Thread: Cammed LQ4 VE table looks WHACK

Tuner in Training

Cammed LQ4 VE table looks WHACK

first time tuning with hptuners and im a little concerned that im doing something wrong since my ve table is shaped nothing like the rest of the tune files ive looked at. maybe my VE tune setup is incorrect? maybe injector flow rate needs adjusting? (im kind of guessing on it. when i put in the 84lb/hr that they gave me, my VE values were all way up in the 130's so ive been lowering flow rate to get more reasonable VE numbers)

anyways my main concern is that my ve values go way up in the low map range and i dont see anyone else table doin that

only mods:
    stage 1 cam 226/226 @.598 and 111LSA
    decapped 84lb/hr injectors from precision auto injectors flow tested to be within 2% of each other
    dual valve springs
    no headers or CAI yet

2003 sierra 2500hd with lq4 and 4l80e

20210416_SD5.hpt
    SD6_Maybe.hpl
    Last edited by mtdill7; 04-29-2021 at 07:16 PM.

If you want my opinion, throw those decaps in the garbage and get real injectors. The rest of the injector data is no longer accurate when you decap them.

If you wish to use them the flow rate will stay the same, don't monkey with that value. It's the min injector pulse, short pulse adder and offset data that you are going to have to skew to make them work. You'll also need to lower the min fuel miligrams in the transient tab a little bit to help with a rich idle.

And your MAF sensor must be disabled if you are VE tuning with a wideband.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    yeah i was afraid it was because i went cheap on the injectors...

but i just got the tune and log attached to the original post so let me know if you think anything looks funny or if you still think it's the decapped injectors messing me up

Senior Tuner
    That ve table 100% looks like the injector data is bad.. That is definitely from the decapped injectors. You'll likely always have consistancy issues in fueling until you used a injector with good data.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Dang. 0 for 2. Looks like I?m going to have to spend some more money ... sorry wife.

So do most aftermarket companies send data with their injectors or how does that usually work? The ones I got just had different flow rates for different psi.

I?m going to try one more thing before I throw money at the issue tho. I?ll get volt offset, min pw, and short pulse ad data from a stock flex fuel tune and see if that makes any difference. The stock tune was for non flex injectors and I believe the decapped injectors I bought are from flex so hopefully adding the flex data will help some. Thoughts?

Yes, if you bought name brand injectors they would send the data with them usually in an email or the data is already available from their website.

You don't need huge injectors for your truck in all honestly, just larger than the stock 25lb/hr size. There are factory GM injectors that are 31lb/hr and 33lb/hr that would fit and the data can be copied straight from a tune. I'd aim for the 33's just to know you are good.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yeah I was thinking I would eventually turbo and run e85 that?s why I got the big injectors but thats too much work, I?ll just keep it NA and do heads and intake next Christmas and try to get it up to 500hp. so yeah 33lb/hr injectors would work and be nice and cheap. Win win.

Potential Tuner

De-capped injectors

Quote Originally Posted by mtdill7 View Post
    Dang. 0 for 2. Looks like I?m going to have to spend some more money ... sorry wife.

So do most aftermarket companies send data with their injectors or how does that usually work? The ones I got just had different flow rates for different psi.

I?m going to try one more thing before I throw money at the issue tho. I?ll get volt offset, min pw, and short pulse ad data from a stock flex fuel tune and see if that makes any difference. The stock tune was for non flex injectors and I believe the decapped injectors I bought are from flex so hopefully adding the flex data will help some. Thoughts?
    I am also green to tuning on HP Tuners so take this how you want. I also had 6.0, sloppy stg 2 cam, turbo, E85 and used de-capped injectors to save money. I was having all kinds of trouble with surging and getting it to run right. I was about to throw in the towel and buy new injectors but I pushed through and got it running very well, it was part of the learning process. Some very small changes made a big difference in the way it ran. If you want to get some slightly larger factory injectors that might be a lot easier and faster but there shouldn't be any reason you can't use what you have. I was also E85 with my de-capped injectors so maybe that helped with the minimum pulse width issue (if that is an issue). I wasn't able to view your scan, (I think I need your config file?) so I can't make any suggestions on the tune. How does it run? Have you been making VE changes? My VE table has smaller numbers at lower MAP pressures and gets larger as it goes up, yours is kind of the opposite.
    BTW, I never changed any other injector settings besides the injector flow rate.