Thread: 4L60E in Avalanche no 4th gear

Tuner in Training

4L60E in Avalanche no 4th gear

Okay I know I am missing something.
    Customer did a 5.3 to 6.0 swap all stock. The truck will not automatically shift to 4th gear. It was for about 3-4 weeks and all of the sudden no 4th. I rode with him and used the HP tuners to command 4th and it goes right in. but as soon as I unclick the 4th gear command it drops back to 3rd. I have moved the 3-4 way down and even up with no change. There are no codes and all sensors seem to be working fine. Attached are the last attempts at a tune and the log.

Any help will be appriciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Never seen just an engine swap cause that problem.

Something else you need to fix though. The cylinder volume is completely wrong for the size engine, that's likely why the VE table is so low because it's fugging the numbers to make it work. 6.0 cylinder volume is .74XXX and not 1.000, this isn't a big block 8.sumthing litre. Revert back to the right numbers and paste in a stock 6.0 VE table.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I had fixed that already it is at .7499. I had actually moved it to see if it did anything (of course it didn't). But I know someone has seen this before. the tune says it should be in 4th. All parameters (that I know Speed, TPS, RPM) are meet. but no shift to 4th?????????????????

2004 Avalanche

(Just a footnote to help out any fellow readers who might come across this, so they don't have to download and open the file just to find out what year/controller this is like I did.)

Tuner in Training
    Anyone? The drive back home for the customer it went back into 4th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Then he drove it this morning and back to 3rd and no 4th shift. Any ideas?

Only the engine swapped, kept the original trans?

Is the converter shimmed correctly? Does it have the right converter snout/crankshaft combo?

Is there any fluid in the trans connector on the case?

You know this is not going to be a tune issue, right?

Tuner in Training
    I would normally think this was not a tune issue. The only reason I do is the log shows the D4 selection but commanding gear 3. The transmission is the original transmission just rebuilt. Converter is stock , flywheel is stock.........

Just for it not to command 4th sometimes is really weird. I see no codes. But He drove it this weekend on a 2 hour drive. On the way there no 4th. On the way back it had 4th the whole trip???????????

Anyone?????

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Powell View Post
    I would normally think this was not a tune issue. The only reason I do is the log shows the D4 selection but commanding gear 3. The transmission is the original transmission just rebuilt. Converter is stock , flywheel is stock.........

Just for it not to command 4th sometimes is really weird. I see no codes. But He drove it this weekend on a 2 hour drive. On the way there no 4th. On the way back it had 4th the whole trip???????????

Anyone?????
    Complete shot in the dark here
    Try Changing the Part throttle "Hot, Performance, and Cruise Shift tables" to match the "Normal" shift table
    Last edited by dhoagland; 05-08-2021 at 12:08 AM.
    2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible L99 Bone Stock for now
    2003 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins QC 4x4. Airaid, 2nd Gen Intake, Grid Heater Delete, D-Tech 62/65/12, Magnaflow. Bully Dog: Propane Injection, Triple Dog W/Outlook Crazy Larry. Edge EZ, BD Flow-Max, 48RE: Sonnax Sure Cure/Transgo combination, Derale turbulator, billet input, Triple Disc, Super servo, 4 ring Accumulator. :beer

Tuner in Training
    I did make all the tables the same and the same occurred. Funny thing is now it has the old calibration back in and the thing has run flawless for over a week. The next step is to put a trailer behind it and see if it does the same.