if you have a rising torque request. Still fairly new in trans tuning but feeling pressure to figure that stuff out given the 6.2 is far more fun to drive on the ice year round than the 2019 and would like to put some raptor running gear/OE suspension in and maybe sell the 6.2. Would rather get the drivability down first then would make it easier pulling the trigger.

Aside from the TQ+ from trans, I did eliminate the skip shifting and have a happy medium between "sport" and regular shift schedule. Interestingly, it doesn't seem that shift character 1 or 2 are populated for the "regular" F150s-- or at least the modulation tables don't make sense based on what you would think the rate of torque transfer would be.